From: Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2019 5:25 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Membership Requirements

I’m interested in boosting PSK activity overall, for the selfish and simple reason that if there are more people active on PSK31, then there are more people for me to *talk to* on psk31.

If someone can convince me that making people get 50 psk contacts before they can be a member will boost PSK31 activity more than, say, asking people to have at least 1 psk31 contact in their log, then I would favor the 50 contact threshold.

But I suspect we would be more successful boosting activity with a threshold of 10, or even 1, than we currently are with 50.

-p W7PFB

73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

> On Dec 29, 2019, at 2:41 PM, Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

> I think the 50 contact requirement should remain.  Easy enough to get,

> especially during a club event. I was able to very *VERY* casually work 5

> stations I'd never worked before last night between 8 and 10 pm local on 40

> and 80 meters.  Personally, I'm a lot more interested in quality members

> than the quantity of them.

> Mike

> WM4B

Jerry N9AVY

10-10 Net Int’l  requires a minimum of 10 contacts for membership.  But that is in line with 10-10 and the number “10”.

PODXS could maybe require 70 contacts ???   😊  😊  😊

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

#1604 LONP #255

david@...

Randy True

I joined about 6 months before the FT8 craze and had my membership in about a month.
Chock having to wait a while to get your requirement up to bad timing, LOL

Randy W4RTT

David, K9DWR

* Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@butzi.net> [2020-01-01 06:55]:

I would favor, though, putting text on the website at some point suggesting
that if someone wants to join, they reach out and contact a ham who is a
member, who can make a post saying that the aspiring applicant is looking to
make their 50, so be on the lookout for them and help them out. In the past
when that’s been done, they make their 50 in short order!
Priming the pump is a good idea, but I'll suggest something a bit
better. Instead of contacting "some member" to post on the reflector,
maybe we can put that as a specific email that's fielded by the
leadership so we know people are aware. That way, we aren't putting
them in a position where they have to guess what member to ask to post
for them.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Ken N6PCD

Jim,

I am in complete agreement with you! There needs to be some form of “threshold” as a requirement for membership. IMHO that is one of the things that make this organization great.

When I joined, with much encouragement from my dear friend Milt N6MG (then W6QE) I felt a real sense of accomplishment to have met the requirements. It MEANT something.

Having said all that, I believe the management needs to revisit the QSO requirement. I can get OTA here in SoCal and send CQ over time on the calling frequencies at different times of the day and get nary a reply. Not even see other traces. Some of this is admittedly due to my CC&R restricted antenna, FT modes siphoning away interest from PSK, and awful propagation, but I’m essentially using the same type of setup I used when I made my bones back in the day.

Blowing he foam off, I believe the QSO requirement should remain, but consider lowering the amount required.

VY 73 and Happy New Year to all y’all!

Ken N6PCD
070 #801
LONP #187

Stephen Melachrinos

Paul -

I think your suggestion (to contact a member via email) is great. I also think we could suggest working an 070 contest.

Given the poor propagation we have now, and the fact that there are fewer PSK stations on the air, we should be encouraging prospective members. Typically that happens when someone makes a QSO on the air, but we should use other resources we have, including the web site.