Open Up Contests - Reduce Membership Requirement

Don Bolstad K9DEB

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

Brian (N2MLP)

Think dropping the 50 contact to join is   jut helps the lazy

Most people can get 50 contacts in a weekend you try

(working one contest you get you more than 50 contact In few hours)

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

Brian (N2MLP)

Think dropping the 50 contact to join is   jut helps the lazy

Most people can get 50 contacts in a weekend if you try

[...]

JEFF WALSH

I agree with Don .... times and conditions change and the club must be able to change with the times .... if the club wants to continue to grow then reducing the number from 50 to 25 contacts as a prerequisite to me seems to the smart thing to do .....

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:20 PM, Donald Bolstad <don@...> wrote:

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

Jerry N9AVY

Reducing required contacts from 50 to 25 seems to be a good idea at this time because of poor propagation . Don't think we'll see anywhere near the conditions we've seen in previous years.  We need to change or fall behind the times.

jerry  n9avy

I agree with Don .... times and conditions change and the club must be able to change with the times .... if the club wants to continue to grow then reducing the number from 50 to 25 contacts as a prerequisite to me seems to the smart thing to do .....

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:20 PM, Donald Bolstad <don@...> wrote:

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

I’m not a fan of this idea. I operate less than an hour a day around 0000z and maybe a bit more on weekends. I make 50 contacts every 2 – 3 weeks – less if there is a contest. Heck, even if I just do my one-contact-per day for the Calendar endorsement, that’s 30 contacts in a month. (Granted, there are a few dupes in there, but not that many.)

IMHO, the thrill of the hunt is part of the fun. That’s why the Clock, Calendar, and WTW endorsements are so much fun. Why cheapen it?

Mike
WM4B

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

I resemble that remark! ;>)

Mike
WM4B

Anything less would be a "Slacker" Version of PODXS

Brian (N2MLP)

Well stated

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

Brian (N2MLP)

Totally agree

========================
de N2MLP Brian
Monroe County PA

========================

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike. Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership. Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline. Anyone reading this who joined the club in the last few months care to comment? How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log?? I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less. Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

JEFF WALSH

I myself do not believe that just because I had to do it that all others have to ...... I had to learn Morse code to get HF privileges but with the FCC dropping the code requirement  I believe that it has allowed a lot of individuals to become hams who brought to the hobby a wealth of knowledge in regards with the digital side of the hobby who otherwise would have been kept out of the hobby ....

Change can be good or it can be bad ...... but we can't be afraid of change

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

Brian (N2MLP)

But the rules don’t stop you from joining, just make you work for it

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB

070 #2007

LONP #327

Gent's,

Let me weigh in on this.

I wasn't aware we had a "growth" problem.

I'm 070-650 and back when I joined, it was really slow growth for sure.

We actually had a "New Member Jamboree" every time we reached a 100 new member milestone.

I, personally don't think that "diluting" our membership by lowering the membership requirements will do anything positive for the club at all.

Sun spots have been measured for hundreds of years. They go up, and come down. They're down right now, and will come back.

One another note, we have a tremendous knowledge base within our club. When we communicate via our email reflector, can we please remember that it has the potential to be distributed to 2,604 members, (less s/k's and those that have resigned or censured)?

Can we put a hold on the silliness and keep our emails on point?

I don't think that whining, crying and sniveling has anything to do with the 070 Club.

Want a suggestion to help our club grow? To help prospective members learn about us?

More operating events!

In those operating events, call, "CQ CQ 070 Club Members...any station  k"

It's always worked in the past.

And, that's my opinion.

Milt., N6MG

070-650

LONP #76

I agree with Don .... times and conditions change and the club must be able to change with the times .... if the club wants to continue to grow then reducing the number from 50 to 25 contacts as a prerequisite to me seems to the smart thing to do .....

JEFF WALSH

W3WMU

BUBBAWOOD

WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS

STURGIS, MS.

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:20 PM, Donald Bolstad <don@...> wrote:

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

Sherri Rapp

Regarding membership requirement:
It took me about a month of concentrated working PSK31 to get my 50 QSOs for membership. That requirement forced me to learn so much more about the various software available to me — and using the macros and free text and reading the waterfall etc etc — that it was very helpful. Chasing those 50 QSOs helped me be much more confident on the air and was exactly what I needed to be a better operator. I say keep the 50.

Cheers!
Sherri, WB4OSU

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018, 9:23 PM Brian (N2MLP) <n2mlp@...> wrote:

[...]

Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...>

I'm actually going to agree with Milt (and others) on this one. The 50 member requirement is there to keep the "I just want a membership number" crowd away. We want to have ACTIVE operators.

I don't see me budging on the member requirement, though I do think we could open the contests to all takers. It'll take some rearranging in the checker, so this year's St Patrick's Day contest will remain member's only, but we'll get it changed before next year.

Not sure if they'll get changed this year or not - we'll have to work with David and work within his schedule. As we all know, he has precious little time to put towards things these days, so we need to make our changes as small as possible.

We'll make changes as simple as we can to the rules so as not to really change the spirit of the contest.  That'll probably be the approach taken on the other member's only contests as well.

We're really not having a growth problem. We had tremendous growth for a couple years, and it's leveling off a bit now, which is OK. I blame that solely on FT-8's prevalence within the digital community right now, and that's OK too.  As the sunspots came back after a couple more years, we'll start having more and more contacts, so we should see more growth there.

I just now saw Sherri's email describing having to "work for" her 50 contacts. That's the EXACT sort of member we're after!  As others have said as well, one can just about get 50 contacts with one of our contests (the open ones, that is) if one shows some perseverance.

Thanks for all the feedback, y'all!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 8:23 PM, Milton Garb <n6mg@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>

The 50 contacts requirement for membership was and is best for the Club. It's not that hard, most can complete it in a month or so. Even in the doldrums of the solar cycle. IMHO, when solar conditions improve PSK31 will come roaring back.

I agree that club sponsored operating events or contests should be open to all amatuers. But, it's too late on the 14th of March to change the rules for the 17th of March. David needs time to write code changes for Checker. I suggest that rules for ALL remaining events for 2018 remain as is. Then change the rules for 2019 so that all amatuers are welcomed.

73
Paul NU4C

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

I agree with Don .... times and conditions change and the club must be able to change with the times .... if the club wants to continue to grow then reducing the number from 50 to 25 contacts as a prerequisite to me seems to the smart thing to do .....

JEFF WALSH

W3WMU

BUBBAWOOD

WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS

STURGIS, MS.

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:20 PM, Donald Bolstad <don@...> wrote:

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

Stephen Melachrinos

I haven't said much on the reflector recently, and have been on the air even less. Work has been busy, with lots of travel (none with a radio), and it's been hard to just keep up with emails. But with all the discussion on these topics, I think it's probably time for one of the old-timers to chime in.

1. First of all, I'm generally in favor of opening up contests to non-members. I think this may require some rules changes in some cases. St Patrick's Day would be pretty easy--just skip the member number for the exchange. For TDW, though, it would be more complicated--maybe keep a members-only category and also allow a non-members category, and tell non-members to use member number 0 (zero) in the exchange and just count it as a QSO point.

1a. Note that it's not necessary to refuse a non-member contact during a contest. I find it easier (and faster) to just make the contact, give him/her my exchange, and then exclude it from my score. Takes less time to do that than to explain that "it's member-only so I don't want to waste my time making a QSO that won't count for my score" and then potentially alienate a prospective member.

2. Regarding the 50-QSO requirement for membership, I personally think it should be kept. The original intent of that requirement was to ensure that members were active PSKers. There are lots of clubs that don't require any proof of operation to get a member number, and I see lots of brag files where the other op will list four, five, ten club membership numbers. Aside from some that just aren't relevant (like the 10-10 or 30MDG numbers that are given on a 40m QSO or Feld Hell number on PSK), I wonder whether the other operator really is interested in all these various bands and modes when there are so many, or is he just collecting numbers for a brag file. That's especially true of EPC--just click a web page and you get a number! 070 (like 10-10) requires applicants to demonstrate their interest in the subject of the club by active participation before membership. I think that's relevant and appropriate.

3. Others have pointed out that it may be more difficult today than it was a few years ago. Maybe that's true. But others have pointed out that it's not really that hard--you can easily make 50 contacts during a contest, and you can usually get a few contacts a day and reach the goal within a month or so. I made my 50 contacts mostly during December 2000, back when there were comparatively few PSK stations at all. I had typically 2-4 contacts per day, maybe twice that on a weekend day. But I had 50 contacts by December 16th, and had my submission to the club approved on Christmas eve (during the era of manual review of membership apps). Yes, sunspots were on the upswing then, but I was only using an attic dipole (still my 20m antenna) and a PSK20 (so I was limited to one band--20m--and only three watts out). This isn't meant to be either a "if I can do it then anyone can", or even worse a "since I had to do it, I don't want anyone else to get in cheaply". But I think there's more value placed on the club membership if you have to work a little more to earn it rather than just "click the web site."

4. Some of you may also remember when the club offered a separate endorsement path for working more than 50 different stations. QSO-level stickers were issued in 50-QSO increments up to 300 different callsigns worked. Maybe that was more significant in the early days of PSK31--looks like I got to 300 some time in April of 2001. I'm not suggesting we re-establish that, but just mentioning it because it shows that the club has always had a focus on encouraging active members, not just the quantity of members.

_._,_._,_

JEFF WALSH

Always good to see others points of view .... keeps the gray matter working

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:31 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Good point

Yes I am all in favor of opening up the PODXS contests to all, members and non-members alike.  Can have different point values to make it more interesting.

I would also be in favor of reducing the 50 contact requirement for membership.  Seems a bit high in light of the recent activity decline.  Anyone reading this who joined  the club in the last few months care to comment?  How long did it take you to get the 50 contacts in the log??  I'd put the requirement at 25 or even less.  Maybe if a non-club member participates in a club contest and logs, say 10 members, that would qualify.

Don K9DEB
070 #2007
LONP #327

Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...>

Quite well stated, Steve. Thanks for chiming in!

You've said precisely what I was trying to get across in my prior email.

We're definitely after ACTIVE members. It may be a little harder now, but 50 unique contacts should just be scratching the surface for our members!

Thanks again for your well-experienced points of view.