WX info with a button for PSK

K8TOM

Rick,

I also use HRD and have used Ed, W4ELP's program for inserting the wx info into a QSO with the push of a button (or via macro).

It's described by Scott N3FJP here http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html.

The "bridge" program has quite a lot of additional function, to say the least, and Ed maintains it well.

Tom
K8TOM

Rick - N7WE

Thanks Tom - I'll check it out.

Rick - N7WE

On 3/3/2020 19:31, K8TOM wrote:
Rick,

I also use HRD and have used Ed, W4ELP's program for inserting the wx info into a QSO with the push of a button (or via macro).

It's described by Scott N3FJP here http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html.

The "bridge" program has quite a lot of additional function, to say the least, and Ed maintains it well.

Tom
K8TOM

Scotty W7PSK

I seem to remember one of the PSK programs (whether MIXW or FL-DIGI) would transmit a weather.txt file.  There was a way to download

weather information into this txt file.   However, FL-DIGI now does WX:XXXX, and in the place of the 4 Xs you put the metar weather

station you want to send data from.   Id rather download my weather station data to a text file and then send that.  And I remember

years ago we added a program that would do that.   But its too long.

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington

Kevin Lyons, K1KL

Hi Scotty et. al. RE: Automating WX,
I use HRD/DM and I cut and paste into a macro from the NWS text forecast. Takes me 3 seconds, but I have forgotten to update and transmitted weeks' old WX! That's the problem.
I will be purchasing a home WX station and looking for a solution, so this discussion is helpful.

Kevin, K1KL
Hampton, NH
070, #2716

On 3/3/2020 16:31, K8TOM wrote:
Rick,

I also use HRD and have used Ed, W4ELP's program for inserting the wx info into a QSO with the push of a button (or via macro).

It's described by Scott N3FJP here http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html.

The "bridge" program has quite a lot of additional function, to say the least, and Ed maintains it well.

Tom
K8TOM

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

Rick - N7WE

Good Morning Kevin-

I had wanted a personal WX station for a number of years, but never made the leap.  This past Christmas my darling wife said:  "Pick one!"  That started the search and there are tons of options.  I did find this website to be very helpful in making a decision. https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=62086700f593517c4018ea6e8d9b43d6&   Good luck and let us know what you decide on.  And if you figure out how to get your new wx station to embed data in a DM macro, please, please, please post that here!

Ray Clements

Personally, I find station macros and weather macros to be a complete waste of time and bandwidth. Band opening tend to be sporadic these days, so do not waste the opportunities you have.

I could care less which computer, operating system,  or software you are using. If it is 20 degrees F here in Northern Illinois, I do not really want to hear that it is 75 degrees in South Florida, or wherever you might live.

If I am in the middle of a QSO and I start to receive stuff like that, I am likely to drop off the call without ever logging the contact.
If you want to chat, however, I will gladly join in.

Ran N9RWC

On 3/3/2020 16:31, K8TOM wrote:
Rick,

I also use HRD and have used Ed, W4ELP's program for inserting the wx info into a QSO with the push of a button (or via macro).

It's described by Scott N3FJP here http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html.

The "bridge" program has quite a lot of additional function, to say the least, and Ed maintains it well.

Tom
K8TOM

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

i have a very sophisticated neural network arrangement to insert current weather data into my psk QSOs when I feel it is appropriate, which is generally when the conversation turns to the weather.

I look out the window from my operating position, and observe what it’s like outside.  Then I type what I see into the text window.  Temperatures are generally accurate to within 5 or 10 degrees F.  Snow depths are judged by looking out the other window into the courtyard, where the snow settles evenly. Wind speed is estimated by watching the tree tops and listening. Intensity of current rainfall is judged by listening to the sound of the rain falling on the standing seam metal roof.

The same neural network also provides reports on: whether my dogs want to go for a walk, what chores I’m neglecting in favor of playing radio, and so on.

The best part is that this neural network system interfaces easily not only with fldigi but also the Kent single paddle keyer, the SSB HF rig, Winlink, and the FM VHF/UHF rigs.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On 3/3/2020 16:31, K8TOM wrote:
Rick,

I also use HRD and have used Ed, W4ELP's program for inserting the wx info into a QSO with the push of a button (or via macro).

It's described by Scott N3FJP here http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html.

The "bridge" program has quite a lot of additional function, to say the least, and Ed maintains it well.

Tom
K8TOM

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

Jerry N9AVY

This is one of those things Ray & I agree on. A lot of information is just "busy work" and doesn't really belong in an actual QSO. We should be talking about our interests/hobbies and trying to find common ground. Of course, taboo subjects should still be sex, religion & politics as has always been.

For me, useless information includes IMD, S/N ratio, a brag list of every darn piece of equipment you own, people who give out Club numbers which are specific to a certain band (10-10 numbers, 30DMG, etc.) , detailed WX reports , and so on. When I operated W1AW/9 a few years back on PSK31, I got scads of useless information which only served to lessen the 700+ contacts I made because many operators got bored with exchanges filled with 10 minutes of useless TMI. Be considerate of other operators !

Guess I' another Old Curmudgeon ...

Jerry n9avy

On 3/3/2020 16:31, K8TOM wrote:
Rick,

I also use HRD and have used Ed, W4ELP's program for inserting the wx info into a QSO with the push of a button (or via macro).

It's described by Scott N3FJP here http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html.

The "bridge" program has quite a lot of additional function, to say the least, and Ed maintains it well.

Tom
K8TOM

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

Ray Clements

If you are having a legitimate conversation with someone and they ask about the weather or your station, then by all means provide that information. My gripe is about those who send that information with every contact they make. If I have already seen your station information when you worked a previous contact, I would prefer not to see it again.

Ray N9RWC

On 3/3/2020 16:31, K8TOM wrote:
Rick,

I also use HRD and have used Ed, W4ELP's program for inserting the wx info into a QSO with the push of a button (or via macro).

It's described by Scott N3FJP here http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html.

The "bridge" program has quite a lot of additional function, to say the least, and Ed maintains it well.

Tom
K8TOM

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

Kevin Lyons, K1KL

Ray and Jerry,
You guys are really enlightened. Glad to have you in the hobby.

Kevin, K1KL

On 3/3/2020 16:31, K8TOM wrote:
Rick,

I also use HRD and have used Ed, W4ELP's program for inserting the wx info into a QSO with the push of a button (or via macro).

It's described by Scott N3FJP here http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html.

The "bridge" program has quite a lot of additional function, to say the least, and Ed maintains it well.

Tom
K8TOM

--
Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington
070 #138

--
Kevin

Scotty W7PSK

I will be purchasing a home WX station and looking for a solution, so this discussion is helpful.

I have the Ambient WX 2902A.  It has the features I wanted without the Massive prices.  I highly recommend it if you want to get into it without a lot of bucks.

For the rest, I rarely send the WX unless asked.  Also if I see we have worked I dont send the Brag either.  But it would have been nice to automate it, because I love to play with gadgets :).   I guess, since I use FL-Digi Ill just use what I have.  Its too bad MIXW died out, I really loved that program.

--

Scotty W7PSK
Everett, Washington

Kevin Lyons, K1KL

Thanks Scotty. That’s helpful. I also saw the Acura right Wi-Fi version which is less than $70 so I’ll compare that perhaps to the ambient.

Similarly, I’ll choose content that I send on PSK based on the QSO and to some extent, greater extent I hope, the interests of the other operator. I’ve seen notable differences in terms of peoples interest in WX by country. It may be a broad brush, but Germans always seem to make a WX inquiry or send WX. I often enjoy a weather report, particularly when followed by personal experience with that weather. I could, of course, look up the QTH on weather.com. Sometimes, it’s just a nice part of a QSO.
Thanks for the recommendation, Scotty, I’ll keep you posted.
Kevin, K1KL