It pays to double check Eqsl

Jerry N9AVY

Ran through Eqsl and noticed a suspicious QSL from an EA5 on PSK31 from 1983.  Checked against log and there was no sign of that EA5.  Didn't get on PSK31 until 2000, so I rejected it.  Either it was an honest mistake or someone was trying to pull a fast one.  Waiting to see if he comes up with a beter QSL .

Jerry  n9avy

bowerjohn41 <poppajohnbower@...>

If I get suspicious Eqsl's I always check my LOTW contact look up before confirming or deleting.
Bands seem to be livening up lets hope that bodes well for St Paddy's day.
Guinness and Murphy's Stout to the ready. May be a little Black Bush as well.

John KE4JB

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 8:03 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Ran through Eqsl and noticed a suspicious QSL from an EA5 on PSK31 from 1983.  Checked against log and there was no sign of that EA5.  Didn't get on PSK31 until 2000, so I rejected it.  Either it was an honest mistake or someone was trying to pull a fast one.  Waiting to see if he comes up with a beter QSL .

Jerry  n9avy

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

Guinness!  Here Hear!!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 08:50 AM, bowerjohn41 wrote:

If I get suspicious Eqsl's I always check my LOTW contact look up before confirming or deleting.
Bands seem to be livening up lets hope that bodes well for St Paddy's day.
Guinness and Murphy's Stout to the ready. May be a little Black Bush as well.

John KE4JB

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 8:03 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Ran through Eqsl and noticed a suspicious QSL from an EA5 on PSK31 from 1983.  Checked against log and there was no sign of that EA5.  Didn't get on PSK31 until 2000, so I rejected it.  Either it was an honest mistake or someone was trying to pull a fast one.  Waiting to see if he comes up with a beter QSL .

Jerry  n9avy

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

I've seen a few of those.  I was operating at the time but no record of the Eqsl contact.  Someone probably saw the Q and decided to make it their own.

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 08:03 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Ran through Eqsl and noticed a suspicious QSL from an EA5 on PSK31 from 1983.  Checked against log and there was no sign of that EA5.  Didn't get on PSK31 until 2000, so I rejected it.  Either it was an honest mistake or someone was trying to pull a fast one.  Waiting to see if he comes up with a beter QSL .

Yup,  famous words, "I think I worked him "

Jerry  n9avy

I've seen a few of those.  I was operating at the time but no record of the Eqsl contact.  Someone probably saw the Q and decided to make it their own.

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 08:03 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Ran through Eqsl and noticed a suspicious QSL from an EA5 on PSK31 from 1983.  Checked against log and there was no sign of that EA5.  Didn't get on PSK31 until 2000, so I rejected it.  Either it was an honest mistake or someone was trying to pull a fast one.  Waiting to see if he comes up with a beter QSL .

Jerry  n9avy

Irv [K3IRV] McWherter

Yet another substantiated reason for simple old paper QSL's and LOTW, because there are so many people who will not do paper QSLs.

Irv - N3IRV

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 9:08 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Yup,  famous words, "I think I worked him "

Jerry  n9avy

I've seen a few of those.  I was operating at the time but no record of the Eqsl contact.  Someone probably saw the Q and decided to make it their own.

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 08:03 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Ran through Eqsl and noticed a suspicious QSL from an EA5 on PSK31 from 1983.  Checked against log and there was no sign of that EA5.  Didn't get on PSK31 until 2000, so I rejected it.  Either it was an honest mistake or someone was trying to pull a fast one.  Waiting to see if he comes up with a beter QSL .

Plain old hard cards are going the way of the dinosaur because it's an inconvenience when you can click on electronic log to QSL  or have the log QSL every bloomin' contact automatically . This seems to be a trend with the newer crop of operators.

Having electronic logs is a convenience and if anyone else has writing like mine it's a necessity !  Running a contest with a paper log is a nightmare...been there, done that. When electronic logs came about they were great. Also came the additional convenience of being able to print out labels for contacts so all one had to do was stick labels on QSLs and send the out. Postage is a problem with all the postal increases and bureaus are almost as expensive; so many choose LoTW and/or Eqsl... it's a cheap alternative.

Also many QSL card printers have gone out of business.  Remember the first thing new hams did "way back when" was to order 100  QSLs ... those were the days when after your actual license came in the mail (no internet then !) that within a couple weeks you'd be getting mail from QSL printers !

That pretty much stopped with the advent of the internet. Lots of things that used to be disappeared with the internet , it was a mixed blessing.

I've seen a few of those.  I was operating at the time but no record of the Eqsl contact.  Someone probably saw the Q and decided to make it their own.

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 08:03 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Ran through Eqsl and noticed a suspicious QSL from an EA5 on PSK31 from 1983.  Checked against log and there was no sign of that EA5.  Didn't get on PSK31 until 2000, so I rejected it.  Either it was an honest mistake or someone was trying to pull a fast one.  Waiting to see if he comes up with a beter QSL .

Jerry-
I remember those solicitations from card printers.  Think they started arriving about 2 weeks after the license and the address had my call on it!  In fact, if memory serves, one of them included 10 "sample cards" all printed up with my call and info!  I think I ordered my 100 from them.  Sure wish I had saved one of those original cards.

Dilly dilly

JIM K5SP

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 08:50 AM, bowerjohn41 wrote:

If I get suspicious Eqsl's I always check my LOTW contact look up before confirming or deleting.
Bands seem to be livening up lets hope that bodes well for St Paddy's day.
Guinness and Murphy's Stout to the ready. May be a little Black Bush as well.

John KE4JB

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 8:03 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Ran through Eqsl and noticed a suspicious QSL from an EA5 on PSK31 from 1983.  Checked against log and there was no sign of that EA5.  Didn't get on PSK31 until 2000, so I rejected it.  Either it was an honest mistake or someone was trying to pull a fast one.  Waiting to see if he comes up with a beter QSL .

Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

B C <k9wis@...>

I can recreate cards if you have one that is filled out...I use GIMP to scrub out any written data on the card and create a blank one..Then I can make a template with 4 up on a sheet that you can print on you printer or take to office max.

Brian K9WIS

=============
--
*Rick - N7WE*
*070 - #1602*

B C <k9wis@...>

I get a lot of those from FT8 ops that get one or two fragments of the exchange and think its a 'good contact'.
Brian K9WIS

---- Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

=============
Yup,  famous words, "I think I worked him "
Jerry  n9avy

I've seen a few of those.  I was operating at the time but no record of the Eqsl contact.  Someone probably saw the Q and decided to make it their own. JoeKA1PPV #1482   On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 08:03 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Ran through Eqsl and noticed a suspicious QSL from an EA5 on PSK31 from 1983.  Checked against log and there was no sign of that EA5.  Didn't get on PSK31 until 2000, so I rejected it.  Either it was an honest mistake or someone was trying to pull a fast one.  Waiting to see if he comes up with a beter QSL .

Any QSO with a valid call sign exchange (signal report doesn't count for much since everyone sends 599) is good enough. Everything else is frosting on the cake.

n9avy

I've seen a few of those.  I was operating at the time but no record of the Eqsl contact.  Someone probably saw the Q and decided to make it their own. JoeKA1PPV #1482   On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 08:03 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Ran through Eqsl and noticed a suspicious QSL from an EA5 on PSK31 from 1983.  Checked against log and there was no sign of that EA5.  Didn't get on PSK31 until 2000, so I rejected it.  Either it was an honest mistake or someone was trying to pull a fast one.  Waiting to see if he comes up with a beter QSL .
Jerry  n9avy

David, K9DWR

Ahh, but the point is “valid call sign exchange”

Without a proper verification that you got the call correctly, it isn’t worth the radio waves it travelled on.

David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

On Mar 12, 2018, at 15:00, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Any QSO with a valid call sign exchange (signal report doesn't count for much since everyone sends 599) is good enough. Everything else is frosting on the cake.

n9avy

Jerry N9AVY

Think the original question was "was there PSK31 in 1983 ???"

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

> On Mar 12, 2018, at 15:00, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
>
> Any QSO with a valid call sign exchange (signal report doesn't count for much since everyone sends 599) is good enough. Everything else is frosting on the cake.
>
> n9avy

Jerry N9AVY

If station sends his call a few times, you can usually piece it all together ?

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

VA7GEM-1470 <boat.anchor@...>

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 01:00 pm, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Any QSO with a valid call sign exchange (signal report doesn't count for much since everyone sends 599) is good enough. Everything else is frosting on the cake.

n9avy

Jerry
I always operate on the premise of two pieces of exchange - callsign plus anything, even 73
best regards
Barry