2m & 70cm Repeater question...

W7RIV

I know this is slightly off topic, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I was curious what the difference was in "Tone" and "CTCSS" when programming a handietalkie. There are local repeaters here in Salt Lake City, and I think people use them interchangeably. The Frequency coordinator calls out at CTCSS, but I think I've programmed my radio when it shows the "Tone"...I cannot remember if I've programmed it when it shows "CT"

Thanks,
Bryon, W7RIV

Matthew King - AK4MK

Hey, Bryon - there is no difference. CTCSS is the technical name for it.

"PL Tone" was Motorola's trademark for "Private Line Tone", but it's all the same.

Carry on, sir! :-)

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:22 AM W7RIV <nnegrom@...> wrote:
I know this is slightly off topic, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I was curious what the difference was in "Tone" and "CTCSS" when programming a handietalkie. There are local repeaters here in Salt Lake City, and I think people use them interchangeably. The Frequency coordinator calls out at CTCSS, but I think I've programmed my radio when it shows the "Tone"...I cannot remember if I've programmed it when it shows "CT"

Thanks,
Bryon, W7RIV

W7RIV

Thanks. Any idea why my radio has Tone and CTCSS options? It is a Kenwood TH-D72a.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:35 AM Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
[...]

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

There are two common systems of coding to control squelch: CTCSS “Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System” (also called PL by some manufacturers) and DCS “Digital Coded Squelch”.  On a fair number of VHF/UHF radios, there’s a button labeled ‘tone’ which cycles the transmitter through CTCSS, DCS, and nothing.

To say that the terminology surrounding all of this is opaque and confusing would be a massive understatement.

The wikipedia articles for CTCSS and DCS actually do a decent job of shedding some light on all this mess.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Oct 8, 2018, at 8:43 AM, W7RIV <nnegrom@...> wrote:

[...]

This is what I see about your radio:

- 42 CTCSS frequencies

- 104 DCS (Digital Code Squelch) codes
- Cross-tone

The first two are pretty well what Paul said. The 3rd one is probably where it's capable of transmitting one tone but listening for a different tone on the same channel.

Hope that helps!

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:43 AM W7RIV <nnegrom@...> wrote:
[...]

Jerry N9AVY

PL or Private Line is copyright by Motorola just as GE uses Channel Guard. It’s al same thing : CTCSS or Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System.

The “tone’ on radios as opposed to CTCSS is actually a tone burst used to unlock a repeater. Although on some radios I’ve heard that CTCSS and Tone may be reversed.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Thanks, Jerry, for reminding me of the tone burst.

I didn't think about it since it's primarily a European thing these days.  I guess there's some US repeaters using it, but none around here.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks everyone for the input. It is something I would like to use more of just so I can mess around with the radio even when I'm not at home! I'm also registering my Jeep with a local Emergency Recovery Team and they have a new repeater, part of this has to deal with helping others understand it more as well. =)

Thanks again,
Bryon, W7RIV

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:59 AM Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
[...]

Tone burst is pretty much a thing of the past like 2m AM.  Think tone burst was used in early days on VHF/UHF because much of equipment available was discontinued commercial stuff which manufacturers sold rather than scrapping it.  Those units probably had tone burst because they were put into service before PL was invented.  After that the next generation was surplus Motorola equipment which operated on P25 and such.

BTW, here in Chicago area, Motorola equipment was heavily in to ham radio use because many hams worked for Motorola at one time or another. That pretty much went by the wayside after Motorola started selling off various divisions over the years and yesterday I read where Motorola is tearing down their Schaumburg campus.

Early history of ham radio is interesting when you can find it.  When the likes of Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom (formerly Inoue) came on the scene things changes rapidly going from crystal controlled radios to synthesized radios with all kinds of “bells & whistles”.  It’s nice to know how we started out compared to what we have today.   As the old ad said many years ago, “You’ve come a long way baby !”.

[...]

K8TOM

I know that I have to use DTMF to control our repeater functions for net operations, such as cross-band link and so forth.  I would guess that is unrelated to the CTCSS, DCS family but is also referred to as a "tone".  Since my Icom 706Mkiig radio does not have DTMF capability, I had to find an "app" for that.  I hold the mike up to the speaker and press the "buttons" on the screen to make it happen.   That is a test of my co-ordination, HI.

Tom
K8TOM

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>

Many repeaters require the correct CTCSS/tone on the repeater input frequency. If repeater does NOT hear the correct tone your transmission is rejected.
Some repeaters also have a CTCSS/tone on the repeater output frequency. This can help avoid interference in a location where your radio might receive co-channel repeaters.
Your radio will receive the signal only if the correct tone is enabled on your radio.
The normal convention is to ENCODE the CTCSS/tone on your output/transmit frequency and to DECODE the CTCSS/tone on your input/receive frequency
73
Paul NU4C

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

I know that I have to use DTMF to control our repeater functions for net operations, such as cross-band link and so forth.  I would guess that is unrelated to the CTCSS, DCS family but is also referred to as a "tone".  Since my Icom 706Mkiig radio does not have DTMF capability, I had to find an "app" for that.  I hold the mike up to the speaker and press the "buttons" on the screen to make it happen.   That is a test of my co-ordination, HI.

Tom
K8TOM

Brian (N2MLP)

This is getting funny to read