Up and running portable in Lake Havasu

Paula K7PAX #1739

Hi Guys!

I am up and running on 20m Quickstik dipole in Lake Havasu City. Just work Connecticut and North Carolina. Rick, where are you?

Paula K7PAX 1739

Peter, NN9K #2629

Paula---you signal was looking good but you disappeared.................have fun and CU another time!

Rick - N7WE

Worked Paula easily from central Florida on 20m.  Strong signal, but I did have some local QRM that got in the way.  She had the dipole leaning against the house - and up only about 15 ft!  But it worked!  She is planning to be on 40m this evening.  Look for her and give her a call!  
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Paula K7PAX #1739

And I just worked my friend Suke, JM7OLW in Fukushima on 20m easy. I’m so stoked! This is gonna be so much fun! Woo Hoo!

Paula K7PAX 1739

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick - N7WE
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2019 2:05 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Up and running portable in Lake Havasu

Worked Paula easily from central Florida on 20m.  Strong signal, but I did have some local QRM that got in the way.  She had the dipole leaning against the house - and up only about 15 ft!  But it worked!  She is planning to be on 40m this evening.  Look for her and give her a call!  
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Paula’s got a great signal on 20m into the PNW USA.  And yes, Suke JM7OLW is booming in here as well, down low.  Suke has been appearing pretty consistently every afternoon.  Always great to connect with hiim!

I’m sad I won’t be home to try 40m tonite, I think that would get my 88 Tri-Band endorsement.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Feb 1, 2019, at 2:10 PM, Paula K7PAX #1739 via Groups.Io <hamette@...> wrote:

And I just worked my friend Suke, JM7OLW in Fukushima on 20m easy. I’m so stoked! This is gonna be so much fun! Woo Hoo!

Paula K7PAX 1739

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick - N7WE
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2019 2:05 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Up and running portable in Lake Havasu

-- 
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

Just worked Paula and a good signal into FL.  The hamstick dipole seems to be working well on 20mtrs. 

Dick - KC3EF

Paula K7PAX #1739

Paul, I will be here for a while, so you’ll have a chance to get me on 40 meters. And anyone else that needs a YL on 40 meters! Come one, come all! I will be on this evening if at all possible!

Paula K7PAX 1739

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2019 2:29 PM

Paula’s got a great signal on 20m into the PNW USA.  And yes, Suke JM7OLW is booming in here as well, down low.  Suke has been appearing pretty consistently every afternoon.  Always great to connect with hiim!

I’m sad I won’t be home to try 40m tonite, I think that would get my 88 Tri-Band endorsement.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Feb 1, 2019, at 2:10 PM, Paula K7PAX #1739 via Groups.Io <hamette@...> wrote:

Paula K7PAX 1739

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick - N7WE
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2019 2:05 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Up and running portable in Lake Havasu

-- 
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Paula K7PAX #1739

Peter,

My computer locked up and I had to restart DM780 – I watched for a while to see if you would call me again, but I didn’t see you, so I moved on to the Japan Station. Hope to get you again. Sorry about that!

Paula K7PAX 1739

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter, NN9K #2629
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2019 1:58 PM

Paula---you signal was looking good but you disappeared.................have fun and CU another time!

Peter, NN9K #2629

No problem--enjoy the "vacation"!

On 2/1/2019 4:39 PM, Paula K7PAX #1739 via Groups.Io wrote:

Peter,

My computer locked up and I had to restart DM780 – I watched for a while to see if you would call me again, but I didn’t see you, so I moved on to the Japan Station. Hope to get you again. Sorry about that!

Paula K7PAX 1739

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter, NN9K #2629
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2019 1:58 PM

--
Peter, NN9K

Goals are dreams with due dates.

"The Truth Is Out There"

Rick - N7WE

Paula-
How about an update?  How is the portable op going?  Were you able to get on 40m and have any luck?  Could you make it into the Pacific on either band?  Any DX into Europe or South America?  I think you initially said you would be there for a month.  Does that mean you will be on from there for the Valentine Sprint?  Sure could use a YL contact from Lake Havasu City! 73,
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Alan Sorum WL7CG

On cover of QRZ this morning. WL7CG

Paula K7PAX #1739

Alan, thanks for getting this screen shot. I missed it on QRZ, but at least I have proof!

Paula K7PAX 1739

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Sorum WL7CG
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2019 10:38 AM

On cover of QRZ this morning. WL7CG

Paula K7PAX #1739

Well, I have had lots to do since I got here, but I have made 31 contacts on 20 and 40 meters. Ten of those were DX.  I made 7 contacts on PSK31 – 20m the first day, including FL, NC, CT, CA, WA and Japan. The second day I worked Geary in Oklahoma. Haven’t had any luck on 40m PSK31, but have worked quite a bit of FT8 on both 20 and 40, including many states in the US, one contact in Alberta Canada, several in Japan, and two in South Korea. I often see Indonesia and sometimes Australia in the early morning on 40, but they can’t hear me. I saw quite a bit of Central and South America tonight, but again, they couldn’t hear me.

But I’m happy having worked a couple of S Korea, and hope to have better success with more seat time. I see lots of interesting signals, so something has got to give, right?

And yes, I will be here on Valentine’s Day, but it is also my 25th wedding anniversary, so I don’t know how much time I can give to radio that day  . . . we’ll see!

Paula K7PAX 1739

Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2019 9:35 AM

Paula-
How about an update?  How is the portable op going?  Were you able to get on 40m and have any luck?  Could you make it into the Pacific on either band?  Any DX into Europe or South America?  I think you initially said you would be there for a month.  Does that mean you will be on from there for the Valentine Sprint?  Sure could use a YL contact from Lake Havasu City! 73,
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Larry Rockne #404

Thanks Paula for the conn=tact from Lake Havasu City. 

73, Larry
WA7HDZ 
LONP #137

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 9:04 PM Paula K7PAX #1739 via Groups.Io <hamette=hushmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Well, I have had lots to do since I got here, but I have made 31 contacts on 20 and 40 meters. Ten of those were DX.  I made 7 contacts on PSK31 – 20m the first day, including FL, NC, CT, CA, WA and Japan. The second day I worked Geary in Oklahoma. Haven’t had any luck on 40m PSK31, but have worked quite a bit of FT8 on both 20 and 40, including many states in the US, one contact in Alberta Canada, several in Japan, and two in South Korea. I often see Indonesia and sometimes Australia in the early morning on 40, but they can’t hear me. I saw quite a bit of Central and South America tonight, but again, they couldn’t hear me.

But I’m happy having worked a couple of S Korea, and hope to have better success with more seat time. I see lots of interesting signals, so something has got to give, right?

And yes, I will be here on Valentine’s Day, but it is also my 25th wedding anniversary, so I don’t know how much time I can give to radio that day  . . . we’ll see!

Paula K7PAX 1739

Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2019 9:35 AM

Paula-
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

Hi Paula,

How did your 40mtr dipole work?  Did it load up on 15?  I am curious if you had any success. 

Dick - KC3EF 

Paula K7PAX #1739

Hi Dick and everyone else! My dipoles have been working great. I’ve mostly been working FT8 since I want to take advantage of my southerly position to get more DX, which I can’t seem to do on PSK. That being said, however, your question was “how is the dipole working?” – I’ve made 78 contacts since I’ve been here. Sixty of them on 40m, and 18 on 20m. Fifty domestic contacts, and 28 DX contacts, to include 3 Canada, 1 China, 1 Hawaii, 2 Indonesia, 13 Japan, 1 Mexico, 1 Philippines, 5 South Korea, and 1 Singapore.

I did try to tune up the 40 on 15 meters, and got an acceptable SWR, but there was no activity at the time. I haven’t tried it again yet. So much to do down here, it was kinda low priority.

All in all, I’m very happy with the QuickStick Dipole setup from Quicksilver Radio.

Paula K7PAX 1739

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Rohrer
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 3:12 PM

Hi Paula,

How did your 40mtr dipole work?  Did it load up on 15?  I am curious if you had any success. 

Dick - KC3EF 

K7DWI Art

Good morning Paula,
Enjoy the warm weather.
Here near Prescott.we are expecting 15 to 20 inches of snow beginning tonight through Friday morning.
I hope to keep the antennas and feedlines dry :)
73 Art KA5DWI DM34 Dewey AZ #2518

Richard Rohrer

Hi Paula,

Looks like you are getting good results with your portable setup.  Makes me thing about purchasing another 40mtr hamstick so I can add that band to my portable operation.  

Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

Good idea Dick !

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:56 PM

Hi Paula,

Looks like you are getting good results with your portable setup.  Makes me thing about purchasing another 40mtr hamstick so I can add that band to my portable operation.  

Dick - KC3EF

Richard Rohrer

Hi Jerry,

Been trying to get the SWR down on the 40 mtr hamstick, but can't seem to get below 3:1.  Tried an old Hustler with a 40 mtr resonator and was not much better.  I think the antenna is to near the van body and it affects the antenna on 40 too much. Looking into mounting it on one of the roof racks to see if that would give better SWR.

Dick - KC3EF