MFJ Anecdote


radio@hollywoodtitle.com <radio@...>
 

Hello Group,

I know MFJ gets a bad rap sometimes for their quality and quality control, so here is a funny little anecdote.

When I first got my general ticket in 2004, my elmer gave me an old, beat up MFJ 949 Versa Tuner. I used it for years and made thousands of contacts. Since I was mostly using multi-band doublets, I decided to splurge on a big, expensive Palstar AT2K tuner. Lately the variable capacitor on the output didn’t seem to be working, so today I cracked the case. Turns out the couplers from the dials to the variable capacitors and the inductor are all cracked and damaged, the output has broken failed completely. They appear to be made of PVC.

So the moral of the story is that I am back to using my supposedly cheap, poorly-made, used MFJ 929 that has never failed in 16+ years .

Go figure. Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS


Jerry N9AVY
 

Sometimes bigger isn't better.

Jerry

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 01:58:04 PM CDT, radio@... <radio@...> wrote:


Hello Group,

I know MFJ gets a bad rap sometimes for their quality and quality control, so here is a funny little anecdote.

When I first got my general ticket in 2004, my elmer gave me an old, beat up MFJ 949 Versa Tuner.  I used it for years and made thousands of contacts.  Since I was mostly using multi-band doublets, I decided to splurge on a big, expensive Palstar AT2K tuner.  Lately the variable capacitor on the output didn’t seem to be working, so today I cracked the case.  Turns out the couplers from the dials to the variable capacitors and the inductor are all cracked and damaged, the output has broken failed completely.  They appear to be made of PVC.

So the moral of the story is that I am back to using my supposedly cheap, poorly-made, used MFJ 929 that has never failed in 16+ years .

Go figure.  Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS


Mike - W0TMW #2207
 

I've had a number of MFJ products over the years, mostly tuners, I'll admit, and have had zero problems. My 1990's era antenna analyzer still works, too---better than some of the new other brands when compared in the field.

Mike - W0TMW #2207

--

"Lose not thy airspeed, lest the ground rises up and smites thee."
  -- William Kershner
https://m-watson.com (Mike Watson - Writer Website)
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 4/12/20 1:57 PM, radio@... wrote:

Hello Group,

I know MFJ gets a bad rap sometimes for their quality and quality control, so here is a funny little anecdote. 

When I first got my general ticket in 2004, my elmer gave me an old, beat up MFJ 949 Versa Tuner.  I used it for years and made thousands of contacts.   Since I was mostly using multi-band doublets, I decided to splurge on a big, expensive Palstar AT2K tuner.  Lately the variable capacitor on the output didn’t seem to be working, so today I cracked the case.  Turns out the couplers from the dials to the variable capacitors and the inductor are all cracked and damaged, the output has broken failed completely.  They appear to be made of PVC.

So the moral of the story is that I am back to using my supposedly cheap, poorly-made, used MFJ 929 that has never failed in 16+ years .

Go figure.  Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS



--
Mike - W0TMW #2207


radio@hollywoodtitle.com <radio@...>
 

Mike;

My experience with my 259B antenna analyzer has likewise been excellent.  It has been a workhorse for me.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS


On Apr 12, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Mike - W0TMW #2207 <mikew@...> wrote:

I've had a number of MFJ products over the years, mostly tuners, I'll admit, and have had zero problems. My 1990's era antenna analyzer still works, too---better than some of the new other brands when compared in the field.

Mike - W0TMW #2207



radio@hollywoodtitle.com <radio@...>
 

…and perhaps a fool and his money are easily parted ;-)

On Apr 12, 2020, at 12:00 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Sometimes bigger isn't better.

Jerry


Chuck M
 

Had purchased a MFJ-259B analyzer from SK estate sale several years ago.  Has firmware V2.21, shows year of 1998.  Worked well for first couple of years I had it, then started acting up.  Wouldn't do some of the advanced features.  

Checked with MFJ support, ordered a new chip, didn't fix problem.  So contacted MFJ again about issues.  Ended up sending it and chip in for service.  Got credit for chip I didn't need and they got it running very well.  Not perfect, but it all works with some playing around.

MFJ service guy, Jimmy Allen, knows his way around the analyzers.  Met him at the 2019 Hamvention in Xenia.

Also own several other MFJ products.  Generally have worked well for me.

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB


On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 03:24:25 PM EDT, radio@... <radio@...> wrote:


Mike;

My experience with my 259B antenna analyzer has likewise been excellent.  It has been a workhorse for me.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS


On Apr 12, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Mike - W0TMW #2207 <mikew@...> wrote:

I've had a number of MFJ products over the years, mostly tuners, I'll admit, and have had zero problems. My 1990's era antenna analyzer still works, too---better than some of the new other brands when compared in the field.

Mike - W0TMW #2207



Jerry N9AVY
 

Same here. Have had 2 - Vectronics HFT-1500, MFJ 259, Ameritron ALS-600, Ameriton outdoor coax switch, Voice keyer which worked great until I stopped doing phone contests and an old MFJ-257 analyzer.
All worked well. Probably had some others, but that's all that I can remember.

Jerry N9AVY

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 02:12:52 PM CDT, Mike - W0TMW #2207 <mikew@...> wrote:


I've had a number of MFJ products over the years, mostly tuners, I'll admit, and have had zero problems. My 1990's era antenna analyzer still works, too---better than some of the new other brands when compared in the field.

Mike - W0TMW #2207

--"Lose not thy airspeed, lest the ground rises up and smites thee."  -- William Kershnerhttps://m-watson.com (Mike Watson - Writer Website)http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 4/12/20 1:57 PM, radio@... wrote:
Hello Group,I know MFJ gets a bad rap sometimes for their quality and quality control, so here is a funny little anecdote. When I first got my general ticket in 2004, my elmer gave me an old, beat up MFJ 949 Versa Tuner.  I used it for years and made thousands of contacts.   Since I was mostly using multi-band doublets, I decided to splurge on a big, expensive Palstar AT2K tuner.  Lately the variable capacitor on the output didn’t seem to be working, so today I cracked the case.  Turns out the couplers from the dials to the variable capacitors and the inductor are all cracked and damaged, the output has broken failed completely.  They appear to be made of PVC.So the moral of the story is that I am back to using my supposedly cheap, poorly-made, used MFJ 929 that has never failed in 16+ years .Go figure.  Another country heard from,73 de Eric, KG6MZS

--
Mike - W0TMW #2207