new mode

Randy True

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

Randy I found the FT4 protocol release notes. It is set as a primarily contest mode and the transmit cycle goes from 12.64 seconds to 4.48.
Currently the recommended frequencies are above FT8...3.595, 7.090, 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140 and 28.180.

I’ll post the link when I get to my main computer. I think we are still safe...for now.

VA3FLF

On Apr 22, 2019, at 15:29, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT

Jim K5SP

Isn't 30m psk on 10.140?

Encroachment on 30 just like on 17!!!

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Paul NU4C <nu4c@...>

Yes 10.140 is PSK and both 17m & 30m are NO CONTEST bands

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

On 4/22/2019 3:14 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:
Randy I found the FT4 protocol release notes. It is set as a primarily contest mode and the transmit cycle goes from 12.64 seconds to 4.48.
Currently the recommended frequencies are above FT8...3.595, 7.090, 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140 and 28.180.

I’ll post the link when I get to my main computer. I think we are still safe...for now.

VA3FLF

On Apr 22, 2019, at 15:29, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT

N9JCA Chris Matthews <n9jca.chris@...>

10.140 is the PSK31 freq

Chris N9JCA
73
10-10 # 75247
FISTS # 16408
LONP  # 165
PODXS # 797
On 4/22/19 3:14 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:

Randy I found the FT4 protocol release notes. It is set as a primarily contest mode and the transmit cycle goes from 12.64 seconds to 4.48.
Currently the recommended frequencies are above FT8...3.595, 7.090, 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140 and 28.180.

I’ll post the link when I get to my main computer. I think we are still safe...for now.

VA3FLF

On Apr 22, 2019, at 15:29, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT

N9JCA Chris Matthews <n9jca.chris@...>

FT8 has gotten out of hand

NO Consideration for other Modes

Go where they want to

Point in question

NO matter where you go when a Band is open

there's FT8 operating way out of the alloted 2KHz

I have seen them operating 3 and 4 KHz out

7.074 to 7.076 is the alloted freq

but have seen them out as far 7.079

Chris N9JCA
73
10-10 # 75247
FISTS # 16408
LONP  # 165
PODXS # 797
On 4/22/19 4:48 PM, Paul NU4C wrote:

Yes 10.140 is PSK and both 17m & 30m are NO CONTEST bands

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

On 4/22/2019 3:14 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:
Randy I found the FT4 protocol release notes. It is set as a primarily contest mode and the transmit cycle goes from 12.64 seconds to 4.48.
Currently the recommended frequencies are above FT8...3.595, 7.090, 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140 and 28.180.

I’ll post the link when I get to my main computer. I think we are still safe...for now.

VA3FLF

On Apr 22, 2019, at 15:29, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT

Jerry N9AVY

Just like a bunch of CBers with no regard for band plans. They’re running amok.

Jerry n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 4/22/2019 3:14 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:

Randy I found the FT4 protocol release notes. It is set as a primarily contest mode and the transmit cycle goes from 12.64 seconds to 4.48.

Currently the recommended frequencies are above FT8...3.595, 7.090, 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140 and 28.180.

I’ll post the link when I get to my main computer. I think we are still safe...for now.

VA3FLF

On Apr 22, 2019, at 15:29, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT

Jerry N9AVY

By Gentlemen’s Agreement there is no contesting on WARC bands.

Jerry  N9AVY

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 4/22/19 3:14 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:

Randy I found the FT4 protocol release notes. It is set as a primarily contest mode and the transmit cycle goes from 12.64 seconds to 4.48.

Currently the recommended frequencies are above FT8...3.595, 7.090, 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140 and 28.180.

I’ll post the link when I get to my main computer. I think we are still safe...for now.

VA3FLF

On Apr 22, 2019, at 15:29, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT

N9JCA Chris Matthews <n9jca.chris@...>

I just wrote a note to Joe Taylor informing him that

10.140 is the freq that PSK uses on 30M

There was other stuff I said in my note

we'll have to wait and see what the outcome is

Chris N9JCA

73

10-10 # 75247

FISTS # 16408

LONP # 165

PODXS # 797

On 4/22/19 5:46 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

[...]

Chris:

You’ll no doubt be ignored as others have been.  Sorry.

He’s only interested in creating new modes and disrupting band plan.

jerry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 4/22/19 3:14 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:

Randy I found the FT4 protocol release notes. It is set as a primarily contest mode and the transmit cycle goes from 12.64 seconds to 4.48.

Currently the recommended frequencies are above FT8...3.595, 7.090, 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140 and 28.180.

I’ll post the link when I get to my main computer. I think we are still safe...for now.

VA3FLF

On Apr 22, 2019, at 15:29, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT

Ray Clements

30 meters is a VERY narrow band, encompassing only 10.100 - 10.150 MHz.

According to the ARRL band plan, which is the only  plan of significance other than FCC regulations in the USA, allocates 10.130 - 10.140 as RTTY.   That tiny slice of spectrum has to be shared by all digital modes with the exception of Packet which is allocated 10.140 - 10.150.

Thus, any operations above 10.140 are encroaching upon the Packet allocation.

Although 12 meters and 17 meters are also fairly narrow, they are twice as wide as 30 meters.

Ray N9RWC

On 4/22/19 3:14 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:

Randy I found the FT4 protocol release notes. It is set as a primarily contest mode and the transmit cycle goes from 12.64 seconds to 4.48.

Currently the recommended frequencies are above FT8...3.595, 7.090, 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140 and 28.180.

I’ll post the link when I get to my main computer. I think we are still safe...for now.

VA3FLF

On Apr 22, 2019, at 15:29, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT

> MIME Type: image/png

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

Attached is the link to the protocol paper for FT4. There is a schedule for beta testing with a final general release on July 15th.

Good catch on the WARC bands. If this new mode is for contesting, then there would be no need for WARC band capabilities. Wonder if Dr. Taylor is aware,,,,or cares. Someone mentioned FT8 signals all over the bands now. As I understand the concept for DX peditions using FT8, there is now a Fox and Hound mode for these events. The DX pedition is supposed to announce the freq. they will be operating for the event. Other than that, FT8 should be at the software location. Remember too, there is now a JS8 call mode which is a derivative of FT8. I am not sure of those frequencies but they are listed on his Reflector.

I am not jumping in the middle of the FT8 / allocations war of words. I understand everyone's feelings but we all know it just boils down to venting about an issue that is out of our control. I have done all I can do by talking to ARRL reps and RAC.
Dont let them get you down fellows. Enjoy life.

FT4 Protocol

VA3FLF/KM4FLF

Ray Clements

Just because a mode is used for contesting does not mean it cannot be used on the WARC bands. It just means that it cannot be used for contesting purposes on those bands.

CW and RTTY are certainly "contesting" modes, but they are permitted as long as they are not being used during a contest, JT4 would be similar.

Ray N9RWC

[...]

Why all this info on FT8 ???  PODXS is PSK31club !  Maybe we should change to an FT8 club ???

[...]

According to the document FT4 is an experimental digital mode designed specifically for radio contesting. At least for now anyway.

[...]

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Yes it is

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065

I live to live for Him!

On Apr 22, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

[...]

Justin Mattes--KC2GIK

I've asked this question before and never got a straight answer. Why can't
the CW folks be forced to give up some of their porti[on of the bands?
Digital modes have become more popular, why can't folks change with the
times? More digital modes should mean more frequency allocation

Justin KC2GIK

On Mon, April 22, 2019 10:12 pm, Dan Morris wrote:

Yes it is
Dan Morris KZ3T 070-1065
dbmorris315@gmail.com

I live to live for Him!

On Apr 22, 2019, at 15:29, Randy True <w4rttrandy@outlook.com
<mailto:w4rttrandy@outlook.com>> wrote:

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be
unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a
faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get
further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT
--
Jim, K5SP #483
Member Services Director

--

Justin Mattes-KC2GIK
http://www.justinmattes.com

Jerry N9AVY

CW is allowed everywhere on the bands and always has been.  You can operate CW in the phone bands, but most don’t.  If a new band plan were to be created, CW ops would certainly give up something.  CW ops are ot the problem, except during major contests and most of us can live with that on  weekend.

The problem is all the different digital mode ops , but mostly FT8 ops who seem to think they can go anywhere they want. The solution would be training, but some are unteachable.

Jerry   n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I've asked this question before and never got a straight answer. Why can't

the CW folks be forced to give up some of their porti[on of the bands?

Digital modes have become more popular, why can't folks change with the

times? More digital modes should mean more frequency allocation

Justin KC2GIK

On Mon, April 22, 2019 10:12 pm, Dan Morris wrote:

> Yes it is

> Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065

> dbmorris315@...

> I live to live for Him!

>> On Apr 22, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

>> Isn't 30m psk on 10.140?

>> Encroachment on 30 just like on 17!!!

>> On 4/22/2019 3:14 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:

>>> Randy I found the FT4 protocol release notes. It is set as a primarily

>>> contest mode and the transmit cycle goes from 12.64 seconds to 4.48.

>>> Currently the recommended frequencies are above FT8...3.595, 7.090,

>>> 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140 and 28.180.

>>> I’ll post the link when I get to my main computer. I think we are

>>> still safe...for now.

>>> Steve

>>> 2301

--

Justin Mattes-KC2GIK

http://www.justinmattes.com

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Well Justin, I can take you down to CW portion especially between 7050-7060 and on any of the other bands and you would be surprised how popular CW is becoming again.  I’ve renewed my interest in CW the past year and I can definitely count on making many CW contacts in a day compare to any digital mode right now.  There is plenty of room for everyone and no need for someone else to give up anything. If you are suggesting CW give up something I would ask you how about the SSB portion give up part of their portion as there is plenty of room there.  Nobody should be forced to give up anything.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

<mailto:w4rttrandy@...>> wrote:

Just got a notice from the FT8 Facebook group that they will be
unveiling a new mode ; FT4, at the end of the month. Basically a
faster FT8 that is meant for contesters. Let's hope we don't get
further encroached upon.

Randy W4RTT

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

--

Justin Mattes-KC2GIK
http://www.justinmattes.com

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Agreed Jerry - We can go anywhere pretty much.  Things seemed to be pretty much fine until this FT8 started up and as you said they go anywhere they want and interfere with anyone they want. They just don’t care and I wonder if training would do any good either. . .

You said CW ops are not the problem except during contests — Hmmm, I could say that for RTTY as well.  During contests RTTY guys are all over the place and most of the CW ops have to rely on the WARC bands to operate till the RTTY contests are over.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Apr 23, 2019, at 3:33 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

CW is allowed everywhere on the bands and always has been.  You can operate CW in the phone bands, but most don’t.  If a new band plan were to be created, CW ops would certainly give up something.  CW ops are ot the problem, except during major contests and most of us can live with that on  weekend.

The problem is all the different digital mode ops , but mostly FT8 ops who seem to think they can go anywhere they want. The solution would be training, but some are unteachable.

Jerry   n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I've asked this question before and never got a straight answer. Why can't
the CW folks be forced to give up some of their porti[on of the bands?
Digital modes have become more popular, why can't folks change with the
times? More digital modes should mean more frequency allocation

Justin KC2GIK

On Mon, April 22, 2019 10:12 pm, Dan Morris wrote:
> Yes it is
> Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065
> I live to live for Him!
>> On Apr 22, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't 30m psk on 10.140?
>>
>> Encroachment on 30 just like on 17!!!
>>
>> On 4/22/2019 3:14 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:
>>> Randy I found the FT4 protocol release notes. It is set as a primarily
>>> contest mode and the transmit cycle goes from 12.64 seconds to 4.48.
>>> Currently the recommended frequencies are above FT8...3.595, 7.090,
>>> 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140 and 28.180.
>>>
>>> I’ll post the link when I get to my main computer. I think we are
>>> still safe...for now.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>> 2301

--