Maidenhead Grid Map

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

I would like to share something I created in Excel.  It is a representation of the continental us using grid squares.  I use it to keep track of my PSK grid contacts.  I highlight the appropriate squares.  Not sure anyone is interested.  Let me know.  Not sure if I can attach the files but I will try.

A great New Year to all.
Bob KK6KMU

Stephen Horan <sjhoran@...>

Thanks. I was thinking of something similar today!

Steve, NM4SH

From: <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Robert Motyl <bobmotyl@...>
Reply-To: "070Club@groups.io" <070Club@groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 4:25 PM
To: "070Club@groups.io" <070Club@groups.io>
Subject: [070Club] Maidenhead Grid Map

I would like to share something I created in Excel.  It is a representation of the continental us using grid squares.  I use it to keep track of my PSK grid contacts.  I highlight the appropriate squares.  Not sure anyone is interested.  Let me know.  Not sure if I can attach the files but I will try.

A great New Year to all.
Bob KK6KMU

David, K9DWR

On Jan 2, 2019, at 15:29, Stephen Horan <sjhoran@hotmail.com> wrote:

Steve, NM4SH

From: <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Robert Motyl <bobmotyl@cox.net>

I would like to share something I created in Excel. It is a representation of the continental us using grid squares. I use it to keep track of my PSK grid contacts. I highlight the appropriate squares. Not sure anyone is interested. Let me know. Not sure if I can attach the files but I will try.

That’s a pretty cool visual way to track it. :-)

David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Jerry N9AVY

Bob:

Nice.  However, it show up as a read only file and can’t seem to color in squares I’ve worked.  Probably my fault as I’m not as well versed on Excel as I would like to be.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 3:25 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io

A great New Year to all.
Bob KK6KMU

Bob, that would be nice...Thanks in advance.
Milt
N6MG
070-650
LONP 76

-----Original Message-----
To: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Jan 2, 2019 1:29 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Maidenhead Grid Map

Steve, NM4SH

From: <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Robert Motyl <bobmotyl@...>
Reply-To: "070Club@groups.io" <070Club@groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 4:25 PM
To: "070Club@groups.io" <070Club@groups.io>

A great New Year to all.
Bob KK6KMU

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

I looked at the file Jerry and it is not read only protected.  Here is the file saved as a .xlzx format.

Bob KK6KMU

Jerry N9AVY

Bob:

Think the problem may be that I’m using Open Office and Excel may not be compatible.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:11 PM

I looked at the file Jerry and it is not read only protected.  Here is the file saved as a .xlzx format.

Bob KK6KMU

Jeff Steinkamp

Jerry, it opens fine in Libre Office, which is the replacement for Open Office.  The file is and Excel file that is XML formatted and the older Open Office will not read it.

here is the download for LibreOffice.  you will want the version 6.0.7

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

Jerry N9AVY wrote on 1/2/2019 17:43:

Bob:

Think the problem may be that I’m using Open Office and Excel may not be compatible.

Jerry  n9avy

Bob KK6KMU

--
Jeff K. Steinkamp (N7YG)
Tucson, AZ
Scud Missile Coordinates
N32.2319 W110.8477

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Jerry - Try LibreOffice. That is compatible and it is also free.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Jan 2, 2019, at 7:43 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Bob:

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:11 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Maidenhead Grid Map

Bob KK6KMU

<F9201D0EE0B84F328C581A2EA5AD40AA.png>

All I can think of to say is...

"In the Land of the Blind...The man with one eye is King!"

W6QP

-----Original Message-----
To: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Jan 2, 2019 4:43 pm

Bob:

Jerry  n9avy

Bob KK6KMU

Don Bolstad K9DEB

I created something similar, also using Excel. Attached is PDF of screen printout. 
Used QSO log data from my N3FJP ACL log file.  
Kept track of grids Worked and Confirmed by utilizing conditional formatting.  
Can sort on Band, Mode and Month.
Takes a little effort to use, but was very handy for last years ARRL Grid Chase.

Don K9DEB

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>

Bob,
Thank you. I was able to open the file and color my worked Grids with a green background. It is a great visual aid and will be a big help in (hopefuly) completing the Grid chase.
I have a question for all you computer gurus. Is there a way to bounce the 070 member list against the QRZ database? If so, can the Grid data in QRZ be added to each member's row in the 070 member list?
Paul NU4C 

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/2/19 16:25 (GMT-05:00)

A great New Year to all.
Bob KK6KMU

Matthew King - AK4MK

Paul - while that would be nice to have, it'd have to be updated every day (or night) in order to remain current.  QRZ discourages such regular automated things as it ties up their query systems. 

Other attempts to automatically query the QRZ database have been only semi-successful, with random errors and lack of information returned being the big two things, with neither rhyme nor reason being evident. 

Besides that, some of the grid information in QRZ is inaccurate, as it's derived through geo-location rather than user supplied information.

Sorry for the less than encouraging response...

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 11:51 AM Paul Milward <nu4c@...> wrote:
Bob,
Thank you. I was able to open the file and color my worked Grids with a green background. It is a great visual aid and will be a big help in (hopefuly) completing the Grid chase.
I have a question for all you computer gurus. Is there a way to bounce the 070 member list against the QRZ database? If so, can the Grid data in QRZ be added to each member's row in the 070 member list?
Paul NU4C 

A great New Year to all.
Bob KK6KMU

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>

Thanks Matt, Now I know so I'll just keep on keepin' on.
Paul NU4C 

Date: 1/5/19 12:01 (GMT-05:00)

Paul - while that would be nice to have, it'd have to be updated every day (or night) in order to remain current.  QRZ discourages such regular automated things as it ties up their query systems. 

Other attempts to automatically query the QRZ database have been only semi-successful, with random errors and lack of information returned being the big two things, with neither rhyme nor reason being evident. 

Besides that, some of the grid information in QRZ is inaccurate, as it's derived through geo-location rather than user supplied information.

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708

Bob,
Paul NU4C 

A great New Year to all.
Bob KK6KMU

Jerry N9AVY

Also, people move and while they change their addresses, the grid sometimes don’t change  or if they enter the grid it is sometimes in error.  Don’t trust QRZ  too much.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2019 11:01 AM

Matt King

AK4MK - 070 #1708

Bob,

Paul NU4C 

A great New Year to all.
Bob KK6KMU

Rick - N7WE

Thank you Bob!  That must have taken a lot of work.  It's really useful.  I had been using colored pencil on a printout of the ARRL FFMA map.  Your method is WAY better.

070 does Grid Endorsement slightly different than ARRL FFMA.  This from the Endorsement page:

"We took the ARRL FFMA map and excluded the following (nearly all water or VE/XE): CM79 CM86 CM93 CM94 CN70 CN72 CN73 CN74 CN75 CN76 CN77 CN78 DL79 DL98 DM02 DM03 DM12 DM22 DM31 DM61 EL15 EL28 EL58 EL79 EL84 EL86 EN29 EN48 EN57 EN58 EN62 EN63 EN64 EN67 EN85 EN86 EN92 FM02 FM13 FM25 FM26 FM27 FN03 FN14 FN25 FN35 FN46 FN51 FN53 FN57 FN66 FN67"

I added red fill to the 070 excluded grids on your XLS master.  A copy is attached.  Thanks again for a very nice contribution for all of us chasing the 070 Grids Endorsements.

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jerry N9AVY

Like to add my thanks as well !   Just printed it out.  Looks good.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2019 5:30 AM

Thank you Bob!  That must have taken a lot of work.  It's really useful.  I had been using colored pencil on a printout of the ARRL FFMA map.  Your method is WAY better.

070 does Grid Endorsement slightly different than ARRL FFMA.  This from the Endorsement page:

"We took the ARRL FFMA map and excluded the following (nearly all water or VE/XE): CM79 CM86 CM93 CM94 CN70 CN72 CN73 CN74 CN75 CN76 CN77 CN78 DL79 DL98 DM02 DM03 DM12 DM22 DM31 DM61 EL15 EL28 EL58 EL79 EL84 EL86 EN29 EN48 EN57 EN58 EN62 EN63 EN64 EN67 EN85 EN86 EN92 FM02 FM13 FM25 FM26 FM27 FN03 FN14 FN25 FN35 FN46 FN51 FN53 FN57 FN66 FN67"

I added red fill to the 070 excluded grids on your XLS master.  A copy is attached.  Thanks again for a very nice contribution for all of us chasing the 070 Grids Endorsements.

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602