Topics

It’s Big, It’s Wonderful, It’s HUGE!


Rick - N7WE
 

The biggest 070 Club PSK31 Contest is coming soon!  It’s the 2018 Three Day Weekend Contest.  This year’s start time is 0000 UTC Friday June 1st and the contest ends at 2359 UTC Sunday June 3rd.  72 hours of nonstop fun.  All HF bands 160 thru 6, except WARC bands and 60m.  Now is a good time to CLICK HERE and review the complete rules.  Things have changed from previous years, so be sure to read up on the current set.

-- 
Rick - N7WE
PR Director
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


K8TOM
 

Rick,

TDW page says "Non-Members may sign up and receive a member number during the contest and play along with the rest of us for the duration of the contest!"  

That sounds good!  Where is the provision for a non-member to quickly and easily get an 070 number during the contest period?  The "Join Us" page presents the usual requirements with no reference to obtaining a temporary membership for the contest.  Perhaps there should be a separate page that we can direct non-members to during the contest?   Did I miss something there?

I just want to make sure it isn't a confusing situation for those that are willing to pass along the invitation during a contact and also for those willing to join us, at least for the contest.

Tom
K8TOM



This message is private or privileged. If you are not the person for whom it is intended, please delete it, notify us immediately, and do not disclose, copy, or send it to anyone else. Any accounting, business, or tax advice contained in this message from Monroe Business Services Inc PS, including its attachments, is not a formal opinion and is not intended to be a thorough, in-depth analysis of specific issues.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 8:47 AM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

The biggest 070 Club PSK31 Contest is coming soon!  It’s the 2018 Three Day Weekend Contest.  This year’s start time is 0000 UTC Friday June 1st and the contest ends at 2359 UTC Sunday June 3rd.  72 hours of nonstop fun.  All HF bands 160 thru 6, except WARC bands and 60m.  Now is a good time to CLICK HERE and review the complete rules.  Things have changed from previous years, so be sure to read up on the current set.

-- 
Rick - N7WE
PR Director
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602



Rick - N7WE
 

Good question Tom.  I don't know the answers, so I'm going to ask Matt to reply to the group on this one.  He and Jim - K5SP - take care of the membership requirements/issues.  

Also - I'm at my in-laws in Canada and only have internet access every now and then.  Found a public library this morning so I could post the TDW notice.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Matthew King - AK4MK
 

Hey, y'all - the membership process is the same as it's been for past TDW contests; apply via the "Join Us" page and wait to be approved.

Jim is generally rather quick with his approvals and, I imagine, will be particularly cognizant of the requests coming in during the contest.

I was asked separately whether "re-working" a brand new member would be necessary to gain credit for having worked them.  Well, Yes and no....

If a new member's membership start date matches the date of your QSO, you're good to go. If, however, they aren't approved until the next UTC day (for instance, if the applied late one day during the contest), then it'd be necessary to work them again in order to receive credit. That's just a function of how the membership dates/scorer interrelate. 

I hope that answers some questions!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director


On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
Good question Tom.  I don't know the answers, so I'm going to ask Matt to reply to the group on this one.  He and Jim - K5SP - take care of the membership requirements/issues.  

Also - I'm at my in-laws in Canada and only have internet access every now and then.  Found a public library this morning so I could post the TDW notice.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602



K8TOM
 

Matt,

OK.  I misunderstood the meaning of the phrase from the TDW page that I quoted earlier.  I read it to mean that we might grant a real-time temp number to non-members for use during the contest in an effort to get them on-board at a later time. That route might be attractive for those on the air during the contest but lacking the requisite contacts .  They would, of course, have to apply later and meet standard membership requirements for an official number.  

Since I always have at least a half dozen of these non-member QSOs during a contest like TDW, that seemed like a nice alternative to quickly point to during a QSO as an enticement to membership, e.g. try it you'll like it.

Just a thought for the future perhaps.

Sorry I misread it as having been part of the changed rules. As somebody once said communication is hard, especially when you're trying to say something.  ☺

Tom
K8TOM

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 9:56 AM, Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
Hey, y'all - the membership process is the same as it's been for past TDW contests; apply via the "Join Us" page and wait to be approved.

Jim is generally rather quick with his approvals and, I imagine, will be particularly cognizant of the requests coming in during the contest.

I was asked separately whether "re-working" a brand new member would be necessary to gain credit for having worked them.  Well, Yes and no....

If a new member's membership start date matches the date of your QSO, you're good to go. If, however, they aren't approved until the next UTC day (for instance, if the applied late one day during the contest), then it'd be necessary to work them again in order to receive credit. That's just a function of how the membership dates/scorer interrelate. 

I hope that answers some questions!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director


On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
Good question Tom.  I don't know the answers, so I'm going to ask Matt to reply to the group on this one.  He and Jim - K5SP - take care of the membership requirements/issues.  

Also - I'm at my in-laws in Canada and only have internet access every now and then.  Found a public library this morning so I could post the TDW notice.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602




 

Rick, I do understand the predicament of operating while at the in-laws…
Back in the day, when it was mandatory for me to make a trip to the in-laws, I'd bring an HF rig with me and operate mobile.
It was a big deal to operate a Drake TR-4, with a dc supply, & a 20m Hustler stinger...
So, for 3-4 times a year, I was a county hunter for a day at a time...
At the time, it seemed like the thing to do...
Milt.
N6MG



-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io Group Moderators <070Club@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, May 22, 2018 9:56 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] It’s Big, It’s Wonderful, It’s HUGE!

Hey, y'all - the membership process is the same as it's been for past TDW contests; apply via the "Join Us" page and wait to be approved.

Jim is generally rather quick with his approvals and, I imagine, will be particularly cognizant of the requests coming in during the contest.

I was asked separately whether "re-working" a brand new member would be necessary to gain credit for having worked them.  Well, Yes and no....

If a new member's membership start date matches the date of your QSO, you're good to go. If, however, they aren't approved until the next UTC day (for instance, if the applied late one day during the contest), then it'd be necessary to work them again in order to receive credit. That's just a function of how the membership dates/scorer interrelate. 

I hope that answers some questions!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director


On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
Good question Tom.  I don't know the answers, so I'm going to ask Matt to reply to the group on this one.  He and Jim - K5SP - take care of the membership requirements/issues.  

Also - I'm at my in-laws in Canada and only have internet access every now and then.  Found a public library this morning so I could post the TDW notice.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602