Remote PSK Thanks

AA8QQJMauch@...

I just finished my first completely remote PSK QSO via Ethernet. Thanks for
the answers, positive and negative. First off, I didn't have to reformat my
hard drive, or switch my systems over to Linux. N3DQU pointed me to Alan,
N7OI who held the real answer. He said he used MS Netmeeting in secure mode.
I was trying to remote control the desktop without secure mode (one little
checkbox) and it just wouldn''t work that way.

So if anyone else wants to do PSK over an Ethernet, remember these points.
Digipan can be remote controlled using Netmeeting in secure mode. Be sure to
first set up the host (Digipan) computer for secure desktop control. It
insists that you use a password so no one else can take control of the host
while you are operating from the remote PC. After that, you just start up
Netmeeting on the remote PC, place a "New Call" to the host, and enter the
password. Open Digipan in the host's desktop and your're on the air. Don't
forget to have the TXR controlled from a serial port.

73 and hope to see you all on my Remote Waterfall.
de AA8QQ - Jay

spdomingue@...

Jay

Ok so now you did this do you think the same would be true to control a PSK station thru the internet??

Steve D
N6YIH/7

AA8QQJMauch@...

Steve,
I've been talking to Charlie K6CEG about that. He says he has his station up
and running over the Internet. Don't have any reason to doubt him, that was
the next thing I wanted to try.

Jay - AA8QQ

Steve W3HF

Jay

Ok so now you did this do you think the same would be true to control
a PSK station thru the internet??

Steve D
N6YIH/7
Steve -

There's someone on the FT817 Yahoo Group who is publicizing
just that. Anyone on the internet can control his FT-817 using
NetMeeting, though it is restricted to receive only. His post is
attached. Note that I have not tried this, so I can't vouch for how
well it works

Forwarded message follows:

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:50:54 -0000
From: k7dan@yahoo.com
Subject: FT-817 Connected to the Internet!

Greetings all!

We have completed installation and testing of our Yaesu FT-817
online radio. When not traveling with me in the great outdoors, it is
available for use by anyone with an Internet connection (receive
only).

The key components in the system are Windows NetMeeting for
audio and radio control, Kingsmith Software's RATS FT-817 control
program, a Toshiba Laptop, and a fast ADSL connection.

Please accept my personal invitation to give it a try and use it
whenever you like. Your comments, feedback, or questions on the
system are welcome.

73, Dan...VR2HF/K7DAN
Hong Kong

Here's the link: http://VR2HF.tripod.com

Charles Goldwater <k6ceg@...>

Steve, I made several contacts last night on 20M using PSK and the
internet.. This is how it works for me:
Both computers must have Net Meeting installed, enabled for secure
transactions and desktop sharing.
My shack computer is connected to a cable modem via @HOME.COM and has a
fixed IP address, my laptop uses a K56 modem and a dailup connection via
@ATT.NET and uses an assigned IP address.
I connect to the Internet using my laptop's connection software. My other
computer, connected to my rig is at home turned on with the desk top
showing, Power Management is selected to "always on", the monitor may be set
to time off.
Back to the laptop, after an internet connection is established, minimize
the internet browser and click on Net Meeting Icon, click call, in the space
provided type in the IP address of the computer at home, click ok.
Shortly you will be prompted for the password of the home computer,
Passwords are setup when you set up Net Meeting, Type in the password and
enter.
You will soon see your home computers desktop, click on your favorite PSK
program ---- Your in business..
There is a delay when using this system, perhaps the software could be
better. But Net Meeting is FREE
and it will be used by me for remote QSO's until better software becomes
available...
I can be anywhere on this planet and still practice my Ham radio hobby
and/or use anyone's rig that has a similar setup..
73 K6CEG Charlie
If I can do it anyone can..