Want to be a Hero?

Rick - N7WE

Want to be a hero?  Want 070 members heaping praise upon you?  Want to be on the other end of a pile-up?  Well it can happen!  Spring and Summer are surely coming and it’s time to think about vacations and getaways.  Especially those still fighting snow, ice, and cold.  So why not include some portable operations this year and be a Grid DXpedition?

There are 11 grids (as of August 2017) in the GRIDS Endorsement that have never been logged by anyone who has submitted to the Awards Progress Checker!  This from the research Steve – W3HF – did last August.  Here’s the hot spots to think about.

DN01 and DN02.  These two grids are located on the Nevada-Oregon border.  One on each side.  Easy-Peasy to bag both on the same trip.  Good starting point is Lakeview Oregon (nice town – we’ve been there).  The grids are about 27 miles SE as the crow flies.  There are good roads to follow – albeit a few more miles – and it is great country.  Even has wild burros and an Opal mine open to the public!

DN25 and DN34 are another twofer.  Shared between Idaho and Montana, US 93 North out of Challis Idaho looks like the best approach.  US 93 follows the Salmon River, know as the River of No Return.  We've been down that road.  If you like whitewater rafting, jet boat trips, and incredible scenery…this is the Grid DXpedition for you!

DN65 and DN75 in Southeastern Montana make up another easy-to-do double dip.  Take I-90 to Crow Agency.  Take time to stop at the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument (Custer’s Last Stand).  Then take US 212 east off I-90 (about 1.5 miles south of Crow Agency) towards Broadus.  You’ll enter DN75 between Ashland and Broadus.  Again a beautiful drive.

If you are in either Great Falls Montana or Billings Montana, consider a drive on US 87.  I runs along the southern edge of DN57, another grid that has never been logged.  You will understand why Montana is called Big Sky Country as you roll across the plains!

DN52 in Wyoming should be an easy activation, but it has never been done.  Either US 287 towards Lander or US 191 towards Pinedale will take you through this grid.  Both are easy travel on good roads.  We’ve been down them many times…but that was before I got into activating grids.

A more Midwest grid is DM85.  I really don’t understand why this grid hasn’t been activated.  I-40 between Amarillo and Tucumcari runs right through it!  Find a rest stop and put it on the air.

And then there is DL88.  I understand why this one has never been activated.  It is a very small strip (about 10 miles) of land in the far southern reaches of the Big Bend National Park in Texas.   There is only one dirt road (path) in and out.  Do a Google Earth search for Talley Big Bend National Park.  In 2016 I activated DL89 from Big Bend, but never even considered the trip to DL88.  If you do this one and I work you, I’ll send you an engraved 070 Explorer plaque!  PS - carry enough water!

Finally, for those seeking a North Woods adventure, EN28 in Northern Minnesota has never been logged.  Looks like State Highway 11 from Baudette or Warroad would do it.  I’ve never been up there and would love to go.  But it is not to be.

How about going APE from one or more of these grids?  (DL88 not recommended in August!)  Even if you can’t hit one of these rare grids, if you can include some portable operations in your getaway this year, be sure to post here and you’ll get lots of action!

Why EN28 is just a "hoot and a hollar down the road a piece" from Bemidji and Thief River Falls and Grand Forks (ND).  August would be a bad time, most definitely, because of deer flies, black flies, nosee'ums,and skeeters.

Looks like many hams up there are also Techs ...checked a couple calls and they were Techs. Unless they operate 10m PSK31 there is about the same chance as a snowball....
Jerry  n9avy

[...]

Just for kicks I did a breakdown of the hams in EN28 via QRZ.com.  Here's what I found:

Technican     23

General        14

Advanced       1

Extra               8

Expired          11    (since 2016 and older)

                  __________

TOTAL           57     QRZ says 58 so I may have missed one

Possible PSK  =23

They have a club website, but looks mostly repeater oriented     http://www.lowra.com

Jerry  n9avy

Stephen Melachrinos

Techs can run 10m and 6m PSK. But maybe that's not very useful.

Just for kicks I did a breakdown of the hams in EN28 via QRZ.com.  Here's what I found:

Technican     23

General        14

Advanced       1

Extra               8

Expired          11    (since 2016 and older)

                  __________

TOTAL           57     QRZ says 58 so I may have missed one

Possible PSK  =23

They have a club website, but looks mostly repeater oriented     http://www.lowra.com

My guess is that most Tech would be on 2m/70cm repeaters.  With the shape 10m has been in the last year or so, I doubt many Tech would on 10m.

Jerry  n9avy

Techs can run 10m and 6m PSK. But maybe that's not very useful.

Just for kicks I did a breakdown of the hams in EN28 via QRZ.com.  Here's what I found:

Technican     23

General        14

Advanced       1

Extra               8

Expired          11    (since 2016 and older)

                  __________

TOTAL           57     QRZ says 58 so I may have missed one

Possible PSK  =23

They have a club website, but looks mostly repeater oriented     http://www.lowra.com

Jerry  n9avy

Stephen Melachrinos

That was the "maybe not useful" part.

My guess is that most Tech would be on 2m/70cm repeaters.  With the shape 10m has been in the last year or so, I doubt many Tech would on 10m.

Jerry  n9avy

Techs can run 10m and 6m PSK. But maybe that's not very useful.

Just for kicks I did a breakdown of the hams in EN28 via QRZ.com.  Here's what I found:

Technican     23

General        14

Advanced       1

Extra               8

Expired          11    (since 2016 and older)

                  __________

TOTAL           57     QRZ says 58 so I may have missed one

Possible PSK  =23

They have a club website, but looks mostly repeater oriented     http://www.lowra.com

Guess I should have clarified by adding to "maybe not useful" .. like screen door in a submarine.

Jerry  n9avy

My guess is that most Tech would be on 2m/70cm repeaters.  With the shape 10m has been in the last year or so, I doubt many Tech would on 10m.

Jerry  n9avy

Techs can run 10m and 6m PSK. But maybe that's not very useful.

Just for kicks I did a breakdown of the hams in EN28 via QRZ.com.  Here's what I found:

Technican     23

General        14

Advanced       1

Extra               8

Expired          11    (since 2016 and older)

                  __________

TOTAL           57     QRZ says 58 so I may have missed one

Possible PSK  =23

They have a club website, but looks mostly repeater oriented     http://www.lowra.com

Jerry  n9avy

Mike - W0TMW #2207

Well, I was about to jump on this and help someone...until I read the grid again. I'm in EM28, not EN28.

Mike - W0TMW #2207

On 03/03/2018 02:47 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Just for kicks I did a breakdown of the hams in EN28 via QRZ.com.  Here's what I found:

Technican     23

General        14

Advanced       1

Extra               8

Expired          11    (since 2016 and older)

                  __________

TOTAL           57     QRZ says 58 so I may have missed one

Possible PSK  =23

They have a club website, but looks mostly repeater oriented     MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "www." claiming to be http://www.lowra.com

Jerry  n9avy

Richard Rohrer

I have activated DM85 twice last year, once on 8/25/17 and then again on 12/21/17.  Made about 6 or so contacts.  May be going back thru there again in October 2018.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Richard Rohrer

Looking at Rick's list I will be around DN01 & DN02 during our October trip to Seattle.  Spending two weeks in Oregon on the way.  Will also be going thru DM28 and DM29 in NV on the way.  Going to visit Great Basin NP and the wildlife refuge.  I will post route when it is firmed up.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

May the propagation be with you !

Jerry  n9avy

From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Date: 3/3/18 18:55 (GMT-05:00)
To: 070Club@groups.io

That might create other problems.

Just for kicks I did a breakdown of the hams in EN28 via QRZ.com.  Here's what I found:

Technican    23

General        14

Advanced      1

Extra              8

Expired          11    (since 2016 and older)

                  __________

TOTAL          57    QRZ says 58 so I may have missed one

Possible PSK  =23

They have a club website, but looks mostly repeater oriented    http://www.lowra.com

Paul:

Some of the ones I workedmay need a rolled up newspaper .
n9avy

Just for kicks I did a breakdown of the hams in EN28 via QRZ.com.  Here's what I found:

Technican    23

General        14

Advanced      1

Extra              8

Expired          11    (since 2016 and older)

                  __________

TOTAL          57    QRZ says 58 so I may have missed one

Possible PSK  =23

They have a club website, but looks mostly repeater oriented    http://www.lowra.com

Jerry  n9avy

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

You are right Paul because I can see many individuals utilizing their new found freqs using PSK31 at their full allotted 200W.  What fun that will be.
Mentoring absolutely.
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

VA7GEM-1470 <boat.anchor@...>

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 11:35 am, Rick - N7WE wrote:

DN01 and DN02.  These two grids are located on the Nevada-Oregon border.  One on each side.  Easy-Peasy to bag both on the same trip.  Good starting point is Lakeview Oregon (nice town – we’ve been there).  The grids are about 27 miles SE as the crow flies.  There are good roads to follow – albeit a few more miles – and it is great country.  Even has wild burros and an Opal mine open to the public!

Rick
I agree this is a good one to try.
Good accommodation in Lakeview, Opals in Nevada, if ur lucky Opals at Juniper Ridge, And of course, there is the world famous
sunstone mines at Plush, OR. Vy easy to spend a week there.
Barry

Richard Rohrer

Thanks Rick for the kind words.

Looks like XYL and I will be going to St. Louis in April for an event.  Will try to activate EM43 on the way back to FL.  Will probably be around sometime between the 22nd and 24th.  I will post more details when plans are finalized.  Will be doing 20mtrs.

73

Dick – KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

Yay Dick !!!    That would be great for us grid chasers .

Jerry  n9avy