Antenna tuner suggestions / help

Martin Tuip

I'm looking to tap into the knowledge of all of you here a bit.  My main shack is in my house but I have a secondary shack in my garage with a simple Alinco radio and a VHF setup as well.  I'm not specifically planning to do any digital from there but I do most of my antenna design and builds there.

I'm experimenting with different wire and verticals and am thinking a manual tuner is going to give me more flexibility than an automatic tuner as I also get a little bit more insight (plus I wonder if a manual tuner will allow me to sometimes to a better job than auto tuners).  At the moment I'm sticking to max 100W although I have a dedicated 240V circuit for an amp already installed.  What would you suggest without spending a ton of money.  MFJ (yeah I know their reputation) has like 3 million models and I'm just lost.

If anyone has a used one laying around that they don't need and am willing to part with as well for some $ I'm open too.

Martin
KG7HAX

Jerry N9AVY

Martin:

You could try looking at a few hamfests in your area this spring/summer.  Have heard that  some tuners rated at 100 watts aren't really 100 watt units; same goes for some of the 300 watt units. In others words, you might let the smoke out. My tendency would be to go after something rated at a KW because it's built a bit more heavy duty and the parts will hopefully stand up better in case you run into high SWRs.  I picked up a Vectronics (original, not MFJ) HF-1500 for about $250 and it seems to work well. Always invest in the best you can afford so you don't have to spend more bucks later.

Some of the other brands out there are older, but just as good:  E.F. Johnson, Drake, etc.

Good luck !

Jerry N9AVY

[...]

Curt Sanders

I have been using a MFJ-949E for years with no trouble.
73 de Curt, K3URT, #1630.

On Mar 19, 2018, at 4:08 PM, Martin Tuip <ajax@...> wrote:

[...]

JEFF WALSH

Hi Martin....
I have been using MFJ tuners for years ...... 941D and 949E both manual tuners and still have them and they are at least 25 years old and still work fine .... The only thing I replaced in them is the light bulbs......  I have 2 MFJ 993b auto tuners which I have hooked up to my IC 7200 and IC 7410.... I bought the auto tuners we I got active in PSK and jump around the bands a lot..... I have been very happy with them and I had a problem with one of the 993s during the St. Pat contest but as Jim pointed out all I did was do a reset and I am back in business..... I have a bunch of homebrew dipoles plus a Mosley TA33 and a Zero five vertical {obviously I don't live in a deed restricted neighborhood} and all my MFJ tuners whether auto or manual have been able to tune down to 1.5 or less..... I had a LDG auto tuner but was not happy with it and gave it to a ham buddy down in FL...... I know that most hams either love or hate MFJ but I have no complaints and would buy em again.
Just a footnote  MFJ is about 15 miles from my QTH but I always order or buy from a retailer as MFJ will only sell at the retail price and I can buy their products cheaper from a store or online.
I feel that MFJ gives a lot of bang for the buck .... but maybe that's because I have never had any problems with their products ..... and maybe a little luck of the Irish on my end ?

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Monday, March 19, 2018 4:31 PM, Curtis D Sanders <k3urt@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Jeff — Which Zero Five vertical do you have?? Just curious as I have the 27’ vertical with 40 radials all at 27’ long.  Seems to do well but don’t know since I have nothing to compare it to.  I have often wondered if I should jump up to the 33’ or the 43’ vertical.  Not sure the 33’ one would make that much difference.  I thought the 27’ would be best for me for operations on 10 meters but hey, 10 meters is just about non existent right now ...

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065

On Mar 19, 2018, at 8:25 PM, JEFF WALSH <jeffwalsh1644@...> wrote:

[...]

BUBBAWOOD
[...]

Dan  ,,,,, I have the Zero Five 10-40 with ground plane .... I have been happy with it and use it on my IC-7410 for phone work ..... I followed the recommendations and mounted it at 20' .... Tom explained any higher is a waste as the ground plane rods mounted on the base work off  the ground {real ground not electrical ground} ,,,,, I elected to get the model with the ground plane rods as I didn't want to run the radials {too lazy at the time to run em} ..... I have the antenna feed with LMR400 coax tuning it with a MFJ 993b auto tuner and the combination seems to work great ..... I have worked much DX off it when conditions where better.

I have full lenght homebrew dipoles for all bands running all over the place and bought the Zero Five just for a quick scan of the bands on the IC-7410.

As you know Dan the Zero Five is a very well built and designed antenna ..... I gotta give it a 5 star rating.
but I don't know if you would gain that much by going to a longer mast ...... however the more radials the better.

I am comtemplating their 43' model and center mounting it on my 40' x 50' all metal shop and working it off the metal roof instead of running wire radials..... I spoke with Tom at Zero Five and he told me that he has several customers that have done similiar mountings with good results ,,,,, but that project is down the road ....

Dan hope the information helps but every antenna situation is different .... if you look on my QRZ page you will see my rats nest wiring but hey it works for me plus my station is located in my shop and my XYL leaves me alone out there so neatness doesn't matter ... hi hi

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU

BUBBAWOOD
[...]

K8TOM

Jeff,

The metal structure mounting in lieu of wire radials can work well, if you have that option.  As I think I have mentioned before, I mounted a Hustler 6BTV on top of my metal roofed barn at about 40 feet above the dirt.   The antenna and its support are bonded to the metal roof.

I checked the continuity of the roof (between the "tin roof" sheets) before I went that route, and I recommend that you do that check prior to committing to this configuration.  The RF continuity between the "tin roof" sheets seemed good, so I went for it.

Within a few months I managed to get almost all of my initial DXCC contacts with that vertical and it is still the antenna that I use 75% of the time vs the beam. YMMV.

Tom
K8TOM
815

Martin Tuip

Thanks for the tips. I looked at some MFJs bit stumbled across a really good looking AMP AT1200 which is a bit of a boat anchor but very manual and it will help me get a better understanding of stuff I don't always fully understand. I will keep my eye out for a compact MFJ for when I travel however.

Martin

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 5:25 PM -0700, "JEFF WALSH" <jeffwalsh1644@...> wrote:

[...]

BUBBAWOOD
[...]

Tom .... all good advice ...... my shop is a engineered structure ....all metal prefab ..... I weld and use cutting torches in it ......didn't want the fire risk....... with a wind loading of 150mph ..... not a wood structure with corrugated tin roofing .... it looks like a Quanset style hut .....  My XYL and myself assembled it in our younger days ...... still have nightmares about over 4000 nuts and bolts used to assemble it .... electrically it is considered to be one piece ... works great a as faraday cage .... cel phone won't even get 1 bar

Tom at Zero Five said that the building should work just fine to work the antenna off of

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:53 PM, K8TOM <tsingle@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff - Thanks for the info.  Well, two different antennas. I thought about the ground plane but opted for the regulated vertical with tilt over in case of strong winds, etc.  Thanks agn.

Dan Morris

I live to live for Him!

On Mar 20, 2018, at 2:32 PM, JEFF WALSH <jeffwalsh1644@...> wrote:

[...]

BUBBAWOOD
[...]

I received my manual tuner on Friday .. older unit and it had a small issue with one of the knobs but it is able to get my random end fed wire (about 80ft) tuned on all bands to nearly 1:1 .. I'm pleased with that.  Side related question then ... I was at the State Science Fair with my son and talked with the ham guys who had a demo display at the event.  One of them has a 500ft end fed wire without counterpoise running through his trees that he says works really well.  I have the room to feed 500ft through the trees on my property and the YL won't notice an 18 gauge black wire.

Is it worth the effort ?   The calculations I've seen lists 422ft as an ideal length ... just a bit at a loss here.

Martin
KG7HAX

[...]

Brian (N2MLP)

I RUN A 560 WIRE

Great on 10-160M

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

[...]

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

I ran 575 feet as a loop - direct fed with coax.  Probably shouldn't have worked, but it was wonderful!

Mike

WM4B

On March 26, 2018 at 8:25 PM "Brian (N2MLP)" <n2mlp@...> wrote:

I RUN A 560 WIRE