40m in IL

Jerry N9AVY

Not looking good today.   Had a nice ragchew with a station in Arkansas because there was no one else on.  Then work a couple others, but copy was very rough !!!  Got a station is ID who was about 10% copy and then worked Sheri, WB4OSU, in NC ... yippee a new 070 #  !!!

Meanwhile, every time I looked at 20m it was full of weird signals which I assumed to be PSK63 for whatever contest is in progress. Don't have whatever mode it is; so been staying on 40m which turns out to provide some interesting & surprising contacts although with a lot of deep fading. With the shape 40m is in now, I assume QRP is probably not a great idea because I could see traces and partial calls on waterfall, but just not enough to make a QSO. BTW , am running auto CQ when you see  my call 3 times and it will not unlock on really weak signals... nature of the beast I guess.

40m was lokking good this last week with signals coming in around 1300 - 1400 UTC. Sure hope to make a few more contacts before summer static makes it even worse.

Jerry  n9avy

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

Jerry,
There is an EA PSK63 contest on this weekend.  Seeing lots of them here.

Saw you calling CQ on 40m but didn't want to interrupt in case some DX came in.  It seems to be really hit or miss these days but generally there seems to be more sigs and a bit stronger than in recent months. Hopefully it is the start of a trend. You had a good sig into CT though.

See ya.
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 11:18 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

[...]

Joe:

Would have appreciated the call.  Bands are just WEIRD !   One minute a station is 599 then gone and a few minutes later back to 599. Between 40/20m I've made a few contacts, but the days when I'd put 50  or so Europeans in log seems like another world.  Was kind of hoping to see Wiscowsin stations in WI QSO Party, but guess they all eating brats & drinking beer.

Did manage to work WM3PEN for PA's 337th Birthday Special Event.  He even heard me with my beam pointing out West... lots of Europeans have seems stronger with beam pointed in Westerly direction - longpath, wrongpath or is my antenna flaky ?

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

VA7GEM-1470 <boat.anchor@...>

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:00 pm, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Joe:

Was kind of hoping to see Wiscowsin stations in WI QSO Party, but guess they all eating brats & drinking beer.

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry

Do they really eat their brats in Wisconsin. Out here on the left coast we
just make them stand in the corner.

Barry

Jerry N9AVY

It's kind of like "Tots for Tots" to German speakers .

Jerry

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:00 pm, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Joe:

Was kind of hoping to see Wiscowsin stations in WI QSO Party, but guess they all eating brats & drinking beer.

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry

Do they really eat their brats in Wisconsin. Out here on the left coast we
just make them stand in the corner.

Barry

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

It could be longpath.  Last week I saw a station from BC talking to a JA.  I was able to see both sides in fact the JA was a bit stronger. You are right about the QSB.  I hear lots of Hams complaining about it and asking "Are you still there?"
I remember the good old days because I have a logbook full of Euros because they were so easy to work.
Now it is much tougher to do.
I should invent a much larger Flux Capacitor.
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 03:00 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

[...]

Barry,
We eat brats out here.  Very tasty with biscuits and gravy. yum!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 03:42 PM, VA7GEM-1470 via Groups.Io wrote:

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:00 pm, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Joe:

Was kind of hoping to see Wiscowsin stations in WI QSO Party, but guess they all eating brats & drinking beer.

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry

Do they really eat their brats in Wisconsin. Out here on the left coast we
just make them stand in the corner.

Barry

Jerry N9AVY

Joe:

FB on QSB  ... almost like that ad , "Can you hear me now ???"

jerry n9avy

[...]

Bratwurst , yum !   Beer goes well with them and maybe some sauerkraut.
Jerry

We eat brats out here.  Very tasty with biscuits and gravy. yum!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 03:42 PM, VA7GEM-1470 via Groups.Io wrote:

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:00 pm, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Joe:

Was kind of hoping to see Wiscowsin stations in WI QSO Party, but guess they all eating brats & drinking beer.

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry

Do they really eat their brats in Wisconsin. Out here on the left coast we
just make them stand in the corner.

Barry

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

Reminds me of when I served in Germany.  Great food and beers good people it was a very nice tour.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 08:32 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Bratwurst , yum !   Beer goes well with them and maybe some sauerkraut.
Jerry

We eat brats out here.  Very tasty with biscuits and gravy. yum!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 03:42 PM, VA7GEM-1470 via Groups.Io wrote:

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:00 pm, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Joe:

Was kind of hoping to see Wiscowsin stations in WI QSO Party, but guess they all eating brats & drinking beer.

Jerry  n9avy

Jerry

Do they really eat their brats in Wisconsin. Out here on the left coast we
just make them stand in the corner.

Barry

Sherri Rapp

Hi, Jerry! It was really great to work you! I saw you call sign and was like "hey I know that guy!" Haha! Yeah, there wasn't much going on PSK yesterday. Looked like a fair number of stations on today, but no one returning CQ nor my answers to their CQ. Even FT8 was awful for me today. Got 1 QSO after a total of an hour to hour and a half of working the radio today. So awful because it was raining, then sleeting, then snowing today, which means I was stuck inside with no joy on the air. Sad.

Sherri, WB4OSU

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018, 11:18 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
[...]

Know how that feels.  Used to get on the air before sunrise and work  lots of DX, but that all changed with propagationI was so used to working wall to wall DX on 20/17/15/12/10m that I was jumping band to band.  Haven't heard a PSK signal on 17m in months.

20m was packed and I would slide down toward 14.069 and work lots of stations. Like I said 14.070 to 14.072 was wall to wal.

Was great to finally work you Sherri. Hope to see you in St Pat's Contest.

73

Jerry
n9avy