Frustration

Jerry N9AVY

Tried to grab one of the newer 070 members today and for the last few days, but he seems to sign out and change frequency in one quick move. Even tried "tail-ending" which I hate to do, but it didn't work. Also tried calling him after the other station signed. That didn't work either. Ran out of options . aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh ! Oh the pain of not being heard... guess it's time to put amp back in the station.

Jerry n9avy

Ken N6PCD

Jerry,
I feel yer pain!  I believe you’re not being heard because there is simply no one out there to hear you. It seems with the advent of the FT modes, PSK has largely been abandoned. Too bad, it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

Jerry N9AVY

I'm being heard, but I think it's (1) propagation or (2) the station changed frequency very fast.

Jerry

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 08:55:40 AM CDT, Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:

Jerry,

I feel yer pain!  I believe you’re not being heard because there is simply no one out there to hear you. It seems with the advent of the FT modes, PSK has largely been abandoned. Too bad, it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

malcolm heard

From a newcomer Ke0jbt. Over last few months have seen multiple references saying bored with ft modes and like to talk to people.  We shall see.

Malcolm
Ke0jbt

--

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street

Leadership • Culture • Talent

Jerry N9AVY

Over the past few months I've chatted with several operators who have expressed their opinion that FT-8 is boring and find more satisfaction in PSK. While I'm sure there are probably those who like FT-8, I eel that many hams are about "communicating" more than making contacts. Hams have always been about making friendly contacts with other hams... it's part of our heritage !

Jerry N9AVY

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 09:18:59 AM CDT, malcolm heard <heardmalcolm2017@...> wrote:

From a newcomer Ke0jbt. Over last few months have seen multiple references saying bored with ft modes and like to talk to people.  We shall see.

Malcolm
Ke0jbt

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 8:55 AM Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:
Jerry,
I feel yer pain!  I believe you’re not being heard because there is simply no one out there to hear you. It seems with the advent of the FT modes, PSK has largely been abandoned. Too bad, it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

--

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street
Lincoln, NE 68516
heardmalcolm2017@...
402.202.3853

Leadership • Culture • Talent

K7DWI Art

Make that too, to or two.
I moved to Southern Oregon from central Arizona last summer and got a couple of antennas up in August.
The XYL and I found our dream home, but it is stuck up next to a hill 650 feet higher to my East.... and a larger mountain behind it.
Since then, I find it impossible to work anything lower than 80 degrees azimuth. Europe is not in my future except for polar paths.
I have tried to make an appearance in a few 070 events. I have only made 6 QSO's, 2 to Alan in Valdez Alaska and 1 to JM7OLW.
I have heard a few others, but have had no luck. I run about 25-35 watts out at most.
I value my rigs and use the 50/50 rule.
So for the time being, I am giving in to the Evils of FT8 and accepting that it is easier for me to work around the Pacific Ocean than Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York.
Also I am learning about 12, 10, 6 and I hope 2 Meter propagation here in the Northwest. I was greatly disappointed when the 070 June VHF ended.
Maybe later on I will come up with a portable operating (I have a boat load of Mobile antennas) system and do some hill/mountain topping in the WIne (whine) Country.
I will try to be around when I can. Alan needs the points :)
73 Art K7DWI 070#2518 CN82

Alan Sorum WL7CG

I feel your pain! My QTH is in coastal mountain canyon, with a significant mountain across the street. I have an east-west corridor to work with, so it's America and the Pacific. Forget Africa, the Middle East or Europe. I do hope improved solar conditions will help that out. I do like PSK, but it's tough sledding right now. I was surprised how many contacts the stations made back east in the last contest.

Hope everyone is staying safe.

73 Alan WL7CG

On 4/23/20 7:45 AM, K7DWI Art wrote:
[...]

The Grid and Prefix Awards Program - GAPA
http://gapaawards.com https://groups.io/g/GAPA

Lauri Lundgren, N1UKX

I feel operating FT-8 is like having the computer do the crossword for you.

Paula K7PAX #1739

Well, on the bright side, I have worked Alan several times from Washington state, (plus a few other Alaska and Yukon stations) and those in the eastern half of the country envy the ease with which we work Alaska and Japan from here. So there’s that!

Paula K7PAX, #1739

[...]

Bill Morton

Lauri, I guess I am confused – then why are you on a group for those interested in PSK operation?

Bill

W4ASE