Topics

2020 e-skip season soon!

Rick - N7WE

Anyone planning 6m E-skip PSK31 efforts this coming E-skip season?  I haven't worked any PSK on 6m since June of 2015.  Sure would like to do some more this season.

Think I'll just skip it ... ha-hah !

Jerry

On Friday, May 15, 2020, 07:19:33 AM CDT, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Anyone planning 6m E-skip PSK31 efforts this coming E-skip season?  I haven't worked any PSK on 6m since June of 2015.  Sure would like to do some more this season.

Stephen Melachrinos

groan...

Anyone planning 6m E-skip PSK31 efforts this coming E-skip season?  I haven't worked any PSK on 6m since June of 2015.  Sure would like to do some more this season.

John Hendry KG5OIB

I would certainly love to try it!

     de  KG5OIB

     John Hendry

     Decatur, Wise County, Texas

     LOC:  EM13eg

K7DWI Art

6 Meters is open tonight here in Southern Oregon.
Best opening of the season. All I am seeing now (FT8 of course) is Southern California.
10 Meters is still going strong.

I plan to play in the 3-Day Weekend and concentrate on 10 and 6 Meters and listen on 15, 20 & 40 as time permits.
I was very disappointed when 070 ended their June VHF(Hi-Band??) Contest. Of course FT-Crazy-8s started its takeover the next year.
The following week is the 10-10 Open Season PSK Event and am really keeping my fingers crossed someone shows up.

Not optimistic, but I am a glutton for punishment.  Hope someone is there.

Anyone with operating Hi-HF, VHF Weak-Signal should know that Es love a quiet Sun. We should have a great year on Es.

Hope we connect. Hate getting on FT8/4 because no one is home.
73 Art K7DWI #2518

Rick - N7WE

Frustrated with propagation, I've been looking for some new area of ham radio that I don't have much experience in, and I'm starting to get excited about learning more and doing more on 6m this season.  Yes Art, you are right!  Es is supposed to be much better when the Sun is quiet.  So it should be a great season for doing more.

I've been using an M2 6M HO Loop in the past and while it works, I thought I'd treat myself to something better.  I'm in an HOA so no beam or tower is permitted.  But our lot does back onto wetlands (we transplants call it "swamp") to the west and north so as long as I can hide something below the roof line I should be OK.  After much searching (including eHam reviews) I ordered up a SM-50 Stressed Moxon from Dale Parfitt of PAR Electronics.  It's small in comparison to a 2 element beam, but supposedly does almost as good.  For a rotator I already have an Arm-strong and a rope - hi hi.  I'll let you know how it works out.  Should be fun!

I tried FT-8 and quickly became bored.  I'll try to avoid it if I can.  In the past on 6m its been JT-65 and MFK144 with only a few PSK31.  Sure would like to work a bunch of 070ers on 6m PSK31 this season!

Richard Rohrer

Hi Rick,

i have been monitoring 6 also, but have not seen any activity other FT8.  I went to high school with Dale Parfitt back in the good old days, hi hi.  We were in the high school radio club and he be came an engineer for Avanti Antennas when he finished college and then started his own company.  We may want to try 6 some time, but I don't know if ground wave will get that far.  I have a hexbeam up at about 28 ft.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

Roger that Dick.  I used Dale's PAR Endfeds back before he sold it to LNR.  Great product, particularly when camping and traveling!  If the SM-50 works as well, I'll be happy.  I'll post here when I'm up and operational on 6m.  We'll sure give it a try.  Hopefully, it won't be too long, but Dale did tell me in an email that they are backlogged despite working 80 hour weeks.  Good to have that much business, but kind of hard on the body long term!

And Oh Yeah! I'm real jealous of that hexbeam.  If it weren't for the HOA......

Richard Rohrer

Hi Rick,

Will be looking for you on 6 when you get your antenna.  I have mixed feelings on the hexbeam.  Sometimes it does the trick on making the contact and sometimes my wire antennas are better.  My hex is only up about 28 feet so that is not the optimum height.  One of my friends in MD that has one up about 60 ft told me not to expect miracles with it, but it does null out some of the signals.  One of the criteria when we purchased the house was we could keep the RV on the property and there were no antenna restrictions.  The only county restriction is that towers are limited to 80ft and have to be in the back yard.

Dale and I were in high school back in the 60's in upstate New York.  The electric shop teacher got the school system to purchase a NC303 and Johnson Viking Invader 2000 for the radio club along with a novice station and 6 and 2mtr Clegg am transceivers.  It was really nice being a poor high school student and get to operate first class equipment.  Made my ARC5 receiver and home brew transmitter look kind of sad, hi hi.    A group of us purchased surplus transceivers from WWII tanks, but when we got them they must have been made for tanks going to Russia, since the controls were all in the Cyrillic alphabet.  We did finally figure out what each control did and had 20 watt am HF transceivers.  We enough musing, I guess I should turn on the radio and check the bands. Have not seen much psk activity when I have checked.

73
Dick - KC3EF

John Hendry KG5OIB

I just tuned up the radio on 6m.   I'm gonna try to call out this morning, starting at 1500Z

Might be fun!

     de  KG5OIB

     John Hendry

     Decatur, Wise County, Texas