Message to FT8 User

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

Email today to KE5IRK.

Do you realize you are calling FT8  CQ right in the center of the PSK band at 14.071.8?  Could be a reason no one is answering.

Steve

Doc

Sure were a lot of FT8 on last night ,in the psk area !!

On 3/27/2018 3:33 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:
Email today to KE5IRK.

Do you realize you are calling FT8  CQ right in the center of the PSK band at 14.071.8?  Could be a reason no one is answering.

Sherri Rapp

I work both FT8 and PSK.  Gotta tell you, so many of the folks in the FT8 Facebook group I'm in are really tone-deaf! Instead of agreeing that operating FT8 at *.071 is really rude and that all FT8 users need to be respectful of "gentlemen's agreement" operating procedures...they argue that "well, there's no law against it" or "such and such Fox and hound event was announced weeks ago". It's so aggravating! An announcement on an ft8 blog post doesn't mean the psk operators will get the message much less have any input.

Sherri, WB4OSU, #2601

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 3:41 PM Doc <gsbishop@...> wrote:

Sure were a lot of FT8 on last night ,in the psk area !!

On 3/27/2018 3:33 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:
Email today to KE5IRK.

Do you realize you are calling FT8  CQ right in the center of the PSK band at 14.071.8?  Could be a reason no one is answering.

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

On the subject, I sent an email to David and Gary Pierce of Ham Radio Now. I asked them to look into this as a possible show subject.

Hopefully they will bite. This issue needs some publicity and maybe get some attention from the decision makers. I would encourage everyone else to email some of these podcast and internet shows about the issue.

Squeaky Wheel!

On Mar 27, 2018, at 15:51, Sherri Rapp <srapp7@...> wrote:

[...]

Irv [K3IRV] McWherter

And therein lies the problem, we are pretty much a self policing organization.  Unless the OO's and others complain to the individuals, etc it will never stop.  Ever thought of not engaging in a QSO but decoding the offenders call and sending them an email, etc?  Most people have their email addresses on QRZ.

Only squeaky wheels get greased.

Irv - K3IRV #2600

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Sherri Rapp <srapp7@...> wrote:
[...]

Geary McDowell

Hummm, no I did not notice that.  My system my still be having more issues than I thought.  Thank you and I will look into that further.
73, Geary, KE5IRK

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 2:33 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io <oldjavadrinker@...> wrote:
Email today to KE5IRK.

Do you realize you are calling FT8  CQ right in the center of the PSK band at 14.071.8?  Could be a reason no one is answering.

Geary McDowell

Okay Steve, and anyone else who noticed the same.  I had a major eh, total hard drive crash on the 12th, after my week and half of rebuilding my system, it is NOT a simple system, I finally got everything reinstalled.  I trusted the freqs in the WSJT-X program were correct, and checking, they are.  I start my day trying to make a PSK contact, usually on 20M.  I can tell more about the bands there looking at that waterfall.  I get maybe 5 a week on PSK.  I have still been averaging 80 a day on FT8.  Then it hit me.  Over the weekend I saw, which is most often, no one on PSK which is my preferred mode.  So I went to spin the dial to listen in for SSB stations during last weekend's contest.  My hearing is just too bad and I don't have the patience for the contest stations who talk so fast this retired Oklahoma boy cannot understand them.  I had longer spurts of no replies to my FT8 CQs the past two days than ever.  With major storms in the area I thought that might have been it.  I noticed my radio was unlocked.  I usually keep the dial locked so the freq does not change at the radio, only via software as the family uses the same computer and I don't always turn off the radio.  Maybe that was it.  I WILL pay closer attention to the software and radio freq screens to make sure I am calling at 14.074 when using FT8.  I've not noticed that issue in PSK.  If you see me calling in the "so called" PSK freq range, please let me know.  The locals here are still telling me there is a "data" range and preferred freqs.  But they are the same ones who told me for nine years to put on new coax to solve the >31 SWR issues, and I already had done that.  HI HI
73, always like to learn and I have a lot to learn,
Geary, KE5IRK

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 2:33 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io <oldjavadrinker=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Email today to KE5IRK.

Do you realize you are calling FT8  CQ right in the center of the PSK band at 14.071.8?  Could be a reason no one is answering.

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

My apologies Geary if I was offending on my post.  You had a Honest mistake and I understand. There are those that are intentionally setting up in the PSK areas and that’s what has everyone on edge.  Again my apologies if I came across as brash.

On Mar 27, 2018, at 17:50, Geary McDowell <ke5irk@...> wrote:

[...]

Oh no Steve, you were not.  I, like you, worked with the public for many years, I'm pretty tough skinned  HI HI HI.  Having worked in Federal programs most of my career, I am a strict rule follower, so I would not intentionally be in the wrong place.  It would definitely be by accident.  Hey, have you found good Carolina BBQ in Canada yet?  HI HI  We had a good PSK QSO in Feb.  I want to do what is right as I am still pretty new to the hobby, trying to learn as much as I can so I will do it right; and help around here, with over 400 HAMs is very little.  They prefer to keep help to their secret groups with only about four exceptions to that, and I am a past president of the local big club and they still won't help.  I was just licensed about 8 months for HF before major SWR issues took me off the HF bands for nine years, and no one here could/would/wanted to help.  It is all okay now and I am enjoying more than just being the net control for the local storm team, which is why I became a HAM.  Then I found all these other things that were cool too.  All is good, and I cannot tell who is on other bands when FT8 and PSK are in the wrong places on my waterfalls, so I cannot join in on the group discussion there.  HI HI  Ignorance CAN be bliss.  HI HI

I prefer PSK and would like to see a LOT more people on there.
73 to all, Geary KE5IRK

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io <oldjavadrinker@...> wrote:
[...]

Geary:

You should be able to tell the difference on your waterfall.  A decent PSK31 signal had defined edges and an FT-8 looks more like a squiggle with  teeth like edges.

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Justin Mattes--KC2GIK

Lately, it seems we're talking more about FT8 than PSK.........
Justin,KC2GIK

<oldjavadrinker@...> wrote:

My apologies Geary if I was offending on my post.  You had a Honest
mistake and I understand. There are those that are intentionally setting
up in the PSK areas and that’s what has everyone on edge.  Again my
apologies if I came across as brash.
Steve2301

[...]

Justin Mattes-KC2GIK
http://www.justinmattes.com

Geary McDowell

Hummm Jerry, I keep reading what people are saying about all the crossover traffic.  I didn't know what to look for.  I'll look for that and see if my old eyes can tell the difference.
Thanks,
Geary, KE5IRK

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Steve R via Groups.Io <oldjavadrinker=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

Why is that a problem? The current FT8 situation is having a significant negative impact on PSK operations. I see nothing wrong with discussing that problem here and perhaps brainstorming some ways to change the direction FT8 is taking.

Or we can just stick our heads in the sand and get bulldozed.

Mike
WM4B