KC3EF 10/26/18 Report

Richard Rohrer

Today was a busy day for grid hunting/providing.  Worked Barry, Matt, and Rick in all four grids today.  When I saw the email from Barry that he need DN80 and that it was not very far off the direction of travel, the XYL said we could make a course change.  Went to Julesburg, CO and gave out the grid to several.  We had not worked Barry as of yet, so the XYL after seeing the email about favorable direction for the mini-van antenna was looking to park in a direction that would favor Barry.  Finally worked him and then Rick appeared just when I was going to shut down for lunch.  

Hit the road again and did not work much until DN91 and then had a quick trip thru DN90. 

Propagation did not favor the mid-West so did not see Jerry, N9AVY or Peter, NN9K who I worked several times yesterday.

Grids for tomorrow are:  EN00, EN10, EN20, EN29, EN39, EN38 and EN37.  Heading from Grand Island, NE to Springfield, MO.  I plan on call from each grid, since I have decided to keep track of every grid I have made a contact from, so I can see how many grids I have activated.  

The XYL and I have had fun activating the grids and she gets very concerned when we miss one of the regulars.  Planning March/April trip along the South Texas coast to Big Bend and various parts of Louisiana.  Also planning a Fall trip to Park City UT then to Las Vegas, NV and then down to NM again.  If there are needed grids in these area let me know and we will see if they fit the travel plans. 

Dick - KC3EF

Stephen Melachrinos

Dick -

I'm disappointed that my work schedule has prevented me from working you in most of the grids. I'm glad you were able to work so many others.

Regarding tomorrow, I'm guessing you were on an "EN roll", because I suspect that you are moving from the EN field to the EM field when you leave EN20. (EN20 is not adjacent to EN29, and your original email announcement had all the rest of your grids as EMs.)

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: 070Club <070Club@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Oct 26, 2018 9:51 pm
Subject: [070Club] KC3EF 10/26/18 Report

Grids for tomorrow are:  EN00, EN10, EN20, EN29, EN39, EN38 and EN37.  Heading from Grand Island, NE to Springfield, MO.  I plan on call from each grid, since I have decided to keep track of every grid I have made a contact from, so I can see how many grids I have activated.  

Richard Rohrer

Hi Steve,

You are right I missed the DN/DM grid change.  Guess I need my glasses changed, hi hi.  Sorry did not get to QSO with you on this trip.

Dick -KC3EF

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018, 9:03 PM Stephen Melachrinos <melachri@...> wrote:
Dick -

I'm disappointed that my work schedule has prevented me from working you in most of the grids. I'm glad you were able to work so many others.

Regarding tomorrow, I'm guessing you were on an "EN roll", because I suspect that you are moving from the EN field to the EM field when you leave EN20. (EN20 is not adjacent to EN29, and your original email announcement had all the rest of your grids as EMs.)

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: 070Club <070Club@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Oct 26, 2018 9:51 pm
Subject: [070Club] KC3EF 10/26/18 Report

VA7GEM -1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Dick
TVM for the summary.
A really big thank you to Kathy for amending her vacation to follow my whims.
It is so nice to travel vicariously. I keep google earth open and follow the van
almost mile by mile. Just like having a GPS tracker running. I get to see the
same scenery as Dick & Kathy.

Only tip I have for grid hunters today is to watch for EN20. If the travellers take S34
from Nebraska City to Auburn they will be in NE for a short time. If Kathy jumps the river
at Nebraska City to get on I29 to head south the stay in EN20 in NE will be a VERY short
time before becoming MO. This would be a good opportunity to pickup the grid in both states.
Hope you enjoy your day today. 
Barry

Richard Rohrer

Barry,

We are going to Beatrice, NE and heading across on us136 which I believe does the same thing.

Dick

On Oct 27, 2018 9:09 AM, "VA7GEM -1470 via Groups.Io" <boat.anchor=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Dick
TVM for the summary.
A really big thank you to Kathy for amending her vacation to follow my whims.
It is so nice to travel vicariously. I keep google earth open and follow the van
almost mile by mile. Just like having a GPS tracker running. I get to see the
same scenery as Dick & Kathy.

Only tip I have for grid hunters today is to watch for EN20. If the travellers take S34
from Nebraska City to Auburn they will be in NE for a short time. If Kathy jumps the river
at Nebraska City to get on I29 to head south the stay in EN20 in NE will be a VERY short
time before becoming MO. This would be a good opportunity to pickup the grid in both states.
Hope you enjoy your day today. 
Barry

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 07:16 AM, Richard Rohrer wrote:
Barry,

We are going to Beatrice, NE and heading across on us136 which I believe does the same thing.

Dick

Dick
FB I have ur route plotted now. Yes by following 136 from Beatrice, NE to Rockport, MO (I29)
the same opportunity will be available.
Watching for your start.
Barry

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 07:42 AM, VA7GEM -1470 wrote:
Barry,

Dick

Dick
FB I have ur route plotted now. Yes by following 136 from Beatrice, NE to Rockport, MO (I29)
Watching for your start.
Barry
EN20 in NE will be available for 18 miles so will have to be alert.
Barry

Richard Rohrer

Just leaving Beatric so it will be a bit before we hit the boundry.  Will probably fire up in DN10.

Dick

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018, 9:49 AM VA7GEM -1470 via Groups.Io <boat.anchor=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Barry,

Dick

Dick
Watching for your start.
Barry
Barry

Richard Rohrer

Stopping for lunch in Tecumseh,Ne then will get on the air.

Dick

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018, 11:53 AM Richard Rohrer <kc3ef1@...> wrote:
Just leaving Beatric so it will be a bit before we hit the boundry.  Will probably fire up in DN10.

Dick

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018, 9:49 AM VA7GEM -1470 via Groups.Io <boat.anchor=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Barry,

Dick

Dick
Watching for your start.
Barry
Barry

Dick
I am watching but band is so bad I am not hopeful
Barry

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>

I just worked Dick in EN10
he is at 14071.150 +/-
GL 73 de
NU4C 

To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] KC3EF 10/26/18 Report

Dick
Barry

Jerry N9AVY

Could see Paul working, but could only get bits & pieces from Dick’s xmsn – like at best was RSQ226. Tried calling a few times, but never saw an answer.   Signal is barely showing up on Waterfall and then drops out.  Probably won’t get decent copy of Dick until he’s back in FL.   Nuts .  S-7 noise level no help either.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 12:58 PM

I just worked Dick in EN10

he is at 14071.150 +/-

GL 73 de

NU4C 

Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 1:35 PM

Dick
Barry

Jerry
Hang in there
Dick comes and goes and not vy strong at all
U were booming in here
Barry

Jerry N9AVY

Barry:

Hung in there for a couple hours or more and never saw him again.    Only got one needed grid from Dick … um, maybe he should repeat this trip again 😊   … just kidding !!!   

Jerry  n9avy

Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 1:30 PM

Jerry
Hang in there
U were booming in here
Barry

Richard Rohrer

Hi Jerry,

If you want to pay for it would be glad to, hi hi.

We seem to be going out West at least once a year so stay tuned.

Propagation did not favor the mid-West again.  Most of the station worked were in the South.

Dick – KC3EF

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jerry N9AVY
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 5:48 PM

Barry:

Hung in there for a couple hours or more and never saw him again.    Only got one needed grid from Dick … um, maybe he should repeat this trip again 😊   … just kidding !!!   

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry
Hang in there
U were booming in here
Barry

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

If I were a billionaire I would certainly finance your expedition to western grids.  It is a very worthwhile effort and I believe everyone one is grateful for these rare, semi-rare grids.   Hope you and XYL have had lots of fun along the way ! 

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry  n9avy

Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 9:00 PM

Hi Jerry,

Propagation did not favor the mid-West again.  Most of the station worked were in the South.

Dick – KC3EF

Barry:

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry
Hang in there
U were booming in here
Barry

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 09:07 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Dick:

If I were a billionaire I would certainly finance your expedition to western grids.  It is a very worthwhile effort and I believe everyone one is grateful for these rare, semi-rare grids.   Hope you and XYL have had lots of fun along the way ! 

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry
If someone would set up a Go Fund Me page for Dick's gasoline I sure would contribute.
Barry

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I would observe that the idea of group financing of grid expeditions is not really very different from the idea of group financing of dx expeditions.

And I would kick in, too.  I’ve been too busy with other things to play the grid chase game but it’s been a real delight for me to watch from the sidelines as everyone has coordinated on Dick’s excursion.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Oct 28, 2018, at 8:02 AM, VA7GEM -1470 via Groups.Io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

Dick:

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry
If someone would set up a Go Fund Me page for Dick's gasoline I sure would contribute.
Barry

Richard Rohrer

Hi Jerry,

The XYL wanted to know if you purchase a ticket??? Then there would not be problem, hi hi.

Dick

Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2018 12:08 AM

Dick:

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry  n9avy

Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 9:00 PM

Hi Jerry,

Dick – KC3EF

Barry:

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry
Hang in there
U were booming in here
Barry

Richard Rohrer

Hi Barry,

That is a kind thought, but not necessary.  I just operate as we go along on planned and sometimes unplanned routes, hi hi.  We usually travel to see interesting things and if we hit some rare grids along the way, so much the better.

Dick – KC3EF

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of VA7GEM -1470 via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2018 11:02 AM

Dick:

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry
Barry