Topics

5 signals simultaneously ???

Jerry N9AVY

Well this is just a bit weird and seems like we're just one step away from making operator obsolete....  from 425 DX Bulletin

FT8 DXPEDITION MODE ---> A "Release Candidate" version (WSJT-X v1.9.0-rc1)
of the WSJT-X digimode software is due to be released later this month. It
will introduce a new "FT8 DXpedition Mode", whose basic goal is to enable
DXpeditions to make FT8 QSOs at the highest possible rates. The DXpedition
station (the "Fox") will be able to transmit up to five signals
simultaneously, and contact multiple calling stations (the "hounds") at the
same time. The new mode will permit contacts to be completed with as little
as one Fox transmission per contact, and sustained rates of several hundred
QSOs/hour are expected to be possible. Making FT8 QSOs with KH1/KH7Z (this
summer's expedition to Baker Island) will require the DXpedition and
everyone trying to work them to use the new version of WSJT-X. A draft of
the "FT8 DXpedition Mode User Guide" can be found at

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/FT8_DXpedition_Mode.pdf.

Charles Odom, KI4VMK # 2542

Wow, that is crazy

Charles, KI4VMK
# 2542

On Feb 10, 2018, at 9:49 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Flowers

Yup.   For DXpeditions, it’s all about the QSO rate.  So ‘best case’ for with this new version is about 300 Qs an hour, which amounts to the highest QSO rate for a digital mode that I know of.

I can only imagine what is going to happen when "FT8 DXpedition Mode" is released into the wild … :>0

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

[...]

Stephen Melachrinos

I saw that. As I understand it, FT8 QSOs are pretty much automated once the operator selects the callsign of the other station. This allows the DXped operator to run 5 QSOs in parallel, since s/he is pretty much an observer for most of the process.

Where it gets interesting is that technically this means five signals on the band at one time. That's not a problem for DXing, but could violate some contest rules.

[...]

"...into the wild..."

I wonder whether JT will limit the distribution of the DXped Mode software. It seems to me that if it's truly a public distribution, then individuals may want to use it on a more casual basis, just to increase QSOs. And that could lead to chaos.

I can only imagine what is going to happen when "FT8 DXpedition Mode" is released into the wild … :>0

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

Brian (N2MLP)

Will see how many knuckleheads start  using  it every day

[...]

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>

Steve
In my experience "if it can happen ... it will happen"
Paul nu4c

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Date: 2/10/18 12:02 (GMT-05:00)
To: 070Club@groups.io

[...]

One about every 20 Hz.

[...]

B C <k9wis@...>

Gee. I can transmit more than that at a time just by cranking up the drive and filling the band with sidebands...hi hi
Brian K9WIS

---- Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[...]

We have enough people doing that already.

Jerry  n9avy