Membership Requirements

David, K9DWR

* Don_KB9UMT via Groups.Io <dhobson123=aol.com@groups.io> [2019-12-29 10:00]:

- Why is there requirements that a to become a 070 member you have to have 50
PSK contacts and 1 confirmed?

- Out of all the other digital mode clubs like EPC, DMC, 30MDG, FH, etc. only
070 requires QSOs prior to becoming a member to become an active 070
member...wouldn't it be better to just let anyone join then get more active
with 070 and PSK?

-  Noticed that ALL 070 Contests are open to anyone now....so why not open
070 membership to anyone that just wants to join without having 50 PSK
contacts and 1 confirmed?

-  Keep in mind that 50 PSK contacts years ago could be completed in a day or
even a few hours but with FT8 taking the front seat for most used digital
mode why would you want to limit members that just want to join and now that
contests are open to anyone wouldn't that make more sense?

-  I have also noticed that most times I am on the 070 Website that over on
the right side of the Home Page "Who's Online" most times there is between
over 100 to over 200 guests online looking at 070 so why not open it up for
membership to anyone with no hoops to jump....just request membership then
hope for more members to increase 070 and PSK activity..?

Again just wondering and it would be nice to see 070 membership numbers and
PSK activity on the bands increase so I'm all for 070/PSK.

Don,

These are some great questions. I would assume the requirement for
coming in with contacts was originally put in place to show a level of
commitment to PSK (probably to weed out "paper chasers" not interested
helping the club as a whole). That's just a guess on my part, but it's
worth reviewing. If there isn't a solid reason for it, it might be time
to change it.

The impetus behind opening the contests to everyone was for similar
reasons, so it's a reasonable thing to consider. Maybe a
modification/combination of both would work instead? For example,
instead of 50 + a confirmed QSO, maybe just the confirmed QSO. I don't
think it would be unreasonable to show at least some minimal proof of an
interest in PSK31. The single QSO would be enough to meet that with a
minimum of effort.

I'd be interested in hearing what more people think about this.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Brian (N2MLP)

I think if you want to be a member just work a contest week and you will have a easy 50 contact

========================
         de N2MLP Brian
       Monroe County PA

========================

#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

I think the 50 contact requirement should remain. Easy enough to get,
especially during a club event. I was able to very *VERY* casually work 5
stations I'd never worked before last night between 8 and 10 pm local on 40
and 80 meters. Personally, I'm a lot more interested in quality members
than the quantity of them.

Mike
WM4B

#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I’m interested in boosting PSK activity overall, for the selfish and simple reason that if there are more people active on PSK31, then there are more people for me to *talk to* on psk31.

If someone can convince me that making people get 50 psk contacts before they can be a member will boost PSK31 activity more than, say, asking people to have at least 1 psk31 contact in their log, then I would favor the 50 contact threshold.

But I suspect we would be more successful boosting activity with a threshold of 10, or even 1, than we currently are with 50.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Rick - N7WE

Well, I'm going to come down on the side of "there should be an admission requirement."  070 Club has always been a "no fee" membership organization.  Everything is supported by voluntary donations.  The only exception to this is that International Members are requested to submit a one-time $5.00 PayPal donation to cover the cost of printing and mailing their membership packet.  If at all possible, I would like to see the Club remain this way.

Every new member packet (Domestic and International) contains a Membership Certificate, a Sticker Certificate, and a LONP Sticker Certificate.  Certificates are printed on high quality heavy paper.  They must be mailed in 9x12 envelopes.  The costs associated with a new member mailing, even within the USA, are not insignificant.  In addition, each new membership requires substantial time from our volunteers to prepare and mail the package.

"Sign-up Joiners" are a real fact of life in hobby clubs.  Without some sort of admission hurdle, they come out of the woodwork.  Lots of clubs use annual dues to fund the club and cull the joiners.  In our case, I don't believe it is fair to ask our existing members (and not all members donate!) to bear the additional costs for people who join and may never be heard from again. Nor is it fair to ask the volunteers to investing their time to service "once and never heard from agains."  50 PSK Q's isn't a lot, even with poor prop.  And it does indicate a certain level of interest and commitment to PSK.

I'm OK with changing the admission hurdle.  Maybe have to participate in at least 3 contests?  How about just lowering the required Qs to 25?  Or maybe have to log 10 existing members?  I seem to recall 10-10 did that.  But, I think we should require some investment and commitment on the part of prospective members beyond "I want."  I don't believe club membership, in and of itself, will increase on air PSK activity.  Our contests are now open to all, member or not, and I believe that will and has done more to promote on air activity than dropping a membership hurdle.

Just my opinion.  Yours may vary, and that's OK.

Rick Sterling <KI7OIY@...>

Speaking for myself I have never received a membership packet.

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 3:54 PM Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
[...]

Clearly a screw up somewhere along the line.  You joined back in December of 2018, and while it is no excuse, things - including mailings - have been "disjointed?" within the club this past year.  These things are being worked on.  In the meantime, Jim K5SP our membership chairman closely monitors this group and I'm sure he will look into it.

David, K9DWR

* Rick Sterling <KI7OIY@gmail.com> [2019-12-29 15:56]:
Speaking for myself I have never received a membership packet.
That's a whole different issue (and probably representative of the load
on the volunteers that Rick is talking about). Please send an email to
membership@podxs070.com for a followup for missing packets.

I do agree with Rick that some amount of "good faith" effort isn't a bad
thing. It's not like the current requirements have stopped a steady
growth of the club over the last few years.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

K7DWI Art

It is painfully quiet out here on the West Coast.
I think Don has a point. Be exclusive instead of inclusive, you aren't going to be relevant much longer in this FT8 crazed Ham world.
FT8 pretty much lead the PropNet group to its demise and it is doing other groups in limbo as well (the one I have served for is, SWOT).
I really appreciate what you guys have done ( despite ending the June VHF event).
I hope you can come to an agreement on this. I don't like FT8, (love CW) but will do it to satisfy my DX itch when it is all quiet on the other modes.
73 Art K7DWI CN82 #2518

Stephen Melachrinos

David (and others) -

You are exactly correct. The requirement was to ensure that the prospective member was already a PSK operator with enough of a commitment to make the 50 QSOs. And remember that the 50 QSO requirement was established in 2000, not long after PSK31 was developed, and long before it became (for a while) the most popular digital mode.

I just looked at my log, and it took me 18 days back in November/December of 2000 to make my 50 QSOs and become 070 member #25.

Yes, some other clubs don't require any "proof" of activity to join--EPC is a prime example. But as Rick pointed out, the philosophy of the 070 club has always included mailing membership certificates and endorsements, and that cost is signficant. AFAIK, EPC doesn't have to mail anything--their awards are auto-generated for download (and printing if you want) by the applicant.

(Full disclosure note: I have to confess that although I never signed up for EPC, I did join the Flying Pigs QRP Sociey, another one of the "just apply online for a member number" clubs. But in my defense, it was because another 070 club member wanted to get FP credit for the sked I wanted for LONP credit. That was the only QSO in which I shared my FPQRP number.)

My personal opinion is that there still should be an operating requirement for membership, but maybe it doesn't need to be 50 QSOs now. I think some of Rick's suggestions have merit and could/should be discussed.

070 #25
(and who just celebrated the 19th anniversary of my first PSK31 QSO)

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Rick - N7WE

Steve-
Congratulations! for 19 years on PSK31!  That certainly makes you one of the pioneers of PSK31 and of course, a Senior Stateman of the 070 Club!  December 26th was my 13th anniversary of my first PSK31.  But I didn't discover 070 Club until December 2012.

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Interesting comment about the EPC club. I also joined them but it wasn’t long before I just stopped even giving out my number.  This is interesting in how they do their numbers. Not sure how many people realize this and one so an see that their numbers are way up there but those member numbers are very deceiving.  EveryOne know how hams change their call signs on a whim.  Well, if you have an EPC number and you change your call sign, then you have to or are supposed to get a NEW NUMBER! That really is absurd. . . So the number follows the call and if the call goes away, so does the number.

Dan Morris KZ3T #070 1965
dbmorris315@...

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Stephen Melachrinos

Dan -

Yes, that's the way they deal with callsign "management." I suspect it's an artifact of their fully-automated system--they may not have the code written to implement and validate callsign changes, or the ability to process log files created under different callsigns during distinct callsign effectivity periods.

I don't know what happens if someone then is assigned a call that was previously registered (by the former holder) as an EPC member. Does the system recognize that someone new has the call? Or does the new holder "inherit" the QSOs of the first holder.

We're getting off-topic now, and should probably drop this discussion of EPC as irrelevant to the 070 club. I think the point has been made that EPC and 070 have different membership models, both driven by and driving their respective club implementations.

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Jim K5SP

Jordi, currently the endorsement checker is being worked on.  When it is fixed/new software in place, you can resubmit your log for credit.

Membership Director

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Jim K5SP

Steve, one of the membership requirements that I have always wondered about is the need to either match a qso in the log submitted, or, submit a qsl card as proof.

Everything else in 070 is based up honesty and integrity of the members, in contests and for endorsements, there is no validation of the contacts.  So why was the proof required for membership when the organization founded?

Should we consider dropping the contact confirmation, and just accept a log showing they have whatever number of unique PSK-31 contacts we require?

Jim K5SP