the more the merrier

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Monday, March 12, 2018 1:14 PM, Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:

Hey, y'all - I was just chatting with Bruce Horn of WA7BNM Contest Calendar/contestcalendar.com fame about the ST Patrick's Day contest being a closed, member's only contest.

Why is it closed? Just because it always has been?  Would anybody have any objection to opening up the contest to the masses, unwashed or or not?

I'm in favor of the idea, but I'd like to hear any detractor's points of view as well.

I didn't just want to "make it so" without some discussion and input from the members on the matter.  Please, let's discuss the pros and cons of making it a public contest.

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

Irv [K3IRV] McWherter

Yes, I agree, the more the merrier.

Irv.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:20 PM, JEFF WALSH <jeffwalsh1644@...> wrote:
the more the merrier

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
[...]

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

Took the words right out of my mouth.
More participants = higher scores + more fun.  If A=B and B=C then A=C. (I knew I'd use that someday)

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 02:20 PM, JEFF WALSH wrote:

the more the merrier

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
[...]

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

Yeah... What he said!

Mike
WM4B

On Mar 12, 2018 2:26 PM, Joseph <ljl2002@...> wrote:
Took the words right out of my mouth.
More participants = higher scores + more fun. If A=B and B=C then A=C. (I knew I'd use that someday)
Joe
KA1PPV #1482
On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 02:20 PM, JEFF WALSH wrote:
the more the merrier
JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
[...]

bowerjohn41 <poppajohnbower@...>

Personally I would be happy for it to be open or closed>
Open it would be a good marketing tool for the club.
Anything we can do to encourage the use of PSK31 is only for the good.
I think that at this late stage of the game this year it would be best to leave it as it is and make the change in 2019.
If we are going to open it up, and require member numbers we will have to standardize the entry for non members_maybe 0000.
Best
John KE4JB

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:14 PM, Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
Hey, y'all - I was just chatting with Bruce Horn of WA7BNM Contest Calendar/contestcalendar.com fame about the ST Patrick's Day contest being a closed, member's only contest.

Why is it closed? Just because it always has been?  Would anybody have any objection to opening up the contest to the masses, unwashed or or not?

I'm in favor of the idea, but I'd like to hear any detractor's points of view as well.

I didn't just want to "make it so" without some discussion and input from the members on the matter.  Please, let's discuss the pros and cons of making it a public contest.

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

Rick - N7WE

I'll vote for open it up.  I think it can still be done for Saturday.  Maybe change the exchange to RSQ and either S/P/C or Member # (but not require both).  If someone doesn't get the word and still used member # that fine.  Don't know if changing the exchange would require changing the scorer though.  That would be hard for David to get done by Saturday.  But if holding off until next year is the decision, I'm good with that too.

2 points for members and 1 point for non-members has always worked for other groups.  (Maybe 3 pts fer YLs !)

Open it up as soon as possible for the word to get out. Don't wait a year.

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Since it's St. Paddy's day, how about 4 points for drunken leprechauns?

Mike
WM4B

On Mar 12, 2018 2:47 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
[...]

Are you volunteering ?

Jerry
n9avy

[...]

Mike Flowers

>>> Since it's St. Paddy's day, how about 4 points for drunken leprechauns?

There’s another kind?

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

[...]

B C <k9wis@...>

Jerry is too tall.....

Brian K9WIS
---- Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

=============
Are you volunteering ?
Jerryn9avy

[...]

Thanks Brian !     I'm more Scot than Irish...

Jerry

[...]

I was trying not to go there.

On Mar 12, 2018 3:36 PM, Mike Flowers <mike.flowers@...> wrote:

>>> Since it's St. Paddy's day, how about 4 points for drunken leprechauns?

There’s another kind?

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

Personally I would be happy for it to be open or closed>

Open it would be a good marketing tool for the club.

Anything we can do to encourage the use of PSK31 is only for the good.

I think that at this late stage of the game this year it would be best to leave it as it is and make the change in 2019.

If we are going to open it up, and require member numbers we will have to standardize the entry for non members_maybe 0000.

Best

John KE4JB

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:14 PM, Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:

Hey, y'all - I was just chatting with Bruce Horn of WA7BNM Contest Calendar/contestcalendar.com fame about the ST Patrick's Day contest being a closed, member's only contest.

Why is it closed? Just because it always has been? Would anybody have any objection to opening up the contest to the masses, unwashed or or not?

I'm in favor of the idea, but I'd like to hear any detractor's points of view as well.

I didn't just want to "make it so" without some discussion and input from the members on the matter. Please, let's discuss the pros and cons of making it a public contest.

73

Matt King

AK4MK - 070 #1708

PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

Somebody's got to do it. Might as well be me.

On Mar 12, 2018 3:15 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Are you volunteering ?

Jerry
n9avy

[...]

My wife went to Ireland a few years ago and stayed in a castle. Now she thinks she's a princess. Does that qualify me?

On Mar 12, 2018 3:43 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
[...]

A few years ago my Daughter was passing by one of those "Medieval Times" castles/restaurant places which ooks like a huge castle.  Any her Daughter ( about 5 or 6 yrs) asked her what that place was and she was told she was born there.  After that she went around saying she a a Princess born in a castle !   Now she's 20  and denies it !

Jerry

[...]

chris g7ogx

Matt, Over here it can be very lonely trying to take part in a closed test.  I have experience of that test and I have had people trying to join in and, “give me some points”.  To then say thanks but it is only for members is in my opinion too elitist and could be construed as unfriendly.  I cannot see the benefit of a closed test. Thanks for your work.  Chris G7OGX #827

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

stan W9SMR

I echo Chris' comments. I had a long QSO with a local ham (N3SC) just getting active again and anxious to join the 070. I had to apologize that the big St. Paddy contest was members only and she would be lucky to get many QSOs toward her 50 required.

I vote to open it up.

73,
Stan
W9SMR

[...]

Yes, more is better.  I also strongly am in favor of ‘include-all-callers’ contests.