Date   

Re: 20:47UTC 30-meters

Peter, NN9K #2629
 

21:52 UTC  Thanks to KC3FL and W3AVT for showing up on 30-meters. Very little FT-8 seen today.

--
Peter, NN9K


20:47UTC 30-meters

Peter, NN9K #2629
 

Going to spend some time on 30-meters.................
--
Peter, NN9K


Memership calls in HRD/DM780

 

the audio alert works great in Windows 10 but not Windows 7.
Anyone have any idea why ?
73 Thanks in advance
--
Dave NU4N #1657


Re: 31 Flavors scoring issues

Gary Dewey
 

I guess I essed also and thought by setting the upload time to local rather than UTC was okay.
I'm blaming the software, as it didn't doit automatically.

Gary // NI8Z #2738

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 12:37:22 PM EDT, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:


I find it hard to believe anyone would keep contest logs in anything but UTC time. In 43 years of hamming that was one one the first things i learned. My software (MixW) automatically converts local time to UTC and AI'm sure most other software does as well; if it doesn't then that software should be abandoned.

When I was a QSL manager back in the 80's (paper logs back then), Japanese stations had major problems in converting to UTC which resulted in many contacts not receiving QSLs.

If anyone is not using UTC for log keeping, it's time to get on the same page with rest of world.

Just my opinion ...

Jerry n9avy
On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 11:24:00 AM CDT, David, K9DWR <david@...> wrote:


As some of you know, there have been some oddities with scoring 31 Flavors this time around.

I’ve reviewed all the entries and there are several that show a start time of 1000

KD6FEC
N7ESU
N7RI
NI8Z
WB4JJJ
WB9AYD

I can also tell that all of these would score better if the start time is
adjusted.

While talking to a couple people, I think I’ve nailed down what is really
happening here.  It’s a combination of factors stacking up to mess up scoring.

The first factor is Local time vs UTC.  There have been a couple cases where
difficulty in making sure UTC is used when uploading is throwing off the time.
Remember that all Club Contests are always in UTC. 

The second factor is the default option for the uploader is the start of the
contest.  If that isn’t changed to reflect your individual start time, it will
use the start of the contest, which is typically not what you want for 31
Flavors due to the early AM start for most folks.

I have already made adjustments for several people while investigating this
issue.  I am making start-time adjustments for the folks listed above to
maximize their points, as I believe they are hitting one or both of the above
issues as well (some, pretty significantly).

— 
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...




Re: 31 Flavors scoring issues

Jerry N9AVY
 

Jim:

Guess I misunderstood it. Sorry. My bad.

Jerry

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 01:04:14 PM CDT, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:


Jerry, it is not a logging issue. Logs are correct, but the user is letting the default start time being their start time, and, any contacts made outside six hours of the start time are shown outside the window.  

73

Jim

On 4/14/2020 11:37 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
I find it hard to believe anyone would keep contest logs in anything but UTC time. In 43 years of hamming that was one one the first things i learned. My software (MixW) automatically converts local time to UTC and AI'm sure most other software does as well; if it doesn't then that software should be abandoned.

When I was a QSL manager back in the 80's (paper logs back then), Japanese stations had major problems in converting to UTC which resulted in many contacts not receiving QSLs.

If anyone is not using UTC for log keeping, it's time to get on the same page with rest of world.

Just my opinion ...

Jerry n9avy
On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 11:24:00 AM CDT, David, K9DWR <david@...> wrote:


As some of you know, there have been some oddities with scoring 31 Flavors this time around.

I’ve reviewed all the entries and there are several that show a start time of 1000

KD6FEC
N7ESU
N7RI
NI8Z
WB4JJJ
WB9AYD

I can also tell that all of these would score better if the start time is
adjusted.

While talking to a couple people, I think I’ve nailed down what is really
happening here.  It’s a combination of factors stacking up to mess up scoring.

The first factor is Local time vs UTC.  There have been a couple cases where
difficulty in making sure UTC is used when uploading is throwing off the time.
Remember that all Club Contests are always in UTC. 

The second factor is the default option for the uploader is the start of the
contest.  If that isn’t changed to reflect your individual start time, it will
use the start of the contest, which is typically not what you want for 31
Flavors due to the early AM start for most folks.

I have already made adjustments for several people while investigating this
issue.  I am making start-time adjustments for the folks listed above to
maximize their points, as I believe they are hitting one or both of the above
issues as well (some, pretty significantly).

— 
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...




--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director


Re: 31 Flavors scoring issues

Jim K5SP
 

Jerry, it is not a logging issue. Logs are correct, but the user is letting the default start time being their start time, and, any contacts made outside six hours of the start time are shown outside the window.  

73

Jim

On 4/14/2020 11:37 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
I find it hard to believe anyone would keep contest logs in anything but UTC time. In 43 years of hamming that was one one the first things i learned. My software (MixW) automatically converts local time to UTC and AI'm sure most other software does as well; if it doesn't then that software should be abandoned.

When I was a QSL manager back in the 80's (paper logs back then), Japanese stations had major problems in converting to UTC which resulted in many contacts not receiving QSLs.

If anyone is not using UTC for log keeping, it's time to get on the same page with rest of world.

Just my opinion ...

Jerry n9avy
On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 11:24:00 AM CDT, David, K9DWR <david@...> wrote:


As some of you know, there have been some oddities with scoring 31 Flavors this time around.

I’ve reviewed all the entries and there are several that show a start time of 1000

KD6FEC
N7ESU
N7RI
NI8Z
WB4JJJ
WB9AYD

I can also tell that all of these would score better if the start time is
adjusted.

While talking to a couple people, I think I’ve nailed down what is really
happening here.  It’s a combination of factors stacking up to mess up scoring.

The first factor is Local time vs UTC.  There have been a couple cases where
difficulty in making sure UTC is used when uploading is throwing off the time.
Remember that all Club Contests are always in UTC. 

The second factor is the default option for the uploader is the start of the
contest.  If that isn’t changed to reflect your individual start time, it will
use the start of the contest, which is typically not what you want for 31
Flavors due to the early AM start for most folks.

I have already made adjustments for several people while investigating this
issue.  I am making start-time adjustments for the folks listed above to
maximize their points, as I believe they are hitting one or both of the above
issues as well (some, pretty significantly).

— 
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...




--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director


Re: 31 Flavors scoring issues

Jerry N9AVY
 

I find it hard to believe anyone would keep contest logs in anything but UTC time. In 43 years of hamming that was one one the first things i learned. My software (MixW) automatically converts local time to UTC and AI'm sure most other software does as well; if it doesn't then that software should be abandoned.

When I was a QSL manager back in the 80's (paper logs back then), Japanese stations had major problems in converting to UTC which resulted in many contacts not receiving QSLs.

If anyone is not using UTC for log keeping, it's time to get on the same page with rest of world.

Just my opinion ...

Jerry n9avy

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 11:24:00 AM CDT, David, K9DWR <david@...> wrote:


As some of you know, there have been some oddities with scoring 31 Flavors this time around.

I’ve reviewed all the entries and there are several that show a start time of 1000

KD6FEC
N7ESU
N7RI
NI8Z
WB4JJJ
WB9AYD

I can also tell that all of these would score better if the start time is
adjusted.

While talking to a couple people, I think I’ve nailed down what is really
happening here.  It’s a combination of factors stacking up to mess up scoring.

The first factor is Local time vs UTC.  There have been a couple cases where
difficulty in making sure UTC is used when uploading is throwing off the time.
Remember that all Club Contests are always in UTC. 

The second factor is the default option for the uploader is the start of the
contest.  If that isn’t changed to reflect your individual start time, it will
use the start of the contest, which is typically not what you want for 31
Flavors due to the early AM start for most folks.

I have already made adjustments for several people while investigating this
issue.  I am making start-time adjustments for the folks listed above to
maximize their points, as I believe they are hitting one or both of the above
issues as well (some, pretty significantly).

— 
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...




31 Flavors scoring issues

David, K9DWR
 

As some of you know, there have been some oddities with scoring 31 Flavors this time around.

I’ve reviewed all the entries and there are several that show a start time of 1000

KD6FEC
N7ESU
N7RI
NI8Z
WB4JJJ
WB9AYD

I can also tell that all of these would score better if the start time is
adjusted.

While talking to a couple people, I think I’ve nailed down what is really
happening here. It’s a combination of factors stacking up to mess up scoring.

The first factor is Local time vs UTC. There have been a couple cases where
difficulty in making sure UTC is used when uploading is throwing off the time.
Remember that all Club Contests are always in UTC.

The second factor is the default option for the uploader is the start of the
contest. If that isn’t changed to reflect your individual start time, it will
use the start of the contest, which is typically not what you want for 31
Flavors due to the early AM start for most folks.

I have already made adjustments for several people while investigating this
issue. I am making start-time adjustments for the folks listed above to
maximize their points, as I believe they are hitting one or both of the above
issues as well (some, pretty significantly).


David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com


2 more for LONP

Jerry N9AVY
 

As I work my way towards that 1000 mark on LONP, I struck gold today by working 2 of our newest members. Then I missed a 3rd one who was in sequential number right between the 2. Missed the CT station yesterday as well. With poor conditions and all the fading I usually catch him just as he fades out. Guess I can't win 'em all. Just satisfied to catch the 2 . This is what the fun of PSK is all about....

Still hunting on 20m and maybe some this evening on 40m.


Jerry n9avy


Re: MFJ Anecdote

Jerry N9AVY
 

Same here. Have had 2 - Vectronics HFT-1500, MFJ 259, Ameritron ALS-600, Ameriton outdoor coax switch, Voice keyer which worked great until I stopped doing phone contests and an old MFJ-257 analyzer.
All worked well. Probably had some others, but that's all that I can remember.

Jerry N9AVY

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 02:12:52 PM CDT, Mike - W0TMW #2207 <mikew@...> wrote:


I've had a number of MFJ products over the years, mostly tuners, I'll admit, and have had zero problems. My 1990's era antenna analyzer still works, too---better than some of the new other brands when compared in the field.

Mike - W0TMW #2207

--"Lose not thy airspeed, lest the ground rises up and smites thee."  -- William Kershnerhttps://m-watson.com (Mike Watson - Writer Website)http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 4/12/20 1:57 PM, radio@... wrote:
Hello Group,I know MFJ gets a bad rap sometimes for their quality and quality control, so here is a funny little anecdote. When I first got my general ticket in 2004, my elmer gave me an old, beat up MFJ 949 Versa Tuner.  I used it for years and made thousands of contacts.   Since I was mostly using multi-band doublets, I decided to splurge on a big, expensive Palstar AT2K tuner.  Lately the variable capacitor on the output didn’t seem to be working, so today I cracked the case.  Turns out the couplers from the dials to the variable capacitors and the inductor are all cracked and damaged, the output has broken failed completely.  They appear to be made of PVC.So the moral of the story is that I am back to using my supposedly cheap, poorly-made, used MFJ 929 that has never failed in 16+ years .Go figure.  Another country heard from,73 de Eric, KG6MZS

--
Mike - W0TMW #2207


Re: MFJ Anecdote

Chuck M
 

Had purchased a MFJ-259B analyzer from SK estate sale several years ago.  Has firmware V2.21, shows year of 1998.  Worked well for first couple of years I had it, then started acting up.  Wouldn't do some of the advanced features.  

Checked with MFJ support, ordered a new chip, didn't fix problem.  So contacted MFJ again about issues.  Ended up sending it and chip in for service.  Got credit for chip I didn't need and they got it running very well.  Not perfect, but it all works with some playing around.

MFJ service guy, Jimmy Allen, knows his way around the analyzers.  Met him at the 2019 Hamvention in Xenia.

Also own several other MFJ products.  Generally have worked well for me.

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB


On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 03:24:25 PM EDT, radio@... <radio@...> wrote:


Mike;

My experience with my 259B antenna analyzer has likewise been excellent.  It has been a workhorse for me.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS


On Apr 12, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Mike - W0TMW #2207 <mikew@...> wrote:

I've had a number of MFJ products over the years, mostly tuners, I'll admit, and have had zero problems. My 1990's era antenna analyzer still works, too---better than some of the new other brands when compared in the field.

Mike - W0TMW #2207



Re: MFJ Anecdote

radio@hollywoodtitle.com <radio@...>
 

…and perhaps a fool and his money are easily parted ;-)

On Apr 12, 2020, at 12:00 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Sometimes bigger isn't better.

Jerry


Re: MFJ Anecdote

radio@hollywoodtitle.com <radio@...>
 

Mike;

My experience with my 259B antenna analyzer has likewise been excellent.  It has been a workhorse for me.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS


On Apr 12, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Mike - W0TMW #2207 <mikew@...> wrote:

I've had a number of MFJ products over the years, mostly tuners, I'll admit, and have had zero problems. My 1990's era antenna analyzer still works, too---better than some of the new other brands when compared in the field.

Mike - W0TMW #2207



Re: MFJ Anecdote

Mike - W0TMW #2207
 

I've had a number of MFJ products over the years, mostly tuners, I'll admit, and have had zero problems. My 1990's era antenna analyzer still works, too---better than some of the new other brands when compared in the field.

Mike - W0TMW #2207

--

"Lose not thy airspeed, lest the ground rises up and smites thee."
  -- William Kershner
https://m-watson.com (Mike Watson - Writer Website)
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 4/12/20 1:57 PM, radio@... wrote:

Hello Group,

I know MFJ gets a bad rap sometimes for their quality and quality control, so here is a funny little anecdote. 

When I first got my general ticket in 2004, my elmer gave me an old, beat up MFJ 949 Versa Tuner.  I used it for years and made thousands of contacts.   Since I was mostly using multi-band doublets, I decided to splurge on a big, expensive Palstar AT2K tuner.  Lately the variable capacitor on the output didn’t seem to be working, so today I cracked the case.  Turns out the couplers from the dials to the variable capacitors and the inductor are all cracked and damaged, the output has broken failed completely.  They appear to be made of PVC.

So the moral of the story is that I am back to using my supposedly cheap, poorly-made, used MFJ 929 that has never failed in 16+ years .

Go figure.  Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS



--
Mike - W0TMW #2207


Re: MFJ Anecdote

Jerry N9AVY
 

Sometimes bigger isn't better.

Jerry

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 01:58:04 PM CDT, radio@... <radio@...> wrote:


Hello Group,

I know MFJ gets a bad rap sometimes for their quality and quality control, so here is a funny little anecdote.

When I first got my general ticket in 2004, my elmer gave me an old, beat up MFJ 949 Versa Tuner.  I used it for years and made thousands of contacts.  Since I was mostly using multi-band doublets, I decided to splurge on a big, expensive Palstar AT2K tuner.  Lately the variable capacitor on the output didn’t seem to be working, so today I cracked the case.  Turns out the couplers from the dials to the variable capacitors and the inductor are all cracked and damaged, the output has broken failed completely.  They appear to be made of PVC.

So the moral of the story is that I am back to using my supposedly cheap, poorly-made, used MFJ 929 that has never failed in 16+ years .

Go figure.  Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS


KC8WSM now N7RI

Jerry N9AVY
 

Just saw him on the air with new call working N8MAR. Must have missed the update.

Jerry n9avy


MFJ Anecdote

radio@hollywoodtitle.com <radio@...>
 

Hello Group,

I know MFJ gets a bad rap sometimes for their quality and quality control, so here is a funny little anecdote.

When I first got my general ticket in 2004, my elmer gave me an old, beat up MFJ 949 Versa Tuner. I used it for years and made thousands of contacts. Since I was mostly using multi-band doublets, I decided to splurge on a big, expensive Palstar AT2K tuner. Lately the variable capacitor on the output didn’t seem to be working, so today I cracked the case. Turns out the couplers from the dials to the variable capacitors and the inductor are all cracked and damaged, the output has broken failed completely. They appear to be made of PVC.

So the moral of the story is that I am back to using my supposedly cheap, poorly-made, used MFJ 929 that has never failed in 16+ years .

Go figure. Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS


windows 10 versus Windows 7.

 

Still working on the callsign alert. works FB with Windows 10 but not Windows 7 ??
73

--
Dave NU4N #1657


Re: New call sing

Rick - N7WE
 

Jose-
Thanks for the update and congrats on your new vanity call!  l wish everyone who gets a new call would post here.  I try to keep my personal member log and DM780 alarms up to date.  You are updated my friend!  And Happy Easter and God Bless to you too!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


New call sing

WP4DT-JOSE OSUBA
 


Hello my Friends 
My new vanity NP3T
Ex.WP4DT
For your security Stay at Home!
73 good dx God bless....

José osuba

5341 - 5360 of 67709