BV SP

N3DQU@...

Ok guys, to keep the BV DX Special from becoming an orphan, I think it
only right that we award the endorsement to whomever has worked the most BV's
via PSK in the year 2001. As far as I know and according to the ARRL DXCC
list, the only prefix authorized for Taiwan is BV, all the others are
mainland China. If anyone has different information, let me know. Don't
forget now, you still have 11 days to get them critters in the log. Hope this
seems fair to everyone...man, what a thorn in the saddle this one has been
whew! Jay.

N3DQU@...

In a message dated 12/20/2001 4:53:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, w3hf@... writes:

Jay -

Actually, the ARRL DXCC list is not the best list for ALL prefixes. Its purpose
is simply to define the entities. For example, you won't find the EM prefix
(used by Ukraine, primarily for Antarctica), the ZX prefix (Brazil, mostly
special event I think), the 3E (Panama), CQ (Portugal), TM (France), 7J-7N
(Japan), and probably many others.You won't even find the very common
VA for Canada. Under the ARRL list, only BY and BT are listed for "China"
(PRC), and we all know that there are other prefixes. (BA and BD come to
mind.)

A more complete list of prefixes is found in the ARRL Operating Manual. But
my copy (vintage 1996) simply says "China" for BAA-BZZ. So other sources
must be used to segregate the two political entities.

   Yep, looks like you are right Steve. According to the Chinese Taipei ARL website < http://www.ctarl.org.tw/ > the Taiwan prefixes are B plus M, N, O, P, Q, U, V, W,  or X. So poo on the ARRL DXCC list! Jay.

Steve W3HF

[...]

Based on the contributions of all the 070ers on this list, Steve N6YIH/7
compiled the following list of 12 Taiwanese stations that someone has either
worked or heard:

BN0W
BQ9P
BV1YA
BV4DC
BV4QI
BV4VE
BV8BC
BX4AAC
BX4AG
BX5AA
BW0N
BW0TCC

As you can see, only 5 of the 12 have a BV prefix. But I think we have
documented that BX, BW, BN, and BQ are all Taiwanese stations. They are
listed under the HamCall server as Taiwan, in addition to identifying
themselves that way.

NG3K's DXCC page lists alternate prefixes for many countries. Under "BV
Taiwan" he also lists "BM-BQ, BU, BW, BX" which is consistent with the
above. (See http://cpcug.org/user/wfeidt/Dxcc/dxccas.html)

I think it's pretty clear that BV is just an abbreviation for Taiwan in general,
and not intended to be the only prefix, just like we might say DL to mean
Germany (when all of DA-DR would count) or ON for Belgium (when they
actually include ON-OT).

Just my humble contribution.

Dieter, DL2RR <dl2rr@...>

wrkg BV4ME and BX4AF from Miaoli (Taiwan), both cfmd with eQSL
73's de Dieter

Merry Xmas and a happy New Year with many PSK31 contacts