365 Help

Eric Dallmann

I'm currently in Oak Ridge, TN, for Business.  I'll be here thorough Friday, and unfortunately need every day for 365.  I got the worst room for antennas.  The window opens enough to get a wire out, but it's right over the front entrance so anything I put out there will be quickly notices (I'm only on the second floor).  I have my POTA set-up (I drove so I wouldn't have to hassle getting all that through the airport), and will be setting up by a picnic bench on the side of the hotel.  I don't think I can set up the random wire due to space, but I do have hamsticks for several bands.  When I finish dinner in a few minutes I'll be on 40- and 20-meters.  If you see a fairly light trace, don't be afraid to give me a shout.  It's 5 Watts and a hamsttick.  It works, but certainly not ideal.

I'll probably go looking for a better spot to operate, but given the time considerations, I don't want to be doing that right now.

Hopefully I'll see some of you on the waterfall.

Eric/K9VIC

Steve W3HF

I just saw this email. Has anyone seen Eric yet? 

Eric: Have you made a contact yet? 

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070club.groups.io <main@070club.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jun 7, 2022 10:13 pm
Subject: [070Club] 365 Help

I'm currently in Oak Ridge, TN, for Business.  I'll be here thorough Friday, and unfortunately need every day for 365.  I got the worst room for antennas.  The window opens enough to get a wire out, but it's right over the front entrance so anything I put out there will be quickly notices (I'm only on the second floor).  I have my POTA set-up (I drove so I wouldn't have to hassle getting all that through the airport), and will be setting up by a picnic bench on the side of the hotel.  I don't think I can set up the random wire due to space, but I do have hamsticks for several bands.  When I finish dinner in a few minutes I'll be on 40- and 20-meters.  If you see a fairly light trace, don't be afraid to give me a shout.  It's 5 Watts and a hamsttick.  It works, but certainly not ideal.

I'll probably go looking for a better spot to operate, but given the time considerations, I don't want to be doing that right now.

Eric/K9VIC

Buz Johnson

I'm on 40m and don't see him, 

Buz, WA5AMM
"May the best you've ever been, be the worst you'll ever see"

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 7:41 PM Steve W3HF <w3hf@...> wrote:

Steve
W3HF

Eric/K9VIC

--
de, WA5AMM, Buz

Eric Dallmann

Sorry, I didn't have my computer with me (using the QRPWerks SideKar).  Yes, tnx to AE1P I have a contact for today.  Had to quit and try to fix a macro issue (still not corrected) and look for the bug spray (which apparently I forgot0.  Going back out and will  be on 40-meters in about 10 minutes or so.

Eric/K9VIC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 06:47:04 PM CDT, Buz Johnson <wa5amm.sc.usa@...> wrote:

Buz, WA5AMM

Steve
W3HF

Eric/K9VIC

--
de, WA5AMM, Buz

Steve W3HF

got it. I'll be there.

Steve

To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jun 7, 2022 7:54 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] 365 Help

Sorry, I didn't have my computer with me (using the QRPWerks SideKar).  Yes, tnx to AE1P I have a contact for today.  Had to quit and try to fix a macro issue (still not corrected) and look for the bug spray (which apparently I forgot0.  Going back out and will  be on 40-meters in about 10 minutes or so.

Eric/K9VIC
On Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 06:47:04 PM CDT, Buz Johnson <wa5amm.sc.usa@...> wrote:

Buz, WA5AMM

Steve
W3HF

Eric/K9VIC

--
de, WA5AMM, Buz

Eric Dallmann

A very BIG THANKS to everyone who took time tonight to look for me.  It's very much appreciated.  Steve (W3HF) and I were able to connect on 49-meters before the bug situation drove me back inside.  I'll get my macros fixed and some bug spray before my next try, and hopefully find a better spot to operate.

Eric, K9VIC/4

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 06:56:35 PM CDT, Steve W3HF <w3hf@...> wrote:

got it. I'll be there.

Steve

Eric/K9VIC

Buz, WA5AMM

Steve
W3HF

Eric/K9VIC

--
de, WA5AMM, Buz

Eric Dallmann

If anyone's interested in my portable set-up from this evening (or I guess even if you're not), here's the set-up I used tonight and one of the configurations I use for POTA,.  Antenna-wise, It's probably close to the poorest configuration imaginable, especially on the lower bands.  It's an Elecraft KX2 with a QRPWorks SideKar Extreme.  The micro keyboard is great in its size, but that's also its biggest operational drawback - it's absurdly difficult to type on it with fingers any wider than a toothpick.

The antenna is pretty inefficient.  It's just a hamstick on a mirror mount on a short ground rod pushed into the ground about 5 inches. I use 4 clip-on radials tied together at the clip-on point 25 feet (or so ) in length.  The battery is a 7.5 amp hour Dakota Lithium.  It'll run that set-up for at least 10-12 hours of standard TX/RX for a POTA operation..

Anyway, with the other talk of APEs, etc., I thought someone might be interested.

Again, thanks all for your help this evening.

Eric/K9VIC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 07:34:06 PM CDT, k9vic <k9vic@...> wrote:

A very BIG THANKS to everyone who took time tonight to look for me.  It's very much appreciated.  Steve (W3HF) and I were able to connect on 49-meters before the bug situation drove me back inside.  I'll get my macros fixed and some bug spray before my next try, and hopefully find a better spot to operate.

Eric, K9VIC/4
On Tuesday, June 7, 2022, 06:56:35 PM CDT, Steve W3HF <w3hf@...> wrote:

got it. I'll be there.

Steve

Eric/K9VIC

Buz, WA5AMM

Steve
W3HF

Eric/K9VIC

--
de, WA5AMM, Buz

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

I like your set-up.  I'm using a Yaesu FT857 with SignaLink USB and a Notebook computer.  I have a 12v cord for the computer to the battery and backup batteries. Sometimes use a Buddipole antenna but often a Hamstick to my back door mount on the campervan or wire dipoles strung up in the trees.  I like to work 25 watts or so.
--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381