Grids

Jerry N9AVY

Dick, KC3EF, asked me what grids I needed out West for his trip in a few months because his faithful Navigator is doing trip planning through grids when possible.

This got me to wondering how many states are close to be finished off on grids. So, I checked the list and saw that 6 state only need 1 (one) more grid for completion and there are 3 states which only need 2 grids to complete. As luck would have it, I've heard stations in some of those grids , but calls failed to bring results :-( ....

With the bands being crummy in Midwest, am not expecting to work any soon, but can always dream. Kind of works the same way as getting new 070 numbers, when hear one and make a call after he signs off, he gone ! Just like fishing ... when boats all around are hauling in big fish, you can't even get a nibble, hi !

Jerry n9avy

Rick - N7WE

We're in pretty similar circumstances Jerry.  I have 4 states where I only need one grid and 2 states that I need 2.  For me the frustration of seeing a call from the grid you need and not being able to work them, is right up there with repeatedly working stations that are only one square off that elusive one you need.  Like K8TOM - Tom, or W7PFB - Paul, both from CN97 when I'm dying for CN98.  I'm almost ready to offer bribes for them to go portable to CN98 - hi hi!

Then there is Team KC3EF/M - Dick and his pilot Kathy - who make /M trips and give us stay-at-home guys needed grids.  Maybe I can bribe Kathy into trying that 2-track "primitive" Talley Road into DL88 in TX.  No - don't have enough money.  Wonder if I could convince her that they are now paving it?  Probably not, and anyway they'd quickly figure out I'd lied when they got to River Road - which isn't paved either - but is an 'improved' road that leads to the turnoff to Talley Road!  DL88 may go down in history as the one 070 Grid that was never worked!

But chasing LONPs and Grids is a wonderful way to fill up these 'Stay Home' hours.  What would we do without Ham Radio?  And as W9SMR - Stan always says:  "Who has more fun than a HAM?"

Keep hunting and keep posting when you log a new one!

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

How many 070 folks are hankering for a PSK31 qso from CN98?  We are locked down tighter than a… well, locked down tight.  So I can’t do it right now but I can *plan* to go.

What the heck.  Give me a list of needed grids in WA state and let me think on this.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Apr 7, 2020, at 3:40 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick:

Agree with you on working a station that’s in the grid next to the one I really need. Have learned a lot of new words that way, hi !

As for CN98, someone needs to go there soon !    Think there are a couple of non-PSK ops there who probably are on FT-8 – grrrrr !

Would never try to set someone’s schedule/route just to get a new grid.   Had someone do that to me when I was mobile in Wisconsin so they could get a couple new counties.   I got lost are she offered to open her road Atlas and get me to where I needed to be – almost.

Between grids & LONPs I have enough to keep me busy.

73,  Jerry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Rick, N7WE, and I (N9AVY) both need CN98 and am sure many others need it as well.

Jerry   n9avy

[...]

That is a hard question to answer, but what I did (to hopefully get a good guess) was take the list of 23 people who have 300 or more grids on the Awards Progress Checker and check them for completing CN98.  I think those 23 have, or at least at one time had, and interest in grids.  Interestingly, 18 of the 23 do not have CN98 and great many of those only need CN98 to complete Washington.  Here's the list:

K9DEB, KC3FL, KD8JSP, KE4JB, KF2GQ, N5SLY, N8MNI, NO8R, NU4C, W3WMU, W5FER, W7PAQ, W9SMR, WB4MNK, VA7GEM, W3HF. N9AVY, and N7WE.

From that, with a little pre-trip publicity (I'm sure Stan - W9SMR would be happy to help), I think you would have a pileup!  I for one would definitely be in the hunt.  Thanks for considering it, and if we can get beyond this virus thingy, you might be in line to have some real fun!

Stephen Melachrinos

I'm also in a similar situation--a few states with only a small number of grids. To wit:

WA: the infamous CN98
ME: FN56, FN65
MN: EN28, EN38
NE: DN82, DN92
OK: DM86, DM96

Then three each in UT, WY, ID and CO; four each in CA and OR; five in AZ; and more than five in MT, NV, TX, NM, and SD.

Unfortunately I missed a bunch of the N7WE/m and KC3EF/m grids out west because I was at work during those daytime mobile operations.

[...]

Steve:

Some of us were working to keep food on table or had other commitments  which ham rado takes a back seat to.

Patience will eventually pay off.

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Richard Rohrer

Hi Rick,

I showed Kathy your post about DL88 and she said her concern would be that there would be poor propagation and I would not be able to work anyone, hi hi.  Looks like I activated CN97 and CN97, but not CN98.  It does not look like a West Coast trip this year, maybe next year.  We will be doing Southwest again in October if we can travel.  Will try to activate EL59 again on our way home.  Hopefully propagation with be a little better then.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

Propagation was poor when I tuned on radio this morning. Usually se Europe blasting thru, but not today.   A couple very faint traces.   Don’t see propagation improving much this summer either. We need more sunspots.

No worries on grids out West.  My 350 grids didn’t happen overnight; so, I can be patient, hi !

Thanks.

73,    Jerry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I showed Kathy your post about DL88 and she said her concern would be that there would be poor propagation and I would not be able to work anyone, hi hi.  Looks like I activated CN97 and CN97, but not CN98.  It does not look like a West Coast trip this year, maybe next year.  We will be doing Southwest again in October if we can travel.  Will try to activate EL59 again on our way home.  Hopefully propagation with be a little better then.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

Roger all Dick.  I'll standby for EL 59 when you finally can head out.  I'm sure this stay at home is severly twisting the two of you..given how you go!  Once again, Kathy is probably right.  You'd get there just about the time there was an X-class solar flare that wipes out HF comms.  In the meantime, here is a picture to entice her.  This is the "improved" River Road which leads to the turn off onto the "primative" Talley Road.

stan W9SMR

OMG!!

You people are Crazy and we Love You for it!!

73,
Stan
W9SMR

Roger all Dick.  I'll standby for EL 59 when you finally can head out.  I'm sure this stay at home is severly twisting the two of you..given how you go!  Once again, Kathy is probably right.  You'd get there just about the time there was an X-class solar flare that wipes out HF comms.  In the meantime, here is a picture to entice her.  This is the "improved" River Road which leads to the turn off onto the "primative" Talley Road.
[cid:attach_0_1603E0B3CE89BDFD_18689@groups.io]

Looks like a good road  … if you drive an M1A1  tank !!    Hi Hi !!

Jerry   n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Roger all Dick.  I'll standby for EL 59 when you finally can head out.  I'm sure this stay at home is severly twisting the two of you..given how you go!  Once again, Kathy is probably right.  You'd get there just about the time there was an X-class solar flare that wipes out HF comms.  In the meantime, here is a picture to entice her.  This is the "improved" River Road which leads to the turn off onto the "primative" Talley Road.

All Hams are crazy to one degree or another !

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 02:05 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Dick, KC3EF, asked me what grids I needed out West for his trip in a few months because his faithful Navigator is doing trip planning through grids when possible.

This got me to wondering how many states are close to be finished off on grids. So, I checked the list and saw that 6 state only need 1 (one) more grid for completion and there are 3 states which only need 2 grids to complete. As luck would have it, I've heard stations in some of those grids , but calls failed to bring results :-( ....

With the bands being crummy in Midwest, am not expecting to work any soon, but can always dream. Kind of works the same way as getting new 070 numbers, when hear one and make a call after he signs off, he gone ! Just like fishing ... when boats all around are hauling in big fish, you can't even get a nibble, hi !

Jerry n9avy
Jerry
Positive side is no smelly hands cleaning those big ones.
Barry

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Paul
Need CN96, CN98
Tnx
Barry
va7gem

Richard Rohrer

Hi Rick,

Have you been to Chacio Canyon in NM?  I thought that was the worst 17 mi of road we had ever driven on.  Your picture looks like it has that road beat.  Kathy's comment, "That is the improved road!!!!".  Jerry's suggestion of a tank sounds good, all though the gas mileage is probably very poor and we probably would have to get a tractor trailer to haul it down there, since I think most areas frown on driving things like that on the road, hi hi.  All thought the crazy Du Pont in DE use to drive his around the area.  I think is was an armored personnel carrier, not a tank.

This thread has brought some humor in this dark time.

73
Dick - KC3EF