IOTA Activations

Rick - N7WE

Loren, Steve, and anyone else-
I'm a real newbie on the IOTA stuff.  My original intent was to just to put NA-076 on-air for 070 members since I was going to be on Cedar Key anyway.   It was such a bust, yet so much fun, that I'm now thinking about activating some of the remaining 9 Florida IOTA Groups.  But if I'm going to do that, I want to do it right so those chasing RSGB IOTAs (as opposed to just the 070 IOTAs) can get credit if they want it. But after reading everything on the IOTA website, I'm still not sure what I need to do. I'm not looking for Activator credits, but here are some of my questions (probably really dumb questions):

Does an activation of a previously activated group require pre-authorization by IOTA?
Do I have to make/send paper QSLs  - with a printed (not hand written) name of the island - specific to that activation in order for those I work to claim credit ?
Does uploading to ClubLog only do it for DXpedition activations?  It seems from the website that it works for any activation, but then it talks about paper cards required.
Does IOTA still only use paper cards for checking?  The website seems to suggest use of ClubLog, but I'm not clear.

Any guidance greatly appreciated!  (I get by with a little help from my friends!)

Stephen Melachrinos

Rick -

Good questions, and important if you want your contacts to be able to claim official IOTA credit.

1. I don't think ANY activation requires pre-authorization, but activation of very rare groups may require documentation (after-the-fact) to prove you actually were there and had authorization to operate. I don't think any Florida groups would qualify--may Dry Tortugas. I had no problem with any that I've activated, and that included VQ9 (which has restrictive travel requirements). I think the rule applies for islands like Bouvet, or Peter I, or that type of rare.

2. I'm pretty sure at this time, paper QSLs are required. (There might be an exception if you activate an island during an IOTA contest and submit--as the activator--your log). And I stated the rules of what has to be printed--the island name which has to be listed as a qualifying island in an island group. But these don't have to be commercially-printed--I've printed my own. In fact, I've printed a couple for some contacts I made with an activator who wasn't using IOTA-compliant cards. (I wanted the credit, printed a card for him to sign, and mailed it to him with an SASE. Of course, I pre-coordinated with him after he sent me one of those non-complying cards.) I think they will also accept the island information on the "QSO information sticker" that logging programs create.

3. I'm not familiar with how ClubLog confirmations work wrt IOTA.

4. I've only submitted paper cards to a checker.

[...]

Thought I heard that the new IOTA Group which took over from RSGB changed some requirements.  Haven’t really checked into that.  I do know that they are no longer publishing upcoming IOTA activations because I read that in various DX bulletins.   IOTA activations during IOTA contests do not require QSLs.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Loren McCullough - WA3WZR

For 070 endorsements, just let me know the dates and callsign of the activation at iota@... , and I will make not of it for future credit.

For RSGB IOTA, it is a bit more complicated.

 Here is what I can find from the IOTA website

Cards submitted for credit should show clearly the callsign used on the air and the island location at the time of the contact:
1) the callsign used for the operation must be printed (not handwritten or part hand-written),
2) the name of the island from which the operation took place must be printed (not handwritten) on the QSL card, as the IOTA Reference Number alone is not sufficient, and
3) the island name must be one that is recognized through its listing in the IOTA Directory
Cards with handwritten island names will never be acceptable and will be rejected.

DO  I  NEED  TO  TELL  YOU  MY  PLANS  IN  ADVANCE  OR CONTACT YOU AFTERWARDS?
No,  it  is  normally  not  necessary for  operations  from  routinely activated  groups  to  inform  us  in  advance.  Just let  the  DX bulletins   know   your   plans   so   that   they   can   publicise   the operation.  However,  this  said,  there  are occasions  when  you need to be in contact with us. If you plan to operate from a new, i.e. provisionally numbered, or rare IOTA group or a group which geography,  politics,  or  licensing  or  environmental  restrictions make  difficult to  access, contact  us  early  in the  planning  stage as there is a validation procedure you will need to follow for your operation  to  be  accepted  for  IOTA. For  these  you  will  need  to provide  supporting  documentation after  the  operation. For any operations,it  is  prudent  to  keep  travel  invoices,  ticket  stubs, permits   and   evidence   of   being   on   the   island   in   case   of subsequent challenge.

As far as cards vs. clublog,    cards are not required when using clublog matching.

My comments:

for your brief activation, I am not sure it is worth the effort to have those QSOs recognized by RSGB, and I am not sure who you would contact as it is after the fact.

I have used Clublog matching to get my RSGB IOTA certificate, their crediting goes something like this (The QSO in your log must match the activators log exactly)
- callsigns that can only map to a single island are counted automatically
- for all other IOTA groups, they list specific callsigns granted approval for that IOTA, and this list is updated periodically

Sample list:
AF-001 3B6RF
AF-002 Any from Amsterdam & St Paul Islands
AF-003 Any from Ascension Island
AF-004 Any from Canary Islands
AF-005 D44EE
AF-005 D44TEG
AF-045 6V1IS/P
NA-076 AA8LL/4
NA-076 K4KGG
NA-076 KC8PG/1F4
NA-076 W4/SP5APW
NA-076 W4DFU
NA-076 W4HY
NA-076 W9DC
NA-076 WW2PT

Loren McCullough - WA3WZR

that email address is "iota at podxs070 dot com"

Loren