Wide signals today

Larry Rockne #404

Bad Signal

Jerry,
 I understand you're position, however I hope you, and all PODXS members,  
if I have a signal 3 acres wide, you would
let me know either 'on the air' or by shooting me an e-mail.
I assure you there will be no indifference or threats. 

The last thing I want to do is interfere with folks, or tarnish my LONP.

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 9:47 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Mike:

Used to do that as an OO, but the results were everything from indifference to threats.  I gave up on emailing people.   Caught one ham I knew personally splattering all over … 50 kHz. Either side of primary frequency … and he fixed it, but the next day he was back offending as usual; this was after a personal phone call !

I would never ID a station as being wide, but I will say that most are relative newbies to PSK and that it’s probably ignorance rather than deliberate intention.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2019 11:13 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Wide signals today

Jerry,

You could always try looking up call signs for the offenders in QRZ.com and sending them a private, polite e-mail to advise them of the problem.  I know I appreciate it if someone tells me my signal is causing problems.  You can’t see your own signal.

I also try to give an honest RSQ rather than a courtesy 599.  That third digit describes visible pairs, and if it’s less than a 9, you can work with the other station to try to correct the problem - less transmit power, less audio gain, whatever.

Mike W4BZM

Jerry N9AVY

Mike:

Used to do that as an OO, but the results were everything from indifference to threats.  I gave up on emailing people.   Caught one ham I knew personally splattering all over … 50 kHz. Either side of primary frequency … and he fixed it, but the next day he was back offending as usual; this was after a personal phone call !

I would never ID a station as being wide, but I will say that most are relative newbies to PSK and that it’s probably ignorance rather than deliberate intention.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2019 11:13 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Wide signals today

Jerry,

You could always try looking up call signs for the offenders in QRZ.com and sending them a private, polite e-mail to advise them of the problem.  I know I appreciate it if someone tells me my signal is causing problems.  You can’t see your own signal.

I also try to give an honest RSQ rather than a courtesy 599.  That third digit describes visible pairs, and if it’s less than a 9, you can work with the other station to try to correct the problem - less transmit power, less audio gain, whatever.

Mike W4BZM

Mike W4BZM

Jerry,

You could always try looking up call signs for the offenders in QRZ.com and sending them a private, polite e-mail to advise them of the problem. I know I appreciate it if someone tells me my signal is causing problems. You can’t see your own signal.

I also try to give an honest RSQ rather than a courtesy 599. That third digit describes visible pairs, and if it’s less than a 9, you can work with the other station to try to correct the problem - less transmit power, less audio gain, whatever.

Mike W4BZM

Jerry N9AVY

Several wide signals with sidebands almost 100 Hz either side of primary frequency.  I check this by turning off AGC and inserting attenuation. 

Either people have processors turned on, too much power (50 watts should be enough), there should be no indication of ALC action or they’re overdriving.  All that is happening is that QRM is being created for other stations.

I would publish call signs, but that’s not a gentlemanly thing to do.   Besides, I’m no longer an OO. 

Jerry  n9avy