Date   

Re: 40M

VA7GEM -1470 <boat.anchor@...>
 

Randy True
10:38am   

I'm a "No Coder", so I don't totally agree with that statement for personal reasons.
It's mostly common greed. "W'll just use their bandwidth, they don't use it"
Randy W4RTT


It's all part of the game Randy and this is called Karma.
I resent being called an FT8 puke by you recently.
Cheers and work anyone you can with whichever mode works for you.
There really is lots of room for everyone to play nice.
Barry


Re: HF Verticals

Jim K5SP
 

Well, when I posed this question, I expected some differences of opinions (and we all know what opinions are like).  I have been given some great ideas to think on, and will use all of your inputs to determine what is the best route for me.  Turned 75 last week, so am not allowed on ladders, the roof, or anything else more than 1 foot off the ground, (tried it, but the xyl caught me, and DO NOT want to face that wrath again). 

Will ponder on this for awhile, but am liking the idea of the vertical with 4' rods in place of radials. 

Thanks for all for taking the time to respond with your thoughts, it is appreciated.

73,

Jim K5SP

On 3/24/2019 3:51 PM, Jim K5SP wrote:
Well, after 20 years of faithful service, a storm raged through the other evening, and my GAP Titan DX is barely usable.  The top portion was bent over at about a 30 degree angle, and the rods are broken and twisted.  Some connections have completely broken off.  I still have my wire that I can use, but would like to get another vertical for 80-10 meters.  The Titan is mounted on a TV mast that is in a tripod on the ground. 

Problems:  Deed restrictions, no towers, wasn't supposed to have this Gap Titan, but no one has complained in 20 years.  Limited space, no radials.  No guys would be ideal. 

Would appreciate any comments, suggestions that would get the Titan DX replaced. 
--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director


Re: 30 meter activity

Jim K5SP
 

I will try to be on at 0000Z

Jim K5SP

On 3/25/2019 3:12 PM, Richard Rohrer wrote:
Hi Paula,

If you want to try 30 mtrs again let me know.  I will try to be on the air then. 

73
Dick - KC3EF

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director


Re: HF Verticals

Jerry N9AVY
 

Geary:

 

Think you should ask questions about HF here on the reflector because there are several who have lots of knowledge about HF and should be able to point you in right direction.  Many of us probably didn’t know much about HF antennas when we started out, but we picked up what we needed to know as we went along.  Most hams are will to share their knowledge because there are no “secrets”. 

 

If you have an analyzer, a very handy tool, you can check your antennas every time you run into problems.   When I first got into hobby, many of the old timers told me that any SWR under 2.1: 1 was acceptable.  An analyzer will tell you impedance and some other stuff like what frequency the antenna is resonant. 

 

As for your soil conductivity I’m not familiar with Oklahoma so I really can’t comment. Bury some radials under the vertical… as many as you can get …  sounds like you have vertical on 4 ft. mast… not sure about that… my vertical is mounted as close to ground as I can get it (also helps with wind).

 

My set up is a 40 ft. tower next to back of house, a dual sloper (Alpha-Delta DX-A) running from tower to back of yard & to a tree in front yard, and then the vertical ground mounted in back yard

 

Jerry  n9avy

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Geary McDowell
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 10:21 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] HF Verticals

 

Hey Jim!

Bummer for sure.  I had a 5BTV roped to a fence once as we get so much wind here I did not like the way it whipped so much.  The fence went down and I had a vertical with a 45 bow in it. HI HI  NO restrictions here, well the city says 32-foot tower and a city expensive permit, but I am lucky to have radio-friendly neighbors as they contact me during severe wx since our local TV station is so horrible and I am the NCS for our local/county storm team.  Anyway, seems to me like most theory can be thrown out with the bathwater. I have a little radio background with business bands, but surely do NOT know near as much a those here who have been HAMs from way back when you had to build your equipment instead of just order it.  It is amazing my broken little low power (well, I never know what power it is going to put out) and set even gets out.  I have three HF antennas up, two Alpha Delta wires running perpendicular with each other and a 6BTV ground mounted with 120 radials.  I have operated with and without radials and I am not convinced they help, here anyway.  Our soil is really bad even on the four-foot post, I still added an eight-foot ground rod and water it often.  My radials average 14 feet, NOT resonant, just filled in all I could in the space I had without going really short on one side and really long on the other.  The antennas seem to take turns as to which one or two are going to work that day, sometimes they all work okay.  HI HI  When looking to put up an HF antenna that would be neighbor friendly, and ordinance friendly, I read a LOT on fence antennas, that runs along the bottom of one's fence and the ones along one's roof line.  Lots of options as you well know.  I am not much help as 99% of what I know about HF HAM radio is self-taught as I can get no help here more or less.  I too will be interested to see what you end up with as I am always looking at options to tweak my little station without putting up a beam larger than my roof.  HI HI

73 Geary KE5IRK

Lawton-Fort Sill, OK

 

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 3:51 PM Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

Well, after 20 years of faithful service, a storm raged through the other evening, and my GAP Titan DX is barely usable.  The top portion was bent over at about a 30 degree angle, and the rods are broken and twisted.  Some connections have completely broken off.  I still have my wire that I can use, but would like to get another vertical for 80-10 meters.  The Titan is mounted on a TV mast that is in a tripod on the ground. 

Problems:  Deed restrictions, no towers, wasn't supposed to have this Gap Titan, but no one has complained in 20 years.  Limited space, no radials.  No guys would be ideal. 

Would appreciate any comments, suggestions that would get the Titan DX replaced. 
--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director


 

--

When all else fails, Amateur Radio works.

 


Re: 40M

Jerry N9AVY
 

Randy:

 

I don’t think I was slamming “no coders”.  More appropriately, the attitudes of SOME very few individuals (0.5 %) who slipped in and don’t play well with others.  The majority of no coders have turned out to be fine operators.  Myself, I’m a 13 wpm Extra, hi !  hi!

 

There are those very few who need a lesson in manners, but that’s hard to do unless you can smack ‘em with a 2 x 4 to get their attention   😊 !    Mostly just try to avoid them.

 

All the 070 ops are decent operators and should serve as models for the new guys.

 

Jerry  n9avy

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Randy True
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 12:38 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] 40M

 

I'm a "No Coder", so I don't totally agree with that statement for personal reasons.

It's mostly common greed. "W'll just use their bandwidth, they don't use it"

 

Randy W4RTT

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 10:08 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] 40M

 

It mostly went out with CW requirements and easy tests.  Also, with some ops who think they know everything.

 

Jerry  n9avy

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Dan Morris
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 8:46 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] 40M

 

Don’t feel bad. They have also invaded 7.055-7.059 in the CW area and they are loud and just pop up regardless of who is on frequency.  What happened to common courtesy of an QRL? anymore?

Dan Morris KZ3T


On Mar 24, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Well, I give up. The ft8 pukes have totally invaded our 40M section.

 

Randy W4RTT

 

 


Re: 30 meter activity

Richard Rohrer
 

Hi Paula,

If you want to try 30 mtrs again let me know.  I will try to be on the air then. 

73
Dick - KC3EF


Re: 40M

Randy True
 

I'm a "No Coder", so I don't totally agree with that statement for personal reasons.
It's mostly common greed. "W'll just use their bandwidth, they don't use it"

Randy W4RTT


From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 10:08 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] 40M
 

It mostly went out with CW requirements and easy tests.  Also, with some ops who think they know everything.

 

Jerry  n9avy

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Dan Morris
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 8:46 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] 40M

 

Don’t feel bad. They have also invaded 7.055-7.059 in the CW area and they are loud and just pop up regardless of who is on frequency.  What happened to common courtesy of an QRL? anymore?

Dan Morris KZ3T


On Mar 24, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Well, I give up. The ft8 pukes have totally invaded our 40M section.

 

Randy W4RTT

 


Re: 30m

WA7ETE #872 <artcase@...>
 

Good idea I?m all in. 
WA7ETE 
#872

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 9:14 AM Paul NU4C <nu4c@...> wrote:
I had a pipeline to IL last evening. Worked n9avy, n0lmt, and kb9umt (who was kind enough to relay my greetings to n7we. Rick, someday we will work direct)
However, I did not see or hear even a whisper of another signal.
We ought to do this regularly. Maybe the third Sunday of every month @ 00:00. Call it 30-070 nite.
73
Paul NU4C 



Sent from my Galaxy Tab? A

-------- Original message --------
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Date: 3/24/19 20:20 (GMT-05:00)
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: [070Club] 30m

Just worked N7WE  &  NU4C   good QSOs.

 

 

Jerry    n9avy

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

--
Steve Case


Re: 30m

Paul NU4C <nu4c@...>
 

I had a pipeline to IL last evening. Worked n9avy, n0lmt, and kb9umt (who was kind enough to relay my greetings to n7we. Rick, someday we will work direct)
However, I did not see or hear even a whisper of another signal.
We ought to do this regularly. Maybe the third Sunday of every month @ 00:00. Call it 30-070 nite.
73
Paul NU4C 



Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

-------- Original message --------
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Date: 3/24/19 20:20 (GMT-05:00)
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: [070Club] 30m

Just worked N7WE  &  NU4C   good QSOs.

 

 

Jerry    n9avy

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Re: HF Verticals

Geary McDowell
 

Hey Jim!
Bummer for sure.  I had a 5BTV roped to a fence once as we get so much wind here I did not like the way it whipped so much.  The fence went down and I had a vertical with a 45 bow in it. HI HI  NO restrictions here, well the city says 32-foot tower and a city expensive permit, but I am lucky to have radio-friendly neighbors as they contact me during severe wx since our local TV station is so horrible and I am the NCS for our local/county storm team.  Anyway, seems to me like most theory can be thrown out with the bathwater. I have a little radio background with business bands, but surely do NOT know near as much a those here who have been HAMs from way back when you had to build your equipment instead of just order it.  It is amazing my broken little low power (well, I never know what power it is going to put out) and set even gets out.  I have three HF antennas up, two Alpha Delta wires running perpendicular with each other and a 6BTV ground mounted with 120 radials.  I have operated with and without radials and I am not convinced they help, here anyway.  Our soil is really bad even on the four-foot post, I still added an eight-foot ground rod and water it often.  My radials average 14 feet, NOT resonant, just filled in all I could in the space I had without going really short on one side and really long on the other.  The antennas seem to take turns as to which one or two are going to work that day, sometimes they all work okay.  HI HI  When looking to put up an HF antenna that would be neighbor friendly, and ordinance friendly, I read a LOT on fence antennas, that runs along the bottom of one's fence and the ones along one's roof line.  Lots of options as you well know.  I am not much help as 99% of what I know about HF HAM radio is self-taught as I can get no help here more or less.  I too will be interested to see what you end up with as I am always looking at options to tweak my little station without putting up a beam larger than my roof.  HI HI
73 Geary KE5IRK
Lawton-Fort Sill, OK

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 3:51 PM Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:
Well, after 20 years of faithful service, a storm raged through the other evening, and my GAP Titan DX is barely usable.  The top portion was bent over at about a 30 degree angle, and the rods are broken and twisted.  Some connections have completely broken off.  I still have my wire that I can use, but would like to get another vertical for 80-10 meters.  The Titan is mounted on a TV mast that is in a tripod on the ground. 

Problems:  Deed restrictions, no towers, wasn't supposed to have this Gap Titan, but no one has complained in 20 years.  Limited space, no radials.  No guys would be ideal. 

Would appreciate any comments, suggestions that would get the Titan DX replaced. 
--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director



--
When all else fails, Amateur Radio works.


Re: HF Verticals

Richard Rohrer
 

Jeff, 

You should have lived where I do in FL.  My only restriction is that the tower can't be higher than 80 ft and has to be in the back yard.  I lived in a very restrictive area in MD for a few years and found that a loop in the attic feed by a remote tuner worked fairly well.  All of my antennas were in the attic and worked a lot of VHF/UHF including ATV.  

Jim,
I also have a Hustler vertical like Ricks and found it to work better sometimes than my 120 ft dipole or my hex beam.  Made my own tilt over mount, but did buy one of the radial plates since I did not want to spend the time drilling all of the holes.  I have also used a 23 ft wire with an auto tuner with four 25ft radials and had reasonable success with it.  The wire vertical and a 20mtr dipole were the antennas I used when first move to FL.  It is nice to have lots of trees on the property for hanging wire antennas. 

73
Dick - KC3EF


Re: HF Verticals

Jerry N9AVY
 

Jeff:  Living in a town in Northern Illinois farm country,  during hunting season it’s often advisable to wear orange .  In Wisconsin, some farmers paint “COW” on the side of their cows because many “city folk” who hunt either can’t tell a cow from a deer or are trigger happy. If you add in booze factor it get really dangerous. Walking in woods here often find deer stands in trees with ground below littered with empty Jack Daniels bottles.

 

Jerry   n9avy

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: JEFF WALSH
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 10:36 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] HF Verticals

 

Jerry 

I know firsthand about HOAs  and deed restrictions. The subdivision I lived in Florida had Zero tolerance for any kind of antenna including 18” satellite dishes when they came out. 

Definitely enjoying the freedom of rural living. 

Jerry I have 40 acres across the road you can start your own antenna farm on but remember to wear a bright orange vest during hunting season. Hi hi

Come on down 😎

 

73’s

 


On Mar 24, 2019, at 8:51 PM, Dan Morris <dbmorris315@...> wrote:

Yes, when you don’t have many options you use what you can. I have a Zero Five 27’ vertical with 40 radials all cut to 27’ and it does rather well. SWR is good on all bands except 40/80 so I purchased an LDG-KT100 and now all bands from 10-80 are less than 1.3-1 .

Dan Morris KZ3T


On Mar 24, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Jim-
What a bummer!  Sorry you lost the GAP, but look at it as a chance to change things around.  

Not sure what your lot layout is like, but I do take note of the "no radials."  That severely limits the vertical options.  My backyard is about 25' deep and 75' across.  I mounted my vertical about 12' from the house and more or less centered of the yard.  It is a Hustler 6BTV, about 24' high, which pretty much hides it behind the house from the street view.  Unguyed, but on a DX Engineering tip-over mount so I can lay it down when the lightning walks about (frequently during the season) or the winds are forecast to be strong.  For hurricanes, it comes inside along with EVERYTHING else outside.  I have 40 radials (DX Engineering Radial Plate) of various length (not cut to resonant - just what would fit) that I put down with lawn staples and let the grass suck them down.  You can't find them now.  The shortest was about 10' and the longest about 25'.  The radial field is a long way from symmetrical!  But it works pretty good.  I also added the DX Engineering 12m and 17m add-ons so I have everything from 80m thru 10m - and all less than 1:1.3 at the PSK frequencies.

If there is anyway you can get 20 or more random length radials down, I would highly recommend the Hustler.  The only gripe I have is that I can't work Paul, NU4C who is only about 68 miles from me, and other close in stations.  Takeoff angle is just too low, but it works pretty good for distance.  As they say, verticals radiate equally poorly in all directions.  But when it is all you can have, it is a whole lot better than nothing.

Good luck with the hunt.  Hope you find a solution that works even better than what you had!  Let us know what you end up with.  73,

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

 


Re: 30 meter activity

Larry Rockne #404
 

Hi All,

Missed all the activity on 30 meters yesterday. Will be on in the morning (Sunday) if anyone needs contacts.

Larry WA7HDZ #404

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 5:51 PM Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
Sorry I missed you Paula.  But thanks for instigating this "30m PSK31 Flash Mob."  It was fun!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Re: HF Verticals

JEFF WALSH
 

Jerry 
I know firsthand about HOAs  and deed restrictions. The subdivision I lived in Florida had Zero tolerance for any kind of antenna including 18” satellite dishes when they came out. 
Definitely enjoying the freedom of rural living. 
Jerry I have 40 acres across the road you can start your own antenna farm on but remember to wear a bright orange vest during hunting season. Hi hi
Come on down 😎

73’s



On Mar 24, 2019, at 8:51 PM, Dan Morris <dbmorris315@...> wrote:

Yes, when you don’t have many options you use what you can. I have a Zero Five 27’ vertical with 40 radials all cut to 27’ and it does rather well. SWR is good on all bands except 40/80 so I purchased an LDG-KT100 and now all bands from 10-80 are less than 1.3-1 .

Dan Morris KZ3T

On Mar 24, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Jim-
What a bummer!  Sorry you lost the GAP, but look at it as a chance to change things around.  

Not sure what your lot layout is like, but I do take note of the "no radials."  That severely limits the vertical options.  My backyard is about 25' deep and 75' across.  I mounted my vertical about 12' from the house and more or less centered of the yard.  It is a Hustler 6BTV, about 24' high, which pretty much hides it behind the house from the street view.  Unguyed, but on a DX Engineering tip-over mount so I can lay it down when the lightning walks about (frequently during the season) or the winds are forecast to be strong.  For hurricanes, it comes inside along with EVERYTHING else outside.  I have 40 radials (DX Engineering Radial Plate) of various length (not cut to resonant - just what would fit) that I put down with lawn staples and let the grass suck them down.  You can't find them now.  The shortest was about 10' and the longest about 25'.  The radial field is a long way from symmetrical!  But it works pretty good.  I also added the DX Engineering 12m and 17m add-ons so I have everything from 80m thru 10m - and all less than 1:1.3 at the PSK frequencies.

If there is anyway you can get 20 or more random length radials down, I would highly recommend the Hustler.  The only gripe I have is that I can't work Paul, NU4C who is only about 68 miles from me, and other close in stations.  Takeoff angle is just too low, but it works pretty good for distance.  As they say, verticals radiate equally poorly in all directions.  But when it is all you can have, it is a whole lot better than nothing.

Good luck with the hunt.  Hope you find a solution that works even better than what you had!  Let us know what you end up with.  73,
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Re: 40M

Jerry N9AVY
 

It mostly went out with CW requirements and easy tests.  Also, with some ops who think they know everything.

 

Jerry  n9avy

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Dan Morris
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 8:46 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] 40M

 

Don’t feel bad. They have also invaded 7.055-7.059 in the CW area and they are loud and just pop up regardless of who is on frequency.  What happened to common courtesy of an QRL? anymore?

Dan Morris KZ3T


On Mar 24, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Well, I give up. The ft8 pukes have totally invaded our 40M section.

 

Randy W4RTT

 


Re: HF Verticals

Dan Morris - KZ3T
 

Yes, when you don’t have many options you use what you can. I have a Zero Five 27’ vertical with 40 radials all cut to 27’ and it does rather well. SWR is good on all bands except 40/80 so I purchased an LDG-KT100 and now all bands from 10-80 are less than 1.3-1 .

Dan Morris KZ3T

On Mar 24, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Jim-
What a bummer!  Sorry you lost the GAP, but look at it as a chance to change things around.  

Not sure what your lot layout is like, but I do take note of the "no radials."  That severely limits the vertical options.  My backyard is about 25' deep and 75' across.  I mounted my vertical about 12' from the house and more or less centered of the yard.  It is a Hustler 6BTV, about 24' high, which pretty much hides it behind the house from the street view.  Unguyed, but on a DX Engineering tip-over mount so I can lay it down when the lightning walks about (frequently during the season) or the winds are forecast to be strong.  For hurricanes, it comes inside along with EVERYTHING else outside.  I have 40 radials (DX Engineering Radial Plate) of various length (not cut to resonant - just what would fit) that I put down with lawn staples and let the grass suck them down.  You can't find them now.  The shortest was about 10' and the longest about 25'.  The radial field is a long way from symmetrical!  But it works pretty good.  I also added the DX Engineering 12m and 17m add-ons so I have everything from 80m thru 10m - and all less than 1:1.3 at the PSK frequencies.

If there is anyway you can get 20 or more random length radials down, I would highly recommend the Hustler.  The only gripe I have is that I can't work Paul, NU4C who is only about 68 miles from me, and other close in stations.  Takeoff angle is just too low, but it works pretty good for distance.  As they say, verticals radiate equally poorly in all directions.  But when it is all you can have, it is a whole lot better than nothing.

Good luck with the hunt.  Hope you find a solution that works even better than what you had!  Let us know what you end up with.  73,
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Re: 40M

Dan Morris - KZ3T
 

Don’t feel bad. They have also invaded 7.055-7.059 in the CW area and they are loud and just pop up regardless of who is on frequency.  What happened to common courtesy of an QRL? anymore?

Dan Morris KZ3T

On Mar 24, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Randy True <w4rttrandy@...> wrote:

Well, I give up. The ft8 pukes have totally invaded our 40M section.

Randy W4RTT


Re: HF Verticals

Rick Sterling <KI7OIY@...>
 

That’s why I moved to north Idaho. 5 acres and no one can tell me what to do with it

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 6:02 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

No restrictions ???   You are one of the fortunate few these days.  Keep hearing a lot of complaints about hams with HOAs & CC&Rs. 

 

We should all move in with Jeff , hi ! hi !

 

Jerry  n9avy

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: JEFF WALSH
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 7:44 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] HF Verticals

 

Jim.

I have been very happy with my Zero Five vertical.

I have a 10 40 with ground plane  I tune it up with a MFJ 993B.

 

I am thinking about purchasing their 10 160 vertical and using my all metal shop as a ground plane. This antenna comes with a tilt over mounting plate.

 

I am lucky and live on 10 acres and have no restrictions.

Many choices out there and many different opinions.

 

73’s

Jeff W3WMU

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 5:40 PM, Brian Wolf Leverich <leverich@...> wrote:

>

>

> Hi Jim and all -

>

> FWIW, it sounds like you just spec'ed out another Gap Titan.  :D

>

> That has the benefit of, if you're ever hassled, letting you say with a

> straight face, "I've had this *same* antenna up for 20+ years."

>

> If you really want to change, note that a 6BTV and practically any vertical

> monopole will work against ground rods, too.

>

> If you have room to star a set of 4' ground rods buried 6" deep around the

> base of the of the antenna and you don't have really, really bad soil, the

> vertical will work fine.

>

> In fact, the Hustler BTV series originally called for a ground rod rather

> than radials.

>

> You'll just lose a smallish fraction of your power to warming the ground,

> and your take-of angle will be a bit higher than it otherwise would.

>

> A silver lining is that dropping the Q of your antenna system will give you

> broader SWR curves, so you'll probably cover all the bands except 80m with

> style and grace.

>

> 73 de Wolf WA6I

>

>

>

>> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 01:51:44PM -0700, Jim K5SP wrote:

>>

>> Problems:  Deed restrictions, no towers, wasn't supposed to have this Gap Titan,

>> but no one has complained in 20 years.  Limited space, no radials.  No guys would be ideal.

>>

>> Would appreciate any comments, suggestions that would get the Titan DX replaced.

>

>

>

 

 

 

 


Re: HF Verticals

Jerry N9AVY
 

No restrictions ???   You are one of the fortunate few these days.  Keep hearing a lot of complaints about hams with HOAs & CC&Rs. 

 

We should all move in with Jeff , hi ! hi !

 

Jerry  n9avy

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: JEFF WALSH
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 7:44 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] HF Verticals

 

Jim.

I have been very happy with my Zero Five vertical.

I have a 10 40 with ground plane  I tune it up with a MFJ 993B.

 

I am thinking about purchasing their 10 160 vertical and using my all metal shop as a ground plane. This antenna comes with a tilt over mounting plate.

 

I am lucky and live on 10 acres and have no restrictions.

Many choices out there and many different opinions.

 

73’s

Jeff W3WMU

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 5:40 PM, Brian Wolf Leverich <leverich@...> wrote:

>

>

> Hi Jim and all -

>

> FWIW, it sounds like you just spec'ed out another Gap Titan.  :D

>

> That has the benefit of, if you're ever hassled, letting you say with a

> straight face, "I've had this *same* antenna up for 20+ years."

>

> If you really want to change, note that a 6BTV and practically any vertical

> monopole will work against ground rods, too.

>

> If you have room to star a set of 4' ground rods buried 6" deep around the

> base of the of the antenna and you don't have really, really bad soil, the

> vertical will work fine.

>

> In fact, the Hustler BTV series originally called for a ground rod rather

> than radials.

>

> You'll just lose a smallish fraction of your power to warming the ground,

> and your take-of angle will be a bit higher than it otherwise would.

>

> A silver lining is that dropping the Q of your antenna system will give you

> broader SWR curves, so you'll probably cover all the bands except 80m with

> style and grace.

>

> 73 de Wolf WA6I

>

>

>

>> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 01:51:44PM -0700, Jim K5SP wrote:

>>

>> Problems:  Deed restrictions, no towers, wasn't supposed to have this Gap Titan,

>> but no one has complained in 20 years.  Limited space, no radials.  No guys would be ideal.

>>

>> Would appreciate any comments, suggestions that would get the Titan DX replaced.

>

>

>

 

 

 

 


Re: 30 meter activity

Rick - N7WE
 

Sorry I missed you Paula.  But thanks for instigating this "30m PSK31 Flash Mob."  It was fun!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

8961 - 8980 of 68346