Jay Hudak Memorial Sprint

chris g7ogx

This is G7OGX calling CQ sprint. 3.580.350

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

GE Chris
I also am CQing from other side of the globe.
Ur shur up late tonight.
Probably fruitless as still 3 hrs of daylight left.
GL de
Barry
VA7GEM

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 02:21 PM, chris g7ogx wrote:
This is G7OGX calling CQ sprint. 3.580.350

WA7ETE #872

You?re spotting me BARRY 02:05  we should be able to make it.
WA7ETE
Central WA.
--
Steve Case

Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...>

Called CQ 80M sprint last evening on 3.580 from 0500-0600 UTC. Only made two contacts. Saw no other traces. I realize I have a compromise antenna, but there seemed to be plenty of action on the FT4 & FT8 sub-bands close by. I guess nobody is interested in out beloved mode anymore? :-(

Jerry N9AVY

Ken:

There were several stations operating contest last night, but the West Coast was totally absent.

Have a decent 80m antenna and station here in Northern Illinois, but best I could do was Mt & ID. There were stations from CA, WA & B.C., but none got through to me. Tossed the towel in at 0500 UTC/GMT.

Your inability to participate in contest was undoubtedly due poor propagation.  I was lucky to work 22 stations in 18 states.

Hopefully propagation will improve over the next couple years. Hang in there.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Called CQ 80M sprint last evening on 3.580 from 0500-0600 UTC. Only made two contacts. Saw no other traces. I realize I have a compromise antenna, but there seemed to be plenty of action on the FT4 & FT8 sub-bands close by. I guess nobody is interested in out beloved mode anymore? :-(

Mike W4BZM

... or some of us, due to HOA and lot size restrictions, are unable to work 80 meters at all.  It's not lack of interest.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 3:48 PM Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:
Called CQ 80M sprint last evening on 3.580 from 0500-0600 UTC. Only made two contacts. Saw no other traces. I realize I have a compromise antenna, but there seemed to be plenty of action on the FT4 & FT8 sub-bands close by. I guess nobody is interested in out beloved mode anymore? :-(

Jerry N9AVY

I hope everyone here knows my feelings on HOA’s and Ham Radio.  You have 2 choices:  10- Move  2) Eliminate HOA.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

... or some of us, due to HOA and lot size restrictions, are unable to work 80 meters at all.  It's not lack of interest.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 3:48 PM Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:

Called CQ 80M sprint last evening on 3.580 from 0500-0600 UTC. Only made two contacts. Saw no other traces. I realize I have a compromise antenna, but there seemed to be plenty of action on the FT4 & FT8 sub-bands close by. I guess nobody is interested in out beloved mode anymore? :-(

Jim K5SP

You make it sound like your solutions are easy.
.
For many, both your flippant suggestions are out of the question for financial reasons. Both moving and fighting to remove HOA's are extremely costly

I hope everyone here knows my feelings on HOA’s and Ham Radio.  You have 2 choices:  10- Move  2) Eliminate HOA.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

... or some of us, due to HOA and lot size restrictions, are unable to work 80 meters at all.  It's not lack of interest.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 3:48 PM Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:

Called CQ 80M sprint last evening on 3.580 from 0500-0600 UTC. Only made two contacts. Saw no other traces. I realize I have a compromise antenna, but there seemed to be plenty of action on the FT4 & FT8 sub-bands close by. I guess nobody is interested in out beloved mode anymore? :-(

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Bill Garwood

80 meters last night was terrible.  I never saw any stations in the western US or Canada.  Best I got was about 1100 miles and I have a fairly good 80 meter station.  I can usually get the west coast and sometimes Europe and South America with PSK31.  Hopefully the conditions will improve this winter.

In the past, I have worked a lot of EU stations on PSK31 that are in very restricted antenna areas but they still manage to have fun on HF.  Check the web for magnetic loops.  They are easy to build and also for sale.  They are using them on patios, decks and in the backyard on a tripod and even in the living room window.  Set it up, operate for a while then take it back down.  HOA??  What antenna??  Magloops are great for PSK as they are very narrow on the tuning.  Get an 80 meter magloop tuned up on 3.580 and make some contacts (if the propagation cooperates).   Other options include loading up the gutters on the house, flagpoles and similar.  Most small verticals can be tricked to operate with 25 watts or so on 80 meters.  Not very efficient but they can be used.  You can also get one of the HF mobile antennas with the loading coils and rig up something on a sawhorse or other temporary platform.  There are a lot of great ideas on the internet.

See y’all in the next contest.

73,

Bill N4GBK FM16 in NC

From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>

Date: 9/8/19 5:13 PM (GMT-06:00)

To: 070Club@groups.io

I hope everyone here knows my feelings on HOA’s and Ham Radio.  You have 2 choices:  10- Move  2) Eliminate HOA.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

... or some of us, due to HOA and lot size restrictions, are unable to work 80 meters at all.  It's not lack of interest.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 3:48 PM Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:

Called CQ 80M sprint last evening on 3.580 from 0500-0600 UTC. Only made two contacts. Saw no other traces. I realize I have a compromise antenna, but there seemed to be plenty of action on the FT4 & FT8 sub-bands close by. I guess nobody is interested in out beloved mode anymore? :-(

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I had planned on joining in last night.  We had the most massive thunderstorm I’ve seen in the Pacific Northwest.  No way I was going to spend a minute with an antenna connected to a rig.  That might explain some of the west coast absence.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!