Query from Club Member

KB1NAL

Hello ALL,

  At  19:20 UTC on 17m  (  18.100 MHz USB ),  there were numerous digital stations operating on 3/17 (Tues.).

Can someone please determine what exact digital mode, these 20 stations are operating.

I tried to decode them without any success.  Please get back to me direct or on the reflector.

Have not operated digital in over a few years now..

Thanks !

73,

Lee / KB1NAL

070 # 1044

John Fickler

At 1935Z I'm seeing some FT8 stations on 18.100 Mhz.

John
W8VYM

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 3:30 PM KB1NAL via Groups.Io <kb1nal=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello ALL,

  At  19:20 UTC on 17m  (  18.100 MHz USB ),  there were numerous digital stations operating on 3/17 (Tues.).

Can someone please determine what exact digital mode, these 20 stations are operating.

I tried to decode them without any success.  Please get back to me direct or on the reflector.

Have not operated digital in over a few years now..

Thanks !

73,

Lee / KB1NAL

070 # 1044

Jerry N9AVY

18.100 has been infested by FT8 stations for about the past 2 years, driving off PSK31 stations .

Jerry n9avy

On Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 02:30:20 PM CDT, KB1NAL via Groups.Io <kb1nal@...> wrote:

Hello ALL,

  At  19:20 UTC on 17m  (  18.100 MHz USB ),  there were numerous digital stations operating on 3/17 (Tues.).

Can someone please determine what exact digital mode, these 20 stations are operating.

I tried to decode them without any success.  Please get back to me direct or on the reflector.

Have not operated digital in over a few years now..

Thanks !

73,

Lee / KB1NAL

070 # 1044

Rick - N7WE

John-
Looking at 18.100 at 19:43 UTC I'm seeing several FT8 traces.  While 18.100 used to be a PSK frequency, it was taken over when FT8 was introduced.  I also see some wider signals that are in the 15 second T/R cycle, and while I'm not sure what they are, they could be some variant of the WSJT-x modes.

If you are looking for PSK, some are now using 18.097.  But mostly, PSKers have just been chased off 17m.

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

And speaking of 17m... I am calling CQ on 18.097+1000
Anybody out there?

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Brian (N2MLP)

See no one in FN21

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

And speaking of 17m... I am calling CQ on 18.097+1000
Anybody out there?

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

Phone rang, so I  had to take a break. Calling again.

Karl Heinz Kremer
PDF Acrobatics Without a Net
PDF Software Development, Training and More...

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 4:03 PM Brian (N2MLP) <n2mlp@...> wrote:

See no one in FN21

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

And speaking of 17m... I am calling CQ on 18.097+1000
Anybody out there?

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

Almost undoubtedly FT8.

Mike
WM4B

On Mar 17, 2020 3:30 PM, "KB1NAL via Groups.Io" <kb1nal@...> wrote:
Hello ALL,

At 19:20 UTC on 17m ( 18.100 MHz USB ), there were numerous digital stations operating on 3/17 (Tues.).

Can someone please determine what exact digital mode, these 20 stations are operating.

I tried to decode them without any success. Please get back to me direct or on the reflector.

Have not operated digital in over a few years now..

Thanks !

73,

Lee / KB1NAL

070 # 1044

K7DWI Art

The wider, 15 second signal you are observing is FT4.
It was meant to be a contesting version of FT8.
It is a faster exchange, wider and efficient, but IMHO totally useless for contesting. Not good in a crowded band...... just like FT8.
Nice mode when too many are on FT8 and I want easy pickings.
They are suppose to operate on 18.104 (FT4).
As of this minute (02:40 UTC) on 20 Meters, each 30 second scroll produces about 5 Chinese, 4 JA's, a couple of Asiatic Russians, a KH6 and a ZL or VK.
Depressing. So goes life.
73 Art K7DWI #2518