Topics

Possible IOTA Activation

Rick - N7WE

Anyone chasing IOTAs and need NA-076 Florida State North West Group?  Plans right now look like I will be on Cedar Key briefly on Thursday Jan 3 and could activate it if there is interest.  I could do 20m or 40m - PSK31 only.  Could probably be on no more than 1 hour beginning somewhere around 1800 UTC and won't have internet.  Let me know if you are interested and that time slot works for you.  Otherwise I'll just do the quick trip and leave the rig home.  Tnx and Happy New Year to all!

Rick:

Nope, already worked W4HY back in 2002.

Thanks.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Anyone chasing IOTAs and need NA-076 Florida State North West Group?  Plans right now look like I will be on Cedar Key briefly on Thursday Jan 3 and could activate it if there is interest.  I could do 20m or 40m - PSK31 only.  Could probably be on no more than 1 hour beginning somewhere around 1800 UTC and won't have internet.  Let me know if you are interested and that time slot works for you.  Otherwise I'll just do the quick trip and leave the rig home.  Tnx and Happy New Year to all!

Loren McCullough - WA3WZR

I see only 4 members with NA-076 credit for the IOTA endorsement (Jerry, that does not include you, the IOTA endorsement is only valid for QSOs from 2009 on).  I say go for it.

Loren - WA3WZR

Jerry N9AVY

Loren :

I work IOTAs where I find them.  That activation I worked was on SSB in 2002.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Just looking at a map and wondering how Cedar Key qualifies as an IOTA
when it has a permanent bridge to the mainland?
Maybe I don't understand IOTA rules.
HNY de Barry

Justin Mattes--KC2GIK

If that's the case then Cape May qualifies too!

Justin, KC2GIK

- 73 and good DX de Mike, <http://www.qrz.com/db/k6mkf/>; K6MKF, Past
President - <http://ncdxc.org/index.html>; NCDXC

--

Justin Mattes-KC2GIK
http://www.justinmattes.com

VA7GEM -1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Justin
Cape May is inside the boundary of NA-111 but is not listed.
HNY
Barry

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:28 AM, Justin Mattes--KC2GIK wrote:
If that's the case then Cape May qualifies too!

Justin, KC2GIK
I suppose having a bridge to it doesn’t violate the definition of an
island as a body of land completely surrounded by water …

- 73 and good DX de Mike, <http://www.qrz.com/db/k6mkf/> K6MKF, Past
President - <http://ncdxc.org/index.html> NCDXC

Just looking at a map and wondering how Cedar Key qualifies as an IOTA
when it has a permanent bridge to the mainland?
Maybe I don't understand IOTA rules.
HNY de Barry

--

Justin Mattes-KC2GIK
http://www.justinmattes.com

Matthew King - AK4MK

Oops, you're right, Paul - I meant *Staten* Island which is specifically excluded from NA-026.

Sorry for the confusion...

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 2:08 PM Paul Milward <nu4c@...> wrote:
Long Island NY is IOTA NA-026

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

Just looking at a map and wondering how Cedar Key qualifies as an IOTA
when it has a permanent bridge to the mainland?
Maybe I don't understand IOTA rules.
HNY de Barry

Jerry N9AVY

Of course, I was right !  Have worked numerous stations on Long Island all claiming NA-026. What’s more Geoff Watts, the originator of the IOTA program (an SWL) , was a personal friend back in the 70’s before he passed.

Still have an actual IOTA guidebook around here some place.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Just looking at a map and wondering how Cedar Key qualifies as an IOTA
when it has a permanent bridge to the mainland?
Maybe I don't understand IOTA rules.
HNY de Barry

Rick - N7WE

OK...I'm going to go for it!  NA-076.  Will try to be on 20m somewhere around 1800 UTC.  I'll be using N7WE/P as my call.  If you see me, pls spot me here on the group as I will not have internet.

Never done a IOTA Activation before, and have never been to Cedar Key, so this will be a double first for me.  Hope I can find a good spot.  Not sure how much time I'll have or how long the computer battery will last - but planning on having a hoot!  Wish me luck and hope to work you tomorrow from the Key!

Stephen Melachrinos

I think there are two things in play here.

- One is the minimum distance requirement. IOTA rules require a minimum distance of 200 meters from the mainland at low tide. My reading of Google Maps shows some of the distances as appearing less than the 500-foot indicator in the map legend. 200 meters is 656 feet, so 500 feet is much less than 200 meters.

- Secondly, the water in question is identified as the Cape May Canal. This is a man-made waterway, constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers during World War II. I think the concept of a canal means that Cape May (and the surrounding area) would be considered part of the mainland, and not an island.

Just looking at a map and wondering how Cedar Key qualifies as an IOTA
when it has a permanent bridge to the mainland?
Maybe I don't understand IOTA rules.
HNY de Barry

--

Justin Mattes-KC2GIK
http://www.justinmattes.com

Stephen Melachrinos

Barry -

The presence of a man-made bridge does not violate IOTA rules. (There's no rule that says that the only access can be by sea or air.)

A natural land bridge does (violate the rules).

Just looking at a map and wondering how Cedar Key qualifies as an IOTA
when it has a permanent bridge to the mainland?
Maybe I don't understand IOTA rules.
HNY de Barry

VA7GEM -1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Rick
My alarm is set for 1800Z on Thur Jan03/19
GL de Barry

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 01:24 PM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
OK...I'm going to go for it!  NA-076.  Will try to be on 20m somewhere around 1800 UTC.  I'll be using N7WE/P as my call.  If you see me, pls spot me here on the group as I will not have internet.

Never done a IOTA Activation before, and have never been to Cedar Key, so this will be a double first for me.  Hope I can find a good spot.  Not sure how much time I'll have or how long the computer battery will last - but planning on having a hoot!  Wish me luck and hope to work you tomorrow from the Key!

I'm thinking that the only thing that really matters is whether it's on the "RSGB IOTA Entity List".
There's all kinds of unusual "entities", just as they're on the DXCC Country List.
Anyway, it's interesting reading...
Milt.
N6MG
070-650