What the ....????

Jerry N9AVY

Saw K0JMJ on 20m this afternoon and decided to look up his grid square. It came up AA00aa . Huh ?  So, I decided to do a sear on grid AA00aa and what came up surprised me. Seems there are dozens of stations from all over the world located in this grid square.  But why ???    Think it might be an error either deliberate or a glitch.

Just something to do while waiting for propagation to pick up...

Jerry  n9avy

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

Jerry,
While I was waiting I turned on the radio and made an effortless contact with F6HCP (Bernard).  100% copy both ways.  It was like the old days.  After that I wandered up 20m and saw JA7OUV!  I can count on two fingers the times that I have even seen JA stations here on the East side.  I called a number of times just for the heck of it but he either faded or went QRT.  Must find a way to spend more BITC.

The times they are a changin.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 03:35 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Saw K0JMJ on 20m this afternoon and decided to look up his grid square. It came up AA00aa . Huh ?  So, I decided to do a sear on grid AA00aa and what came up surprised me. Seems there are dozens of stations from all over the world located in this grid square.  But why ???    Think it might be an error either deliberate or a glitch.

Just something to do while waiting for propagation to pick up...

Several years ago I was out East running mobile in MA and up through ME.  One thing I noticed back then was the it was much easier to get into Europe. Have also noticed that changing QTH by about 350 miles up into MN from my QTH sometimes changes propagation patterns. I guess it's like real estate people say "location..location...location.."... guess that could apply to radio ?

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Mike Flowers

I use Stu’s, K6TU, online propagation prediction service, which creates 24 maps by band – one for each hour Zulu time.

https://www.k6tu.net/

It’s amazingly accurate and shows just what Jerry says – a couple hundred miles difference can make a big difference.

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

[...]

Under usual conditions Euros from here are a piece of cake but over the last year it hasn't been that way so it is good to see the change.  After all there's nothing but water between us.  I also found that I do much better when the geo field is very quiet.  Hopefully things will improve a bit so there is a little excitement on the bands.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 05:40 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

[...]

Come down here to the vast RF wasteland called north Texas.

[...]

Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Jerry N9AVY

I'm waiting to see if Joe's qrp signal will overpower me and beat me into Europe !
Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Jim:

On 10m, y'all down in TX used to beat everyone out in the QSO Parties during last sunspot minimum. Al and the guys in and around Houston walked away with highest scores in NA.  You're probably on the Northern Edge of that propagation ! (That might make you a "yankee" , hi !  Hi !

Jerry n9avy

[...]

Well last evening (02:14) I spoke with Giovanni (IT9PZM) (40m) on his boat which is anchored in a harbor near Palermo Sicily.  We last worked way back in 2015.
This is encouraging.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 06:53 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

[...]

Jim's no Yankee.  I'll bet his favorite breakfast is sausage gravy and biscuits.  The first time that I visited relatives down South I had it for breakfast and I thought that I died and went to heaven.  I can't have it everyday but when I do it's just about the only thing better than DX. (I said just about)

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 06:57 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

[...]

Jim K5SP

Love me some biscuits and sausage gravy!  Love me some grits with butter salt and pepper.

Love Texas BBQ, favorite is from the Salt Lick in Driftwood Texas (not the round rock location).  Has been on Man V Food, Guy Fieri, and a couple other TV shows.  It's about a 4-5 hour drive from here so don't go often, but do order it shipped to the house, and it is great.  https://saltlickbbq.com/about-salt-lick/

Love my pickup Truck.  That alone shows I am not a yankee.

But would love to have the propagation that yankees have.

Jim, K5SP

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Charles Odom, KI4VMK # 2542

Hardee's around here serve biscuit with sausage gravy, pretty good.

Charles, KI4VMK
# 2542

On Mar 10, 2018, at 9:52 AM, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

[...]

Ha-ha !    Having a pick'em up  no longer makes you a Southerner.  Drove by the local car dealer here in town and everything that wasn't an SUV was a pick up !  Not a van or car in sight !

They have some good food down there, but I person ally will pass on the biscuits & gravy ... it reminds me of being at Grandma's down in Indiana when after dinner she'd toss leftovers in a dish for cat's outside and it looked just like biscuits & gravy. Poor cats probably had clogged arteries !  But that's one way to get rid of feral cats.
Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Jim,
Oh man!  I forgot grits.  No self respectin Southerner would go without grits.
There as least one Yankee up here that makes some mean grits.  It takes me about 15 minutes and then I plop butter, pepper and three sunny up eggs on top and I'm good to go.  That and biscuits and gravy........ Breakfast of champions!

I saw that very episode with Guy and boy I was droolin throughout.  I drool through most of his shows though.

You are right about one thing.... the pickup gave you away.  You will just have to setup a remote station on the East side.

See ya!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

[...]

Charles,
I ran into Dennys on my way south and they do a good job too.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM, Charles Odom, KI4VMK wrote:

[...]

Around here they mostly drive Audis, BMW or Mercedes with a Maserati thrown in here or there. They don't call it the Gold Coast for nothing. But it has been my experience that the one's that will always wave you on so you can enter traffic is a guy in a pickup.  The others,,,,nada.  They will see you and make you wait for them.  It happened to me yesterday.  I was waiting to turn into the local hardware store driveway, which is very small, and the oncoming traffic was backing up because of a red light.  The polite thing to do, since you aren't moving, would be to leave a little space so I could pull in and get out of the way.  A woman in a white Maserati pulled up almost directly in the way.  She had more than enough space to pull past because  there was at least a car length in front of her but nope had to stop right there my signal light notwithstanding!  I decided to drive around her, over the curb thanking the car behind her and drive in the parking lot.  That was just my way of saying THANK YOU. ( you can translate if you want to)

You are correct.  This has absolutely nothing to do with radio.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

[...]

Years of driving for the job have taught me that 50% of drivers are total idiots and should not be allowed to drive. The other day I was headed on an errand to next town over...it's night and I'm in a 55 mph zone when I see a vehicle on left on side road wanting to turn in the same direction I'm going. Pulling from a side road into oncoming traffic means you need to go faster than the traffic you're moving into.  So he went from zero to maybe 30 and I had to hit the brakes to keep from rear-ending him. A mile down the road he turns off. BTW, I was the only car on the road when he decided to pull out in front of me .   Where are the lasers and photon torpedoes when you need them ???

This has happened over & over again since I started driving for work 47 years ago. Can't imagine what truckers go though.

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Rick - N7WE

The one thing they don't tell you when you buy a motor home, but that everyone quickly learns, is that there are people who are COMPELLED to attempt suicide by "getting out ahead of that motor home" - regardless of how close you are or how fast you are going.  Doesn't matter if they are pulling on to a two lane highway, turning onto a city street, or merging onto the interstate.  They simply cannot live with letting you go by.  On the other hand, there is a certain excitement about locking them all up on a 28,000 pound vehicle with a 3500 pound car in tow (which locks up too!)  Had to do it many, many times.  But it sure makes a lot of stinky smelling smoke!

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

Jerry,
I commuted for 4 hrs daily for 30 years and just when I think that I had seen it all another dufus proves me wrong.  I can't tell you how many times that same thing has happened to me.  I'm travelling 60mph there is a car in the left lane just behind me, so no escape route, another one pulls up to the on ramp on the Merritt Pkwy, looks at me, waits and then decides to pull out doing 20mph.  It's a good thing I had working brakes and a horn and sometimes a finger otherwise I would have been dead a long time ago for sure.
Maybe self driving cars is the way to go because many have proven to me that they are just not up to the task.
Being retired now I have much less exposure but every once in awhile.........you know.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

[...]

Love the small of burnt rubber in the morning.  Smells like...............NASCAR!

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482