30 Meter Multi Mode Weekend - March 16th & 17th 2019

Don_KB9UMT

*** Hope some of the 070 members can get active on 30 meter PSK this weekend.....great way to meet other members, keep PSK alive and also for 070 WARC/30 endorsement

30 Meter Multi Mode Weekend

When:  March 16th and 17th 2019
Where: 10 MHz - 30 Meter Band (10.100 – 10.150)
Objective: To promote experimenting and using different digital modes on the unique 30 Meter Band

Please join in if you have time this weekend.  Those of you who want to participate using the more common modes of CW, FT8, BPSK31, RTTY, we welcome that, but those wanting to try other less used modes please do so and turn your RSID/TXID on to help others know what mode you are transmitting (common modes i.e. BPSK31/RTTY no need for RSID, do use RSID on the less common/exotic modes i.e. QBSK/HELL/MSK/DOMINOEX/THOR/THROB/CONTESTIA/OLIVIA/etc.).

A number of digital mode groups will be participating this weekend so if you have wanted to try out a new digital mode or make some contacts using less common digital modes this weekend might be of interest to you.  There are a number of multi-mode digital software programs so this is also a chance to get on the 30 Meter Band to try them out.  Most of them have RSID/TXID (Reed Solomon Identifier- automatic mode detection and tuning which will help or aid for the less commonly used digital modes so turn on the RSID/TXID).

This event is NOT a contest…no set times…no rules…no exchanges…no logs to send in or to anyone....no winners other than those that participate with casual use of the 30 Meter Band knowing that others with like interests will be on this weekend to experiment, ragchew, DX and have some fun trying different digital modes!

Where on the 30 Meter Band to find different digital mode activity:
(Note: these are suggested only and observations of known digital mode activity....all dial frequencies are USB for digital modes.....below " **** " indicates for the more active or used frequencies/modes)

10.100 - 10.130 CW   ****

10.130 -  FT8Call
10.132 - SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 2

10.132 - 10.134  ROS Region 1 (Region 2 - note not legal in USA)

10.135 - OPERA

10.136 - FT8 (WSJT)  ****

10.138 - JT65 JT9 (WSJT)
10.1386 - MEPT/WSPR
10.138 - 10.140 - JT65 (WSJT)
10.1405 - PROPNET & PropNet Robots (BPSK31)
10.140 - 10.141 BPSK31 QRP
10.140 - 10.142  BPSK31 - DX Region 1,2,3 (or BPSK/QPSK,31,63,125,etc.)  ****

10.142 -  10.144  RTTY
10.142 - 10.145  RTTY,MFSK,THOR,THROB,DOMINO,OLIVIA,CONTESTIA, SIM31,etc. -
note:Turn on TXID/RXID
10.144 - FeldHELL (10.137 - 10.144)
10.144 - SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 1
10.142 - 10.144 - ALE-400hz
10.145 - 10.148 - ALE-2khz
10.147 – 10.148 PSKMail/APRS
10.1491 - 10.1495 APRS

For a more detailed 30 Meter Band Utilization Chart our digital friend Ian G3NRW has helped us on that so please go here:  http://g3nrw.net/30m/

Operating hints for the weekend:
-   Do use RSID (RXID/TXID) for the less common/exotic modes (i.e. Contestia,Olivia,Domino,etc)
-   Do CQ with RSID for more than just a few of CQ’s, don’t expect to have someone to reply on a less common used mode the first few CQ’s…give it a while for others to find you and the mode being used
-   Do use good operating habits – clean signal, lowest wattage to complete the QSO, QRL in common mode first, if band is busy or crowded spread out or use narrower width modes (i.e. if band is busy don’t use OLIVIA 8/500 in the middle of the 30 Meter PSK 10.141 portion of the Band-not good operating habit if the band is busy and you will not make many friends)

-   Do not let not having a dedicated 30 meter antenna stop you from joining in....load up what antenna you do have and give it a go on 30 meters.
-   Do have fun and compare modes, wattage, antennas, etc with other operators that are interested to do the same..most the 30 Meter Digital Operators are not Call,599,73 most want a QSO (even DX) but also keep in mind that for poor band conditions or weak signal work WSJT modes of FT8 (JT65/9) is hard to beat!
-   Do use http://www.HamSpots.net for spotting, announcements of mode, etc.

****Please note we are secondary users of the 30 Meter Band and to use good operating procedures
http://www.30mdg.org/tips.html

Have fun and hope to see you on the waterfall!

Thanks from the 30 Meter Digital Group (30MDG) celebrating over 10 years and 10,000 members on the 10mhz 30 Meter Band!

Don kb9umt 30MDG#00001
http://www.30mdg.org/
https://groups.io/g/30MDG

Rick - N7WE

CQing on 10.141 at 15:00 Not seeing any PSK31 traces.  Anyone out there?

OK, CQed for 10 minutes...nada.  Lots of PSK traces on 40 and 20 so the band should be open.  Also, lots of FT8 lower in the band.  Not my mode.  Maybe later.

Don_KB9UMT

Hi Rick,

Glad to see someone using PSK giving it a go on 30 meters today.  I use to be able to make a 30 meter PSK contact with only 1 or 2 CQs but since FT8 has come along there is little to no PSK activity on 30 meters which is too bad as I like to use PSK and ragchew using PSK.....might take me now 20 to 40 minutes of PSK CQing on 30 meters to drum up a PSK QSO/contact.

Anyway just so you know that this 30 Meter Multi Mode Weekend is the weekend of March 16th and 17th so coming up next month and hope to see some PSK activity that weekend on 30 meters...would be great to see.

Thanks
Don KB9UMT

30 Meter Multi Mode Weekend
When:  March 16th and 17th 2019
Where: 10 MHz - 30 Meter Band (10.100 – 10.150)
Objective: To promote experimenting and using different digital modes on the unique 30 Meter Band

Jim K5SP

Don, will post this in the 070 club group.

Jim, K5SP
070 Membership Director

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Rick - N7WE

My bad Don.  I read your post and just jumped on.  Didn't pay attention to the dates!  But I marked my calendar and will be there on the 16/17 if I can.  It's too bad there isn't more PSK31 on 30m.  It is a great band with generally good prop.  Stays open here in FL long after sundown...maybe all night.  I don't know - I go to sleep earlier these days.  You'd think with the Tri-WARC and then the 30/30m endorsements we would see more people on.  Guess it is just one of those "best kept secrets!"  Hope to work you in the 30m MM Weekend!

declan lennon

Lovebtobtake part but will be in togo with 7q7ei

Declan EI9HQ

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 at 14:03, Don_KB9UMT via Groups.Io
<dhobson123@...> wrote:

[...]

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

I am looking forward to that weekend. Hopefully I will have some time to operators. I’ve been checking 30m on a regular basis, but have not yet seen a single PSK31 signal there. Maybe I am not looking in the right spot: Fldigi comes up with a default of 10,138MHz - looking through PSKSpotter, I found that most signals are actually a couple Khz higher, so I've been checking from 10,138 to 10,145, but again with no luck so far. That’s why I am glad that a formal operating event is scheduled for 30m - I might finally find a signal :)

Karl Heinz - K5KHK