GET READY FOR SOME FIREWORKS - 40M FIRECRACKER SPRINT

stan W9SMR

The 070 Club 40m Firecracker Sprint Contest begins in one week!

The 24 hour window -

Opens at:  2000 UTC (1600 EDT) on Saturday July 6th

Closes at: 2000 UTC (1600 EDT) Sunday July 7th.

You choose your best 6 hour block when submitting your entry.  Logs due 1 week after contest closes. Open to all licensed amateurs.

4 categories – High, Medium, Low, and QRP power.

Exchange: Callsign,  Signal Report,  State/Province/Country (SPC).

Call:  “CQ 40m Sprint”

Full details can be found at: RULES- 40M FIRECRACKER SPRINT

Good luck to all and hope to see you on the waterfall!

Stan
W9SMR - 070  #1611
PODXS 070 - PR Director

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Stan
My turn to whine and cry.
I hate 40M contests in the summer.
The East Coast has wrapped up and gone to bed before
the west coast sees 40M open. The sun sets here at 07:22Z.
This is way too late for an old man to play.
Hope there is a good turn out.
Barry

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 10:55 AM, stan robinson wrote:
The 070 Club 40m Firecracker Sprint Contest begins in one week!

Good luck to all and hope to see you on the waterfall!

Stan
W9SMR - 070  #1611
PODXS 070 - PR Director

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

SRI time converter not wrkg but you get the point.
Now time for lunch while east coast has dinner.
Barry

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 12:15 PM, 1470 wrote:
Stan
My turn to whine and cry.
I hate 40M contests in the summer.
The East Coast has wrapped up and gone to bed before
the west coast sees 40M open. The sun sets here at 07:22Z.
This is way too late for an old man to play.
Hope there is a good turn out.
Barry

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 10:55 AM, stan robinson wrote:
The 070 Club 40m Firecracker Sprint Contest begins in one week!

Good luck to all and hope to see you on the waterfall!

Stan
W9SMR - 070  #1611
PODXS 070 - PR Director

K8TOM

Barry,

I join your whine and cry....it's our summer blessing to have 16 hour daylight periods at this time of year.  You can go out to mow the lawn at 8:30 no problem, garden until 10PM.  But 40M and 80M activity before 9:30-10PM...usually not so much.

Per Weather Underground at my QTH in NW WA on July 4th, by the time the band opens here it will be past midnight back east.  Oh well.

SUN
RISE
SET
Actual Time
5:12 AM
9:12 PM
Civil Twilight
4:31 AM
9:52
SUN
RISE
SET
Actual Time
5:12 AM
9:12 PM
Civil Twilight
4:31 AM
9:52

SUN            Rise          SET

Actual Time

                   5:12 AM      9:12 PM

Civil Twilight

                   4:31 AM      9:52 PM

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Tom
At least I am not alone.
Got the wife to help with the math and turns out
sunset is about 04:20Z but band doesnt wake up till 05:00Z.

Had a look at the history of The Firecracker and found
the following results..
2018 there was 0 contacts after 04:00Z
2017 there were 5 after 04:00Z
2016 there were 32 after 04:00Z
2015 there were  32 after 04:00Z

Strangely this just happens to coincide with the two of us whining on the digest.
Maybe we should lobby the executive to let us have a 40M contest in the begining
of July where the only points are contacts with a PNW station. Alternatively another
thing may help is to assign 100 bonus points to any PNW station. This would keep the
active calls going a bit later.
now I am just rambling
cheers de Barry

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 12:49 PM, K8TOM wrote:
[...]

Jim K5SP

I will make every attempt to be up and operating late.?? It may be outside my six hour window, and may not count for me, but a contact will count for you.

I would wager N5SLY will be up also.

Jim K5SP

On 6/28/2019 4:12 PM, 1470 via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

??

Actual Time

?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??5:12??AM?? ?? ????9:12??PM

Civil Twilight

?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??4:31??AM?? ?? ????9:52??PM

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Rick - N7WE

Here in central Florida (the lightning capital of the US) our summer blessing is almost daily, and sometimes several times a day, T-storms.  The issue for summer contesting is not what time the band opens, it is when to tip the vertical back up so you can get on air.  Sometimes the cells just line up and freight train through, one after the other.  I think my record was up and down 5 times in one 24 hour period.  Continuous 6 hour block?  Good luck with that!  But you grow where you are planted.

Do you guys in the PNW get 40m openings to Alaska, Hawaii, and Japan?  It's been years since I could work Japan or Hawaii on 40m and I still have never worked Alaska on 40m from this QTH.

1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Rick
Really slow on the mail here SRI
Alaska  4 cntcts since 2016, 3 with WL7CG
Japan   4 cntcts since 2016 with 2 ops.
from ur perspective it aint all bad out here.
cheers
Barry