Mobile Installations

W7RIV

I would like to do more mobile operating for a few reasons. I would like to help the club out and get more Grids on the air for individuals. I find this a fun activity, but sometimes to do a portable setup it is just painful.

I've been looking at antennas, and there are just a million options and some they are very proud of them and the cost is insane. Is there a cost sensitive antenna that would work well for HF?

I'm also looking for an easy way to mount my Elecraft KX3 in my Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for your input,
Bryon, W7RIV

Mike Flowers

Hi Bryon,

Here’s a great website:  http://www.k0bg.com/

It’s almost ‘Amateur Radio Mobile Central’ – maybe even too much mobile information.   Lot’s of ideas there …

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

I would like to do more mobile operating for a few reasons. I would like to help the club out and get more Grids on the air for individuals. I find this a fun activity, but sometimes to do a portable setup it is just painful.

I've been looking at antennas, and there are just a million options and some they are very proud of them and the cost is insane. Is there a cost sensitive antenna that would work well for HF?

I'm also looking for an easy way to mount my Elecraft KX3 in my Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for your input,

Bryon, W7RIV

Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...>

I've not messed with HF mobile personally YET, but I've studied quite a bit about it. I understand one thing is paramount - BONDING/GROUNDING. You need to bond the frame to the body, the hood to the body, the doors to the body, the hatch to the body... you get the idea. The exhaust needs to be bonded to the frame, as does the engine to the frame/body. These all help with the ground plane and with RFI.

Let us know which way you go!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 4:04 PM, Mike Flowers <mike.flowers@...> wrote:

Hi Bryon,

Here’s a great website:  http://www.k0bg.com/

It’s almost ‘Amateur Radio Mobile Central’ – maybe even too much mobile information.   Lot’s of ideas there …

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

I would like to do more mobile operating for a few reasons. I would like to help the club out and get more Grids on the air for individuals. I find this a fun activity, but sometimes to do a portable setup it is just painful.

I've been looking at antennas, and there are just a million options and some they are very proud of them and the cost is insane. Is there a cost sensitive antenna that would work well for HF?

I'm also looking for an easy way to mount my Elecraft KX3 in my Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for your input,

Bryon, W7RIV

Jerry N9AVY

Unfortunately, the site seems more about mobile than portable which I believe is what Byron was asking.

Perhaps some sort of collapsible mast with a hunk of wire running up  or maybe a couple masts to hold up a dipole or some other antenna. There are a few commercial models available. If I was to go portable I have a 25 foot surveyor's pole that would hold up a wire; think I also have a long painter's pole.

Shooting a wire up with an air powered spud gun or slingshot into a tree might also work, but sometimes trees are available. Had a friend several year ago who installed a commerical telescoping mast (like TV stations use for remotes)...  saw one at Dayton years ago with a price tag of $4000 !   My friend's was installed in his RV  and held a tribander; recall someone else who had similar set up down in GA.  But  these are pricey and not something readily available to us.

I'd be all for a cheap and simple set up that would do the trick. Also remember seeing a 20m portable beam made from a couple fishing poles on the net a couple years back.  Fibre glass poles were cheap and collapsible. Wish I could remember the site.  Probably best to Google "portable antennas".

My 2 cents worth'

Jerry   n9avy

It’s almost ‘Amateur Radio Mobile Central’ – maybe even too much mobile information.   Lot’s of ideas there …

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

I would like to do more mobile operating for a few reasons. I would like to help the club out and get more Grids on the air for individuals. I find this a fun activity, but sometimes to do a portable setup it is just painful.

I've been looking at antennas, and there are just a million options and some they are very proud of them and the cost is insane. Is there a cost sensitive antenna that would work well for HF?

I'm also looking for an easy way to mount my Elecraft KX3 in my Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for your input,
Bryon, W7RIV

Mike Flowers

>>> I would like to do more mobile operating for a few reasons. - Bryon, W7RIV

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

It’s almost ‘Amateur Radio Mobile Central’ – maybe even too much mobile information.   Lot’s of ideas there …

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

I would like to do more mobile operating for a few reasons. I would like to help the club out and get more Grids on the air for individuals. I find this a fun activity, but sometimes to do a portable setup it is just painful.

I've been looking at antennas, and there are just a million options and some they are very proud of them and the cost is insane. Is there a cost sensitive antenna that would work well for HF?

I'm also looking for an easy way to mount my Elecraft KX3 in my Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for your input,

Bryon, W7RIV

Jerry N9AVY

When I went mobile back around 2000, just tossed everything in GMC Van and didn't worry about grounding. It all seemed to work out as I drove up to MN on trial run before taking van out out to Maine.

Before going mobile, one should read owner's manual to see if there is anything in manual about radio affecting vehicle's computer. If RF gets into computer, it could mess it up and one might have to have computer replaced which might be big $$$$.

When you're out in the middle of no where is not a good time to find out.

Jerry  n9avy

P.S. TS-50  (100 watts with a HF-1500 Screwdriver antenna)

I would like to do more mobile operating for a few reasons. I would like to help the club out and get more Grids on the air for individuals. I find this a fun activity, but sometimes to do a portable setup it is just painful.

I've been looking at antennas, and there are just a million options and some they are very proud of them and the cost is insane. Is there a cost sensitive antenna that would work well for HF?

I'm also looking for an easy way to mount my Elecraft KX3 in my Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for your input,
Bryon, W7RIV

Jim K5SP

Better than a slingshot, I used a drone to get my wire up and over a tree, worked like a charm.

Jim, K5SP

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Jerry N9AVY

Had an Uncle (ex-W0KIA - SK)  up in NDak who worked at weather station at airport.  He used to take some weather balloons and hook a wire to them... think wired was around 1500 ft (?)  ... and loaded that up. Guess it worked well as long as there wasn't a lot of air traffic.

Jerry  n9avy

It’s almost ‘Amateur Radio Mobile Central’ – maybe even too much mobile information.   Lot’s of ideas there …

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

I would like to do more mobile operating for a few reasons. I would like to help the club out and get more Grids on the air for individuals. I find this a fun activity, but sometimes to do a portable setup it is just painful.

I've been looking at antennas, and there are just a million options and some they are very proud of them and the cost is insane. Is there a cost sensitive antenna that would work well for HF?

I'm also looking for an easy way to mount my Elecraft KX3 in my Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for your input,
Bryon, W7RIV

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Richard Rohrer

Hi Bryon,

I use a 20mtr hamstick mounted on the rear drivers side of our Town and Country mini-van.  I used a mount that fit between the car body and the tail light, so when I remove it there are no holes in the car body.  I use a IC7100 and run about 80 watts.  I have activated several grids for the rest of the gang and have generally have gotten good reports, even at 80 mph.

73

Dick – KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

Byron-
I'm late with the reply, but we had our first seasonal severe weather move through this afternoon with heavy lightning, downpours and a tornado warning.  So not only was the antenna tipped over and the rig disconnected, but the computers were shutdown and disconnected too!

I'm assuming from your post that what you are thinking about is having a mobile setup that you can park and be on the air with PSK....OR...have someone else driving while you are operating!   Dick - KC3EF has such a setup and it works great!  I've worked him when he was mobile in CA from here in Florida (his wife was driving - hi hi!)  He uses a Hamstick mounted on the side of his van.  Email him and I'm sure he will be more than happy to tell you about his setup.  I've never operated while in motion, but have done quite a bit from our vehicle with just a magmount hamstick (I carry 15m, 20m, and 40m) on the center of the roof.  I run the power up to 30w as the setup is far from effecient.  But it gets the job done.

One concern - you mentioned using your KX3 - which is 10w and I believe can be pushed to 12w.  Unless your antenna setup is pretty efficient, or prop really good, I think that will be regional QSOs only.  Did you sell your K3?  I use my K3 as the portable/mobile car rig.  It just rides on the floor next to the AGM battery until I park.

Good luck and look forward to working you again when you activate some of those rare grids out West!

Have used hamsticks for years and have had good luck with them.  Used to have them on tripod mag mount on roof, but ya hafta watch out for viaducts !

Uping a KX-3 from 10 to 12 watts is an exercise in futility. To see any appreciable S-meter movement at other end the power would have to doubled. Save the finals !

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Martin Tuip

I have had many QDOs with FK8DD on PSK31 who often operates mobile. Check his setup at

I bought the same antenna he uses for portable operations.

Martin
Kg7hax

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 5:04 PM -0700, "Rick - N7WE" <n7we1980@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Wow, he has some awesome equipment set up!!  That is very interesting.

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065

On Mar 20, 2018, at 8:50 PM, Martin Tuip <ajax@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob KC9UR <v32hoosier@...>

For portable operations, some simple efficient antennas can be inexpensively home-brewed.  One of my favorites is a 20m half square.  If it is end fed, it will resonate on 40m, 20m, 15m and 10m.  It has good low-angle gain on 20m and 15m.  Mechanically, all it takes is two 18 ft fiberglass push-up poles (or two handy trees), 67 ft of wire, and a 1:49 or 1:64 broadband transformer.  Instructions for building the transformer are available on-line in several places (just consists of a ferrite core with a couple windings).  End fed half wave (EFHW) antennas are also resonant, very efficient and easy to erect via a handy tree or a fiberglass pole.  I've homebrewed and used a 40m/20m/10m EFHW and a 30m/17m EFHW.  I've also successfully used commercial EFHW antennas from LNR Precision.  Stan Robinson, W9SMR, and I used these (i.e. home-brew half square, 40m/20m/10m EFHW and 30m/17m EFHW) on our APE portable operation last year with good results.

Also even easier to homebrew is a random length wire end fed with a 9:1 unun.  The downside of the simplicity is that they require an antenna tuner and are less efficient (i.e. lower gain) than the half square or EFHW (they can also sometimes cause problems with RF on the coax).

Best of luck with your mobile/portable ops!

73,
Bob, KC9UR