Ham Radio Deluxe alternative

James Wilson

I have used HRD for years but lately it's been causing issues.  Not sure it is HRD's fault but other programs work fine.  Right now when I transmit it picks up the radio microphone, frustrating, where as JTDX works fine.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to HRD.

Thank you
73 K6WRJ

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

Go to DM780 open Program Options settings for Soundcard and make sure you have your Codec device selected for Microphone and Speaker.

Sounds like you have line in. This happens if you happen to open 780 without your COdEC or sound card running. Btw, the same thing can happen on JTDX.

Steve
VA3FLF

On Apr 18, 2020, at 18:55, sagejw@... wrote:

I have used HRD for years but lately it's been causing issues.  Not sure it is HRD's fault but other programs work fine.  Right now when I transmit it picks up the radio microphone, frustrating, where as JTDX works fine.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to HRD.

Thank you
73 K6WRJ

Richard Rohrer

K6WRJ,

My suggestion would be to switch to Fldigi.  I use HRD for about 15 years unitl the 6.0 version came out.  I found it to have many bugs and be very bloated.  I had tried Fldigi before, but had not like it, but I made the change when I started running mobile digital and my computer at the time only had 32G memory.  There are some features of HRD, especially DM780 that I really like, but I have gotten use to not having them.  Just my thoughts.

73
Dick - KC3EF

James Wilson

Thank you. I figured out the issue and correct solution. I was using usb mode to see the full spectrum in digital modes.  Switching to digital mode fixed the issue but I could only see a small portion of the band. I searched and found a YouTube video on how to fix through settings and ultimately switching from nar to wide. Seems simple now.

73 k6wrj

On Apr 18, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Steve R via groups.io <oldjavadrinker@...> wrote:

Go to DM780 open Program Options settings for Soundcard and make sure you have your Codec device selected for Microphone and Speaker.

Sounds like you have line in. This happens if you happen to open 780 without your COdEC or sound card running. Btw, the same thing can happen on JTDX.

Steve
VA3FLF

On Apr 18, 2020, at 18:55, sagejw@... wrote:

I have used HRD for years but lately it's been causing issues.  Not sure it is HRD's fault but other programs work fine.  Right now when I transmit it picks up the radio microphone, frustrating, where as JTDX works fine.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to HRD.

Thank you
73 K6WRJ

Ray Clements

Ham Radio Deluxe is up to version 6.7.0.277. That is a far cry from version 6.0 which admittedly had its share of bugs. The initial change from the free version of HRD to the paid version was not without some hiccups, but most of them have been resolved.

Although I do not use all of the capabilities of HRD, I have found that it works quite well with Windows 10. It has been quite a while since I encountered a bug.

Personally, I never liked Fldigi due to the separate modules- fldigi, flog, frig, etc. I prefer the integration of HRD. But to each his own. It is nice to have choices.

N9RWC

My suggestion would be to switch to Fldigi.  I use HRD for about 15 years unitl the 6.0 version came out.  I found it to have many bugs and be very bloated.  I had tried Fldigi before, but had not like it, but I made the change when I started running mobile digital and my computer at the time only had 32G memory.  There are some features of HRD, especially DM780 that I really like, but I have gotten use to not having them.  Just my thoughts.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Richard Rohrer

Hi Ray,

You don't have to use all of the other modules, just Fldigi since it has built in rig control and a logger.  My biggest problem with HRD is that I liked DM780 for digital, but did not necessarily need most all of the capabilities of HRD it's self, since I can still push the buttons on the radio, hi hi.  I gave it up because the program size, but since its hard to run DM780 without HRD.  I did run DM780 as a stand alone for about 6 months, but kept finding that I forgot to enter the frequency, etc, so the logging was not correct.  If DM780 had rig control and api for N3FJP logger I would use it instead of Fldigi.  I think that DM780 is one of the best all around digital mode programs.  In the Hell contest yesterday I ran Fldigi as my main receive program and DM780 on another screen so I could move around to see who the other traces were without moving my main transmit frequency.  The only problem I have with either program is neither will do FSK RTTY which I like to use in RTTY contests.  So I have to use N1MM+ for that.  So I end up using about three different programs for digital, hi hi.  Just my thoughts.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

Would be nice if there was one hunk of software that would do everything and please everyone. Unfortunately, I doubt that will ever happen. Someone once said that "you can please some of the people all the time, but you can't please all the people all the time ...". Think this is most true with computers and software. That is why there have been so many reincarnations of Windows from Microsoft.

Jerry n9avy

On Sunday, April 19, 2020, 01:23:08 PM CDT, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jerry,

That would be nice, but it would probably be too large and slow to be useful.  The company I worked for in Atlanta tried to do that with boiler cleaning control software.  They wanted it to be configurable, no matter what the size of the boiler.  The software got to be almost to complex to maintain and a pain for we engineers that had to go to sites to set it up.  Oh well, must not have enough to do, spending too much time on the computer, hi hi.

73
Dick - KC3EF