From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Date: 6/28/18 08:08 (GMT-05:00)
To: 070Club <070club@groups.io>
Subject: [070Club] Wow EQSL !

Checked my Eqsl (which I do daily) this morning and found 51 confirmations !    50 were from NU4C... Thanks Paul !   Better late than never.  Assumed all were correct so just checked them off.

From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Date: 6/28/18 08:08 (GMT-05:00)
To: 070Club <070club@groups.io>

Checked my Eqsl (which I do daily) this morning and found 51 confirmations !    50 were from NU4C... Thanks Paul !   Better late than never.  Assumed all were correct so just checked them off.

Jerry N9AVY

Ray Clements

One thing I like about HRD is that it uploads to eQSL automatically when I log the QSO. Unfortunately, due to the requirements of LoTW/TQSL, you have to upload manually....bummer. Thus, that only happens when I have enough new contacts to make the process worthwhile. I need to upload the contacts I made on FD.

Ray N9RWC

From: "Jerry N9AVY" <n9avy@...>
To: "070Club@groups.io" <070Club@groups.io>

Checked my Eqsl (which I do daily) this morning and found 51 confirmations !    50 were from NU4C... Thanks Paul !   Better late than never.  Assumed all were correct so just checked them off.

Jerry N9AVY

Geary McDowell

HI HI I hate to admit it, but I am way behind.  When only working PSK and voice I would usually check eQsl daily too.  With FT8 I don't go there often now and last week I was over the limit, which is 2000, and they all could not display.  I got about 600 confirmed and clearer out.  I need to spend a day just to catch up on that.  And I am still fighting QSL cards trying to get caught up and making changes in my log when I receive a card.  Had hoped to be caught up by July 1, but with the back issues and not being able to sit long that is not happening, but I am close!  So Jerry, I bet you never let your eQsls get out of hand like I did.  HI HI
73 Geary KE5IRK #1787

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 7:08 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Checked my Eqsl (which I do daily) this morning and found 51 confirmations !    50 were from NU4C... Thanks Paul !   Better late than never.  Assumed all were correct so just checked them off.

Geary :

Wanna bet ?    I let my QSL chores get way out of hand several years ago. It took about a month or so to catch up and I vowed no radio until I was caught up. Ouch !

The big problem with letting QSLing get way behind is that you may never get some confirmations because some hams may become SK while you're procrastinating...  lost one African country on PSK31 that way !

The best way to do it is when you set aside a time for QSLing or do it as you work stations.  That way you don't end up with an overwhelming mountain of QSLs.

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>

I just tried to balance/confirm my eQsl log. Now I remember why I stopped using eQsl.  A whole lot of work for very little reward. So......back in hibernation mode for eQsl
73
Nu4c

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

[...]

If you only upload every few months (or years), it is going to take a lot of work to reconcile everything. I upload after every contact. I download from eQSL every time I upload to LoTW. Every now and then I will download something from eQSL that is not in my log. In most cases, it is a SWL request for confirmation of a contact I made with someone else and I can honor that request.  I only get a few bogus records each year, so reconciliation is easy.

N9RWC

[...]

Little reward ?  Yep. but sometimes I find DX stations who only use Eqsl.  I would prefer LoTW, but we can't always get what we want.

Jerry  N9AVY

[...]

HI HI HI Jerry, I do work on QSL cards as I made a mess when I started FT8 and had the QSL box checked back in Dec, I am finally caught up on those, I hope, I was hitting about 1200 contacts a month for a while.  The paper I can work on while working stations on FT8 AND the good one PSK, but eQsl is more difficult for my even with my multiple wx team screens.  HI HI  That is my excuse.
73 and have a great weekend everyone, Geary KE5IRK

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 9:40 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
[...]

Stephen Melachrinos

Regarding: [eQSLs provide] "little reward"

I guess it depends on what you want.

eQSL provides:

- a free online QSL experience that is easier to use than LoTW
- QSLs that are generally faster than paper QSLs
- confirmation of QSOs from some stations that don't use any other method
- QSLs that can apply to awards from CQ, TARA, WIA, DARC, and a number of other organization including our own 070 club (for the one confirmed QSO)

eQSL is probably NOT for you if:

- you don't like electronic QSLs at all, or
- your only award interests are ARRL (like DXCC), RSGB, or awards that don't need any QSLs at all
- you don't care about confirming QSOs via any method
- you don't care about helping other hams who fit into the categories listed in the "eQSL provides" list above.

Note that I am not trying to start an argument here. Each person is free to have their own opinion, and should make their own decision based on their own situation and interests. I just want to point out that one person's decision shouldn't be interpreted as either a recommendation or a condemnation of others' opinions/decisions.

Steve:

Had this been posted to Facebook , you would have had about 100 replies calling you every name under the sun and possibly some threats on your life.  Aren't you glad this is not Facebook ???

Started out putting stuff on Eqsl to help others out.  Same thing with LoTW and Bureau cards.

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Jerry -

That's one of the reasons I don't do FB. I'm probably too pragmatic and blunt to survive there. (Occupational hazard of being an engineer.)

[...]

Yep, FB is getting to be a dangerous place.

Jerry n9avy

[...]

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Well stated Steve — I agree —

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Jun 28, 2018, at 11:00 PM, Stephen Melachrinos <melachri@...> wrote:

[...]

eQSL does have a reward system. I have found it more difficult to confirm contacts on eQSL than on LoTW. For example, I got my WAS on LoTW a few months before I was able to do so on eQSL. For the ARRL award, I only got a printed certificate that I keep in a drawer somewhere. When I completed WAS on eQSL, I ordered a nice walnut plaque carved in the shape of the lower 48 states. Some would consider the ARRL award to be more prestigious than the eQSL one. However, since it was more difficult confirming the eQSL contacts, I am more proud of achieving the eQSL award. The eQSL plaque is proudly displayed.

I am still trying to achieve DXCC. I have confirmed 96 DX entities on LoTW. For the  eQSL eDX100 award, I have 91 eQSL confirmations, but only 87 of those are Authenticity Guaranteed and count toward the award. Thus, it is likely that I will achieve the DXCC award much sooner than I will get eDX100. Although DXCC has a higher name recognition, if I ever achieve eDX100, I will be quite proud of the accomplishment.

eQSL also has a variety of other awards for working Canada, Australia, Japan, CQ zones, call sign prefixes, etc.  This is similar to some of the 070 awards.

Ray N9RWC

[...]

tHE ONE THING i HAVE FOUND WITH eQSL VS

[...]

The problem I have with Eqsl is that my ARRL DXCC is  credited with 337 countries while Eqsl only has credits for 194 countries.  Also, Eqsl says I have 51 States for WAS and we all learned in school that DC is not a state, but a District. Never applied for any Eqsl awards even though I'm listed as AG.

As Steve so eloquently stated, to each his own.

I wasn't aware that Eqsl had plaques. I know ARRL has one for achieving DXCC Honor Roll (340 DXCC) , but I wasn't about to shell out $60-80 for another "dust collector".  My original DXCC certificate fell off the wall a few years ago and there was glass all over; so I put it in a drawer. Have been slowly taking certificates off the wall trying to eliminate dust collectors, hi !

Never was a big award chaser and that is why I don't have all the ARRL certificates I'm entitled to. Was a big time paper chaser with 10-10 Net back in the 80's & 90's, but most of that is gone now, but it was fun while it was there.

Am sure there are many who enjoy chasing awards and that's okay. As I said, I enjoy helping out others who may need a QSL in any form for awards.

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Steve,
TU for your reasonable and responsible statement. I have no recommendation either for or against eQsl. I do, however, use and recommend LoTW.  Setup can be confusing but ARRL LoTW Desk is helpful and many times  a local Ham will assist setup Most logging programs make uploading and matching easy. Just set and forget in your logging program.

Due to the length of time I was inattentive to eQsl I had thousands of QSLs added to my inbox that I will reconcile over time, 6 months maybe more. My upload is current as of 6/25/18
I am not as active as I was, usually only 100-150 Qs per month. So to help other Hams I will upload periodically (monthly/bi-monthly) after reconcilliation is complete.
73
Paul NU4C

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A