Seeking antenna suggestions

Paula K7PAX #1739

Hi group! I am going to Lake Havasu City for a month and want to take my IC7000 with me. I do not have a portable antenna setup to use with it.

I was looking at the MFJ Octopus kit which gives you the hub and a set of 4 pairs of hamsticks. I would buy a tripod and pushup mast for it.  Anyone ever used one or anything like it?

One of the questions I have is “which four pairs of hamsticks should I choose?” I am asking this because I know what bands I want to work, but I have read where sometimes one set can tune up on more than one band – 40/20 meters I think. I was thinking I want to work 15, 20, and 40. I also want VHF, so I could either choose a VHF pair, or I could mount my VHF vertical on top, and choose another HF pair, say 10 or 80 meters to fill out the octopus.

I would love to hear everyone chime in and give me their ideas. I am leaving in a week, so I either have to move fast and get something ordered, or just have it shipped to my destination in AZ.

What would you guys do? I’ve never operated portable before. I know a lot of you have.

Paula K7PAX 1739

Brian (N2MLP)

40/15 work as a dual band

========================

de N2MLP Brian

Monroe County PA

========================

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Paula K7PAX #1739 via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 5:34 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: [070Club] Seeking antenna suggestions

Hi group! I am going to Lake Havasu City for a month and want to take my IC7000 with me. I do not have a portable antenna setup to use with it.

I was looking at the MFJ Octopus kit which gives you the hub and a set of 4 pairs of hamsticks. I would buy a tripod and pushup mast for it.  Anyone ever used one or anything like it?

One of the questions I have is “which four pairs of hamsticks should I choose?” I am asking this because I know what bands I want to work, but I have read where sometimes one set can tune up on more than one band – 40/20 meters I think. I was thinking I want to work 15, 20, and 40. I also want VHF, so I could either choose a VHF pair, or I could mount my VHF vertical on top, and choose another HF pair, say 10 or 80 meters to fill out the octopus.

I would love to hear everyone chime in and give me their ideas. I am leaving in a week, so I either have to move fast and get something ordered, or just have it shipped to my destination in AZ.

What would you guys do? I’ve never operated portable before. I know a lot of you have.

Paula K7PAX 1739

Paula K7PAX #1739

So my IT-100 tuner would suffice to work 15m on a 40m hamstick . . .

Paula

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian (N2MLP)
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 14:37
Subject: Re: [070Club] Seeking antenna suggestions

========================

de N2MLP Brian

Monroe County PA

========================

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Paula K7PAX #1739 via Groups.Io

Paula K7PAX 1739

Brian (N2MLP)

15 meters should be a good match on a 40m hamstick

========================

de N2MLP Brian

Monroe County PA

========================

Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 5:40 PM

Paula

========================

de N2MLP Brian

Monroe County PA

========================

Paula K7PAX 1739

Brian (N2MLP)

If using push up poles a fan dipole  will also work

Cheaper too

========================

de N2MLP Brian

Monroe County PA

========================

Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 5:40 PM

Paula

========================

de N2MLP Brian

Monroe County PA

========================

Paula K7PAX 1739

Rick - N7WE

Paula-

For a month!!!  Lucky you!  Enjoy! 

I don't have any experience with the MFJ Octopus so can't comment on that.  But if you want to work 2m FM, use your vertical.  There is great debate about cross-polarization loss.  Some say 20db, other up to 60db.  But they all agree there is substantial loss. 

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jerry N9AVY

Paula:

Would think best choices might be 80/30/40/20m   might try 17 meters , but it’s mostly FT-8 (ugh)

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 4:34 PM

Paula K7PAX 1739

stan W9SMR

Paula,

I asked my APE partner Bob, KC9UR, who each year designs and assembles our antenna farm for the Pontoon Portable APE to give you some suggestions. Here is his response:

"Several things come to mind for multi-band portable operation.

The first would be an LNR Precision Quad End-fed antenna. It's resonant on 40m, 20m, 15m and 10m and can be configured as a vertical, horizontal, sloper or inverted vee. I have one and it performs well. I've used the matching transformer with various other resonant end fed wires on our APEs over the years. LNR is a U.S. Company, so they should be able to deliver quickly.

Another suggestion would be a linked dipole - it would be much more efficient (i.e. it would get out much better) than a hamstick
dipole. They can easily be home-brewed and are light and easy to carry. . Sotabeam in the UK has some nice multi-band portable dipoles, but I don't know how quickly they can deliver. It could be set up as an inverted bee using a tree or fishing pole to support the center, or you could pick up a few more db of gain if the ends are elevated.

Another configuration that we have successfully used on a number of APEs is to use an LNR Quad End-fed matching transformer with a 67 foot length of wire in a 20m half-square configuration. Since it is end-fed, it resonates on 40m, 20m, 15m, and 10m. On 20m it provides 3 to 4 dbi gain in a figure 8 dipole-like pattern. It does require two 20ft high supports spaced around 33ft apart.

Good luck, and have fun in the sun!

Bob, KC9UR."

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Paula K7PAX #1739 via Groups.Io <hamette=hushmail.com@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 5:33 PM

I was looking at the MFJ Octopus kit which gives you the hub and a set of 4 pairs of hamsticks. I would buy a tripod and pushup mast for it. Anyone ever used one or anything like it?

Paula K7PAX 1739

Richard Rohrer

Hi Paula,

After running several portable operations using different antennas and I have had the best results using two 20 mtr ham sticks as a dipole.  I use a 22 ft fiberglass flag pole I purchased several years ago at an RV show.  The vendor said I must be a ham radio operator since they are the only people that buy the 22 ft version.  I home brewed a mount for the ham sticks and it has worked pretty well.  The main advantage is you don't need any other supports, which if you are staying in a timeshare or other rental can be a plus.  When we lived in the RV there were several places we stayed that would not allow any ropes in the trees or any thing driven in the ground, so the pole was necessary to get on the air.  I use one of the ham sticks for my mobile operations.  I am not sure a 40 mtr hams stick would resonate on 15.  I have one and I may try it to see if it works.  I have also found that trying to load them on other bands using a tuner, although the tuner could find a solution, they did not work well and caused some RFI.  

I have used an end feed antenna and found that while it works I did not get very good results with it.  When I have time I am going to see if I can work out a better wire length.  I have also use a 23 foot wire with my AH-4 auto antenna tuner, which gives me all band coverage with only one support.  I do use a counterpoise with it.  Worked ok, but caused one of the arc flash circuit breakers at our friends house to trip and also caused RFI to the recliner in the family room, it would extend when I transmitter, hi hi. 

As a couple of others have suggested I am in the process of building a add on dipole that will start at 17 mtrs and allow extra wire segments to be added to cover 20, 30 and 40.  

The other thing I liked about the fiberglass pole, is that at night I could collapse it and the antenna virtually disappeared.   I would only extend it when I wanted to operate.  

These are my thoughts and I am still working on various solutions for portable ops, but if you don't try something you won't discover what works. 

Dick - KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

Paula-

What did you decide?  I for one will be very interested in hearing what you ended up with and how it works for you.  Please keep us posted!  Hoping to work you when you are in Lake Havasu City.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Paula K7PAX #1739

I got a Quickstik dipole mount and two pairs of Quickstiks (20 and 40m) from Quicksilver Radio. Hope to be able to tune the 40m pair to work 15m too. I will let you know how it works out! 

Paula

On Jan 29, 2019, at 12:54 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Paula-

What did you decide?  I for one will be very interested in hearing what you ended up with and how it works for you.  Please keep us posted!  Hoping to work you when you are in Lake Havasu City.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Rick - N7WE

Thanks Paula!  Not sure what you will have for a mounting arrangement, but I found this interesting youtube video on using them as a vertical dipole.  Never tried it myself, but might be an answer if you are on an upper floor with a balcony!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbQwLPVmG70  Good luck!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Paula K7PAX #1739

I borrowed a pushup fiberglass mast. 

Paula

On Jan 29, 2019, at 2:48 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Thanks Paula!  Not sure what you will have for a mounting arrangement, but I found this interesting youtube video on using them as a vertical dipole.  Never tried it myself, but might be an answer if you are on an upper floor with a balcony!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbQwLPVmG70  Good luck!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

Hi Paula,

Looks like your setup is what I have been using for my portable ops.  Have just used it on 20 mtrs since I only have one 40 mtr hamstick.  Has worked fairly well, but I have has some cases where I either could not use it do to the configuration of the timeshare we were staying in or a couple of them had nice porches, but with metal screens that could not be removed which acted like a big Faraday cage.  I am looking at one of the magnetic loop antenna since they are small and don't need much height.  Let us know how your portable operation works out. 

Dick - KC3EF