Topics

Gap Titan DX

Jim K5SP

My Gap Titan in this ice storm. No power, no radio.

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

VA7GEM-1470 <boat.anchor@...>

Jim
SRI to hear about ice storm.
Might be a big one as lost power here about same time with estimate of restoral in about 8hrs
Barry

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 08:48 am, Jim K5SP wrote:
My Gap Titan in this ice storm. No power, no radio.

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Charles Odom, KI4VMK # 2542

Being in Florida I know about loosing power, just not in an ice storm. Stay warm and safe.

Charles, KI4VMK
# 2542

Brian (N2MLP)

Been there

Good thing the GAP’S are tough antennas

And survive most storms

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

Might be a big one as lost power here about same time with estimate of restoral in about 8hrs
Barry

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 08:48 am, Jim K5SP wrote:

My Gap Titan in this ice storm. No power, no radio.

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Jim K5SP

Did my photo make it through? Not showing up on my phone which is only device I have with power at this time. House is all electric, so have nothing and it's getting cold (but not so much under this blanket).

JIM K5SP

From: Geary McDowell <ke5irk@...>
Date: 2/22/18 1:22 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: 070Club@groups.io

What?  A HAM w/o emergency backup power.  HI HI that is when I end up at the EOC 1 mile east.  Did you get a lot of ice?  We had about an inch of sleet, two heavy rains today so far, finally above freezing.
Geary, KE5IRK
Lawton-Fort Sill,OK

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:48 AM, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:
My Gap Titan in this ice storm. No power, no radio.

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Jerry N9AVY

Looks like you need a chain saw for all those trees.  Bzzz... an antenna is safe.

Probably would have been a good idea to have one of those tilt over base plates for the GAP.  Remember seeing them somewhere recently.  Might be a good investment  about $150 for cheaper model and almost $500 for the really good one.   Probably best to just replace the bent section .

Hate ice storms. Had one a few years ago and the yagi elements went inverted U-shape; fortunately they thawed out back into shape.

Good luck Jim !

Jerry  n9avy

[...]

bowerjohn41 <poppajohnbower@...>

So sorry to hear you news, up to now we have got about 5” snow today in central NY,, heavy stuff, expect freezing rain tomorrow. It was nearly 70f yesterday! Crazy WX.
John KE4JB

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 3:28 PM Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:
[...]

Fr Richard R

Wow, nice weather......!!!!

I have a wonderful Titan; it is still in the box...... been that way for a couple of years.... keep saying I am going to assemble it (maybe somebody close will volunteer) ...... been using wires forever.....
WX may be getting nicer in next month or so, maybe then.....

Fr Richard
WB8YXF

On Thursday, February 22, 2018, 3:43:41 PM EST, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

[...]

Lewis Karriker (Sonny) - K4ARE - #2347

WOW! Jim - sorry to hear this - have been there myself and I know how tough it is.  Best of luck in the recovery - Lewis, K4ARE

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:15 am, VA7GEM-1470 wrote:
Jim
SRI to hear about ice storm.
Might be a big one as lost power here about same time with estimate of restoral in about 8hrs
Barry

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 08:48 am, Jim K5SP wrote:
My Gap Titan in this ice storm. No power, no radio.

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director
Power on agn es wrkg 20M
Barry

Geary McDowell

WOW, I do NOT like ice, Gainsville got it a LOT worse than Lawton-Fort Sill, this time.  I prefer tornadoes any day.  HI HI
Geary, KE5IRK

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 2:28 PM, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:
[...]

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

Jim,
Sorry to hear about the bad weather.  Ice is the worst.  If I didn't know better I'd swear that your QTH was in New England.
John got 5 inches of snow but we were below the snow and ice line so all we got was rain.  We are very thankful for that.  Temp on Wednesday was 70 F which broke a long-standing record.  This is really weird for February in New England.  We dodged a bullet but we are not resting easy.  There's a saying up here that "If you don't like the weather...just wait a minute."  We are waiting.

Good luck with the clean-up and repairs.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482