Proposed Shutdown of NIST's WWV and WWVH Radio Stations

Daryl

Two petitions have been started on the White House's "We the People" petition site calling for restoration of funding for these two essential radio stations.
Each needs at least 100,000 electronic signatures by mid-September to generate a response from the White House.

The petitions can be found at:

David M (AJ4TF)

Those petitions will have no effect. Your time is better spent writing to your Congressional delegation.  Congress ultimately controls appropriations.
73, David AJ4TF #1479

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

David is exactly right. And quite frankly, the utility of WWV and WWVH is extremely limited at this point in time. There are numerous other sources for standard time and propagation data.

As a guy who has been a ham for over 43 years, I’ll certainly miss the sound of WWV on the air, but I’m not sure that the utility of those stations is worth $6.3M in taxpayer funding.

Mike
WM4B

From: "David M (AJ4TF)" <aj4tf@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io

My read of the proposed budget from NIST's web site includes shutting down WWVB... It is included in "radio stations in Colorado".

David M (AJ4TF)

WWV and WWVB are co-located at the same site, in the same facilities.   Do you have other information that supports the assertion that the proposed FY19 budget does NOT include shutdown of WWVB?

Irv [K3IRV] McWherter

There was a time when the time tics from WWV & WWVH were critical to the U.S. Military communications, and other elements.  Those days are way behind us with many of the military needs for time, etc being satisfied by GPS type systems.

For you the user who are used to listening to the WWV and WWVH time tics, the capability will still be there just not over your HF rig.  The United States Naval Observatory Master Clock can be found at: https://tycho.usno.navy.mil/what.html  NIST time can be found at: https://timegov.nist.gov/

How accurate is your computer clock: https://time.is/

There are literally millions of us with watches, clocks, etc that are dependent upon WWVB for clock accuracy.  I cannot see NIST doing away with WWVB.

It's time to listen and submit those SWL requests.

73, Irv - K3IRV
No. 2600

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 2:22 PM David M (AJ4TF) <aj4tf@...> wrote:
WWV and WWVB are co-located at the same site, in the same facilities.   Do you have other information that supports the assertion that the proposed FY19 budget does NOT include shutdown of WWVB?

Stephen Melachrinos

Irv -

I'd like to believe that WWVB will survive--my station clock is a WWVB receiver, and my dad has a watch that syncs to WWVB--but NPR (or at least one guest on an NPR show) apparently thinks that WWVB is on the closure list:

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/25/641835302/what-closing-a-government-radio-station-would-mean-for-your-clocks