20M

Jim K5SP

Band is horrible here, have a S9 noise, sounds like someone arc welding.  Seeing very few traces, and only copy for a couple mins then they are gone..gone. 

Been calling CQ for hours, and only a few takers.  Is my antenna still good?

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director

You ain't alone old timer!
I saw you briefly up above .0720 for a bit, but you were jumping modes with somebody.
The Sovereign State of Mississippi is as far East as I've worked. 
It'll be interesting to see how our big guns are doing too.
Milt.
N6MG

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Apr 3, 2021 12:46 pm
Subject: [070Club] 20M

Band is horrible here, have a S9 noise, sounds like someone arc welding.  Seeing very few traces, and only copy for a couple mins then they are gone..gone. 

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

I saw you briefly up above .0720 for a bit, but you were jumping modes with somebody.
Milt.
N6MG

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

stephen shearer

I am using the PSK31 built into my KX3 and using a PX3 display and macro "generator" .

I am coping IL and FL but have also seen K5SP.  Not a lot of noise (S1 with preamp off).  Vertical R8 and 80m loop antenna. 
I have only made a few QSO's with FL as "this" is mostly a debug process to play with the built in PSK mode.

73, steve WB3LGC

On 4/3/21 3:59 PM, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io wrote:
Milt.
N6MG

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Barry VA7GEM

Well that completes 12hrs here with no contacts.
PSK reporter did not log one signal in that time.
I think I have earned my happy juice.
Barry

Leland Sly

20 meters was very good for me today.  Got more contacts this year than last and it seems that more folks are using all the different modes.  Had a lot of fun participating.  Thanks everyone I had a QSO with.

Lee N5SLY

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 5:35 PM Barry VA7GEM via groups.io <boat.anchor=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Well that completes 12hrs here with no contacts.
PSK reporter did not log one signal in that time.
I think I have earned my happy juice.
Barry

Mike W4BZM

I agree with Lee. Had a great time. Lots of signals on the waterfall, including, in the morning, traces from Canada, Germany, and South America. Worked all six modes with several contacts. And that was on a plain old wire dipole, nothing fancy. There was one period of time when a lot of activity went away due to what appeared to be broadband interference in our area, but that was only for a little while.

I also had the opportunity to explain the wide traces to a newcomer to PSK, and to introduce him to the PODXS 070 club. I think it’s important, even using contests, that we be willing to come out of “contest operation” to enter “ragchew operation” with such folks, in order to cultivate interest in PSK mode(s). Yes, you end up eating some time while you hear macros about the rig, the weather, etc. — but at the end of the day, what is more important? Another contact or two in the contest, or maybe sparking interest in a new area for another ham?

Mike W4BZM

Jerry N9AVY

Always great to chat with non-members during a contest. You never know if they will join or not, but have worked many who later got their 070 numbers and still have to work them again to claim their 070 #.  

Last week I was able to provide PODXS 070 info to a Facebook group and it seemed to be well received. A couple members there thanked me for info. At the end I referred them to 070 web page. Many had no idea that PODXS 070 even existed.  So talk up PODXS when you're on the air !

Jerry  n9avy

On Sunday, April 4, 2021, 10:05:36 AM CDT, Mike W4BZM <behrcave@...> wrote:

I agree with Lee.  Had a great time.  Lots of signals on the waterfall, including, in the morning, traces from Canada, Germany, and South America.  Worked all six modes with several contacts.  And that was on a plain old wire dipole, nothing fancy.  There was one period of time when a lot of activity went away due to what appeared to be broadband interference in our area, but that was only for a little while.

I also had the opportunity to explain the wide traces to a newcomer to PSK, and to introduce him to the PODXS 070 club.  I think it’s important, even using contests, that we be willing to come out of “contest operation” to enter “ragchew operation” with such folks, in order to cultivate interest in PSK mode(s).  Yes, you end up eating some time while you hear macros about the rig, the weather, etc. — but at the end of the day, what is more important?  Another contact or two in the contest, or maybe sparking interest in a new area for another ham?

Mike W4BZM

K8TOM

Is there an assumed protocol for soliciting mode changes?  If in S&P mode I have always deferred to the running/CQ-ing station providing mode switching requests.  It seems like we ought to make this a stated standard for the event and include it in the instructions.  It's presently sort of like figuring out who is leading in a dance with a new partner...awkward.

Once there is a problem in a QSO mode switch sequence and the two stations are out of sync on mode, what is the recommended procedure to re-sync so that the QSOs can continue?  I have had several occurrences in present and past 31 flavor events where something happened to one station or the other (or more frequently the new mode QSO did not copy) and there was no way for the stations to now resume/resync and continue with the QSO exchanges.  Can we consider establishing a "recovery" procedure?  A glitch (lasting a few minutes let's say) with software, hardware or wetware between the ears occurs from time to time and the lack of a procedure to recover and re-establish the QSO is frustrating.  Since non-members seldom do multiple mode exchanges, this suggested procedure would essentially be for the benefit of member to member QSOs.

Can we standardize the sequence in which we switch modes so that we try all the BPSKs followed by the QPSKs?

I agree with Milt that one of the very good things about this event is that it is limited to a single band-the money band for most of us-20M.  It is simpler for participants and gives 070 a much greater presence/impact on the waterfall.  A non-member cruising the band can hardly miss us!

Tom
K8TOM

Jerry N9AVY

Tom and all :

I've always gone with the station calling "CQ" calls the shots (he's in charge !).  As for recovery procedure we should probably default to PSK31.

My 2 cents after inflation ....'

Jerry  N9AVY

On Sunday, April 4, 2021, 12:42:17 PM CDT, K8TOM <tsingle@...> wrote:

Is there an assumed protocol for soliciting mode changes?  If in S&P mode I have always deferred to the running/CQ-ing station providing mode switching requests.  It seems like we ought to make this a stated standard for the event and include it in the instructions.  It's presently sort of like figuring out who is leading in a dance with a new partner...awkward.

Once there is a problem in a QSO mode switch sequence and the two stations are out of sync on mode, what is the recommended procedure to re-sync so that the QSOs can continue?  I have had several occurrences in present and past 31 flavor events where something happened to one station or the other (or more frequently the new mode QSO did not copy) and there was no way for the stations to now resume/resync and continue with the QSO exchanges.  Can we consider establishing a "recovery" procedure?  A glitch (lasting a few minutes let's say) with software, hardware or wetware between the ears occurs from time to time and the lack of a procedure to recover and re-establish the QSO is frustrating.  Since non-members seldom do multiple mode exchanges, this suggested procedure would essentially be for the benefit of member to member QSOs.

Can we standardize the sequence in which we switch modes so that we try all the BPSKs followed by the QPSKs?

I agree with Milt that one of the very good things about this event is that it is limited to a single band-the money band for most of us-20M.  It is simpler for participants and gives 070 a much greater presence/impact on the waterfall.  A non-member cruising the band can hardly miss us!

Tom
K8TOM

Eric KG6MZS

That (CQ station calls the shots) seems like common sense to me, but I know what Tom means about the awkward dance.  I usually have Search & Pounce macros and Running macros all up at the same time, so it's not hard to "change partners," as Tom put it.

I didn't have those ready for the few contacts I made this time and it was a bit of a shuffle

Eric KG6MZS

On 4/4/21 11:22 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Tom and all :

I've always gone with the station calling "CQ" calls the shots (he's in charge !).  As for recovery procedure we should probably default to PSK31.

My 2 cents after inflation ....'

Jerry  N9AVY

On Sunday, April 4, 2021, 12:42:17 PM CDT, K8TOM <tsingle@...> wrote:

Tom
K8TOM

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Thanks for having this contest.  Really a challenge.  Had very high noise at my location in Oceanside CA.  Only had  about 30 contacts buts still enjoyed myself.

Bob KK6KMu

Jim K5SP

Bob, I get you in my log almost every contest. Not this time. Not a peep heard.  S9 noise here sounded like arc welding.

Jim K5SP 

On Apr 4, 2021 2:35 PM, Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:
Thanks for having this contest.  Really a challenge.  Had very high noise at my location in Oceanside CA.  Only had  about 30 contacts buts still enjoyed myself.

Bob KK6KMu

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

If I'm going to call "CQ Contest" on a band that looks dead...let it be 20m!
OA4DOS @ 01:31
CO6GU @ 03:18
JM7OLW @ 03:52

If I'm understanding this correctly, I can have "Dupes" during the entire time of the operating event. Just no dupes during my 6 hour log submittal time block?
Is this correct?

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Sent: Sun, Apr 4, 2021 12:51 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] 20M

Bob, I get you in my log almost every contest. Not this time. Not a peep heard.  S9 noise here sounded like arc welding.

Jim K5SP 

Bob KK6KMu

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Stephen Melachrinos

Milt -

You can have dupes any time you want. But:

- only six hours worth of operating will be counted for your score
- dupes during that period will be worth 0 (zero) QSO points

The scorer will ignore any QSOs outside of the operating period you select. Since it doesn't care about those QSOs, it doesn't care if they are dupes during that period.

Steve
W3HF

To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Apr 4, 2021 4:13 pm

If I'm understanding this correctly, I can have "Dupes" during the entire time of the operating event. Just no dupes during my 6 hour log submittal time block?
Is this correct?

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Jim K5SP 

Bob KK6KMu

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Jerry N9AVY

Hmmmm ... didn't see anything in rules for this contest about dupes.  If we were allowed dupes than that makes this test too complicated...  I may have missed something when I read rules, but I doubt it. 

This may be my last 31 flavors.  I was ill all day yesterday and the switching between modes was driving me nuts.  Spent more time off the air than on.

Jery  n9avy

On Sunday, April 4, 2021, 03:39:39 PM CDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:

Milt -

The scorer will ignore any QSOs outside of the operating period you select. Since it doesn't care about those QSOs, it doesn't care if they are dupes during that period.

Steve
W3HF

Is this correct?

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Jim K5SP 

Bob KK6KMu

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Stephen Melachrinos

Jerry -

You can INCLUDE any dupes in the log you submit, but the checker will give you zero points for any that are in your operating period. That means they don't count.

For this contest, "dupe" means same callsign and same mode. (We don't have to say "same band" since all QSOs have to be 20m.) So if you had worked me on BPSK31, BPSK63 and QPSK31 (the only three variants that DigiPan 2.0 has), then they count as three separate QSOs since they are different modes.

Steve
W3HF

Sent: Sun, Apr 4, 2021 8:56 pm

Hmmmm ... didn't see anything in rules for this contest about dupes.  If we were allowed dupes than that makes this test too complicated...  I may have missed something when I read rules, but I doubt it. 

This may be my last 31 flavors.  I was ill all day yesterday and the switching between modes was driving me nuts.  Spent more time off the air than on.

Jery  n9avy

On Sunday, April 4, 2021, 03:39:39 PM CDT, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:

Milt -

Steve
W3HF

Is this correct?

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Jim K5SP 

Bob KK6KMu

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Don - KM4UDX

Switching modes on just one band make this a great event. There were more signals on the water fall than I could ever hope to QSO. Nice to see.

I run a digital playgroup on Monday night 9:00pm 7071+2 Olivia 500/16.   The focus is on exploring different non-FT8 modes and we are crazy about changing the modes mid stream.  We zoom to keep everyone in sync and good around. 

It could be a lot of fun to have an open zoom room during these 070 events. We could zoom in for help and meeting folks. 

Thanks so much for the 31 flavors event.  It was a lot of fun. Well done. 

--
Don, km4udx, uBITX

Hmmmmm??
Working multiple modes exercises the frontal lobe cerebral cortex central sulcus area of your right brain.
Some of us really show a need to work multiple modes more than others of us, ya know?
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Sent: Sun, Apr 4, 2021 1:56 pm

Jery  n9avy

Milt -

Steve
W3HF

Is this correct?

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Jim K5SP 

Bob KK6KMu

--
Jim,  K5SP #483