Date   

Re: FT8 THis morning

Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...>
 

Hi, Justin

I will agree that wishing folks are QRM'd to death is terribly productive, but - while I hear what you're saying - this is a discussion list. Folks are discussing things here.

If you don't like a particular thread, please simply use your delete key.

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director




Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Justin Mattes--KC2GIK <kc2gik@...> wrote:
Would someone explain to me again how complaining on here changes
anything?? I would really like to know\

Justin,KC2GIK
>
> Yes... that was the call they discussed on the development group who
> decided to use 14.070 as an anchor.
>
> You can't fix stupid!
>
> Mike
> WM4B
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 9:59 AM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:
>
>   I made a couple of DX contacts this am so far and hearing a lot of FT8
> in the PSK band. I opened WSJTX to see who the culprits are.......all
> DX. All the stations are trying to call TY7C a DXepedition to Benin. ALl
> FT8's were F5, OK1, F6, DK8, etc.
>
> Steve
> VA3FLF
> 2301   <https://groups.io/g/070Club/leave/defanged>
>



Justin Mattes-KC2GIK
http://www.justinmattes.com







Re: FT8 THis morning

Justin Mattes--KC2GIK
 

Would someone explain to me again how complaining on here changes
anything?? I would really like to know\

Justin,KC2GIK

Yes... that was the call they discussed on the development group who
decided to use 14.070 as an anchor.

You can't fix stupid!

Mike
WM4B

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 9:59 AM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:

I made a couple of DX contacts this am so far and hearing a lot of FT8
in the PSK band. I opened WSJTX to see who the culprits are.......all
DX. All the stations are trying to call TY7C a DXepedition to Benin. ALl
FT8's were F5, OK1, F6, DK8, etc.

Steve
VA3FLF
2301 <https://groups.io/g/070Club/leave/defanged>


Justin Mattes-KC2GIK
http://www.justinmattes.com


Re: St Patrick's Day contest

Daryl
 

I'm new to the club.  I only found out about the club because of happening onto the pskfest, collecting almost all of the 50 necessary qso's, followed by a warm welcome to join.
So based on my personal experience, I would be in favor of opening it up. 
sidebar: Unfortunately, I have another family activity this weekend so I won't be able to join in the contest. :-(


Re: St Patrick's Day contest

wa3gm
 

I agree...open it up

Greg
Wa3gm



Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Dan Morris <dbmorris315@...>
Date: 3/12/18 9:04 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] St Patrick's Day contest

i say open it up!!  the more the merrier/better, any way you look at it.

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065






On Mar 12, 2018, at 6:43 PM, stan robinson <robinstan@...> wrote:

I echo Chris' comments. I had a long QSO with a local ham (N3SC) just getting active again and anxious to join the 070. I had to apologize that the big St. Paddy contest was members only and she would be lucky to get many QSOs toward her 50 required.

I vote to open it up.

73,
Stan
W9SMR
#1611

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of chris g7ogx <claninwood@...>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 6:14 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] St Patrick's Day contest
 
Matt, Over here it can be very lonely trying to take part in a closed test.  I have experience of that test and I have had people trying to join in and, “give me some points”.  To then say thanks but it is only for members is in my opinion too elitist and could be construed as unfriendly.  I cannot see the benefit of a closed test. Thanks for your work.  Chris G7OGX #827

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 6:47:42 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] St Patrick's Day contest
 
2 points for members and 1 point for non-members has always worked for other groups.  (Maybe 3 pts fer YLs !)

Open it up as soon as possible for the word to get out. Don't wait a year.

Jerry  n9avy



From: bowerjohn41 <poppajohnbower@...>
To: 


Re: FT8 THis morning

Jerry N9AVY
 

Hope TY7C gets QRMed to death ! 



From: Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [070Club] FT8 THis morning

Yes... that was the call they discussed on the development group who decided to use 14.070 as an anchor. 

You can't fix stupid!

Mike
WM4B


On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 9:59 AM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:

 I made a couple of DX contacts this am so far and hearing a lot of FT8 in the PSK band. I opened WSJTX to see who the culprits are.......all DX. All the stations are trying to call TY7C a DXepedition to Benin. ALl FT8's were F5, OK1, F6, DK8, etc.

Steve
VA3FLF



Re: FT8 THis morning

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>
 

Yes... that was the call they discussed on the development group who decided to use 14.070 as an anchor. 

You can't fix stupid!

Mike
WM4B


On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 9:59 AM, Steve R via Groups.Io wrote:

 I made a couple of DX contacts this am so far and hearing a lot of FT8 in the PSK band. I opened WSJTX to see who the culprits are.......all DX. All the stations are trying to call TY7C a DXepedition to Benin. ALl FT8's were F5, OK1, F6, DK8, etc.

Steve
VA3FLF


FT8 THis morning

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF
 

I made a couple of DX contacts this am so far and hearing a lot of FT8 in the PSK band. I opened WSJTX to see who the culprits are.......all DX. All the stations are trying to call TY7C a DXepedition to Benin. ALl FT8's were F5, OK1, F6, DK8, etc.

Steve
VA3FLF
2301


Re: FT-8 signals

Jerry N9AVY
 

Free outgoing cards ????   Where's that ?

Jerry



From: Irv [K3IRV] McWherter <irv47mc@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] FT-8 signals

Jerry:

I hope you did take advantage of free outgoings QSL cards.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 9:55 PM, Sherri Rapp <srapp7@...> wrote:
I go back and forth between PSK31 and FT8. All the time. I know for sure that I've sent PSK on FT8 frequencies and vice versa. Could be lots of honest mistakes we're seeing...hopefully? That said, I do understand the creeping of FT8  signals into well-established PSK territory. Definitely annoying. Not much or anything that can be done. 

Sherri,  WB4OSU 

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018, 6:54 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
A few minutes ago I was on 14071 and there was a FT-8 signal.  So went to 40m and there was another FT-8 sinal on 7070.  These things are like roaches , they're all over the place !!!   Need some FT-8 spray. It's bad enough they pretty much killed off 18.100  for PSK31 .  

n9avy




Re: 40m in IL

Jerry N9AVY
 

Know how that feels.  Used to get on the air before sunrise and work  lots of DX, but that all changed with propagationI was so used to working wall to wall DX on 20/17/15/12/10m that I was jumping band to band.  Haven't heard a PSK signal on 17m in months.

20m was packed and I would slide down toward 14.069 and work lots of stations. Like I said 14.070 to 14.072 was wall to wal.

Was great to finally work you Sherri. Hope to see you in St Pat's Contest.

73

Jerry
n9avy





From: Sherri Rapp <srapp7@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] 40m in IL

Hi, Jerry! It was really great to work you! I saw you call sign and was like "hey I know that guy!" Haha! Yeah, there wasn't much going on PSK yesterday. Looked like a fair number of stations on today, but no one returning CQ nor my answers to their CQ. Even FT8 was awful for me today. Got 1 QSO after a total of an hour to hour and a half of working the radio today. So awful because it was raining, then sleeting, then snowing today, which means I was stuck inside with no joy on the air. Sad. 

Sherri, WB4OSU 

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018, 11:18 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Not looking good today.   Had a nice ragchew with a station in Arkansas because there was no one else on.  Then work a couple others, but copy was very rough !!!  Got a station is ID who was about 10% copy and then worked Sheri, WB4OSU, in NC ... yippee a new 070 #  !!! 

Meanwhile, every time I looked at 20m it was full of weird signals which I assumed to be PSK63 for whatever contest is in progress. Don't have whatever mode it is; so been staying on 40m which turns out to provide some interesting & surprising contacts although with a lot of deep fading. With the shape 40m is in now, I assume QRP is probably not a great idea because I could see traces and partial calls on waterfall, but just not enough to make a QSO. BTW , am running auto CQ when you see  my call 3 times and it will not unlock on really weak signals... nature of the beast I guess.

40m was lokking good this last week with signals coming in around 1300 - 1400 UTC. Sure hope to make a few more contacts before summer static makes it even worse.

Jerry  n9avy



Re: St Patrick's Day contest

Larry Rockne #404
 


I am for opening it up too all. Like Jerry's idea that YL's = 3 points.

Larry WA7HDZ #404


Re: FT-8 signals

Irv [K3IRV] McWherter
 

Jerry:

I hope you did take advantage of free outgoings QSL cards.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 9:55 PM, Sherri Rapp <srapp7@...> wrote:
I go back and forth between PSK31 and FT8. All the time. I know for sure that I've sent PSK on FT8 frequencies and vice versa. Could be lots of honest mistakes we're seeing...hopefully? That said, I do understand the creeping of FT8  signals into well-established PSK territory. Definitely annoying. Not much or anything that can be done. 

Sherri,  WB4OSU 

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018, 6:54 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
A few minutes ago I was on 14071 and there was a FT-8 signal.  So went to 40m and there was another FT-8 sinal on 7070.  These things are like roaches , they're all over the place !!!   Need some FT-8 spray. It's bad enough they pretty much killed off 18.100  for PSK31 .  

n9avy



Re: 40m in IL

Sherri Rapp
 

Hi, Jerry! It was really great to work you! I saw you call sign and was like "hey I know that guy!" Haha! Yeah, there wasn't much going on PSK yesterday. Looked like a fair number of stations on today, but no one returning CQ nor my answers to their CQ. Even FT8 was awful for me today. Got 1 QSO after a total of an hour to hour and a half of working the radio today. So awful because it was raining, then sleeting, then snowing today, which means I was stuck inside with no joy on the air. Sad. 

Sherri, WB4OSU 

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018, 11:18 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Not looking good today.   Had a nice ragchew with a station in Arkansas because there was no one else on.  Then work a couple others, but copy was very rough !!!  Got a station is ID who was about 10% copy and then worked Sheri, WB4OSU, in NC ... yippee a new 070 #  !!! 

Meanwhile, every time I looked at 20m it was full of weird signals which I assumed to be PSK63 for whatever contest is in progress. Don't have whatever mode it is; so been staying on 40m which turns out to provide some interesting & surprising contacts although with a lot of deep fading. With the shape 40m is in now, I assume QRP is probably not a great idea because I could see traces and partial calls on waterfall, but just not enough to make a QSO. BTW , am running auto CQ when you see  my call 3 times and it will not unlock on really weak signals... nature of the beast I guess.

40m was lokking good this last week with signals coming in around 1300 - 1400 UTC. Sure hope to make a few more contacts before summer static makes it even worse.

Jerry  n9avy


Re: FT-8 signals

Sherri Rapp
 

I go back and forth between PSK31 and FT8. All the time. I know for sure that I've sent PSK on FT8 frequencies and vice versa. Could be lots of honest mistakes we're seeing...hopefully? That said, I do understand the creeping of FT8  signals into well-established PSK territory. Definitely annoying. Not much or anything that can be done. 

Sherri,  WB4OSU 

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018, 6:54 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
A few minutes ago I was on 14071 and there was a FT-8 signal.  So went to 40m and there was another FT-8 sinal on 7070.  These things are like roaches , they're all over the place !!!   Need some FT-8 spray. It's bad enough they pretty much killed off 18.100  for PSK31 .  

n9avy


Re: St Patrick's Day contest

Jim K5SP
 

Got home from hospital and read this thread. I am of the opinion that we should open it up, and help prospective members get their 50.

JIM K5SP 



Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S®6 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Dan Morris <dbmorris315@...>
Date: 3/12/18 8:04 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] St Patrick's Day contest

i say open it up!!  the more the merrier/better, any way you look at it.

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065






On Mar 12, 2018, at 6:43 PM, stan robinson <robinstan@...> wrote:

I echo Chris' comments. I had a long QSO with a local ham (N3SC) just getting active again and anxious to join the 070. I had to apologize that the big St. Paddy contest was members only and she would be lucky to get many QSOs toward her 50 required.

I vote to open it up.

73,
Stan
W9SMR
#1611

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of chris g7ogx <claninwood@...>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 6:14 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] St Patrick's Day contest
 
Matt, Over here it can be very lonely trying to take part in a closed test.  I have experience of that test and I have had people trying to join in and, “give me some points”.  To then say thanks but it is only for members is in my opinion too elitist and could be construed as unfriendly.  I cannot see the benefit of a closed test. Thanks for your work.  Chris G7OGX #827

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 6:47:42 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] St Patrick's Day contest
 
2 points for members and 1 point for non-members has always worked for other groups.  (Maybe 3 pts fer YLs !)

Open it up as soon as possible for the word to get out. Don't wait a year.

Jerry  n9avy



From: bowerjohn41 <poppajohnbower@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io 
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] St Patrick's Day contest

Personally I would be happy for it to be open or closed>
Open it would be a good marketing tool for the club.
Anything we can do to encourage the use of PSK31 is only for the good.
I think that at this late stage of the game this year it would be best to leave it as it is and make the change in 2019.
If we are going to open it up, and require member numbers we will have to standardize the entry for non members_maybe 0000.
Best
John KE4JB

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:14 PM, Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
Hey, y'all - I was just chatting with Bruce Horn of WA7BNM Contest Calendar/contestcalendar.com fame about the ST Patrick's Day contest being a closed, member's only contest.

Why is it closed? Just because it always has been?  Would anybody have any objection to opening up the contest to the masses, unwashed or or not?

I'm in favor of the idea, but I'd like to hear any detractor's points of view as well. 

I didn't just want to "make it so" without some discussion and input from the members on the matter.  Please, let's discuss the pros and cons of making it a public contest.  

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director







Virus-free. www.avg.com


--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director


Re: FT-8 signals

Charles Odom, KI4VMK # 2542
 

ARRL has some internal problems and they are not looking out for the average guy. I am QRT for today.

Charles, KI4VMK
# 2542


Re: St Patrick's Day contest

Dan Morris - KZ3T
 

i say open it up!!  the more the merrier/better, any way you look at it.

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065






On Mar 12, 2018, at 6:43 PM, stan robinson <robinstan@...> wrote:

I echo Chris' comments. I had a long QSO with a local ham (N3SC) just getting active again and anxious to join the 070. I had to apologize that the big St. Paddy contest was members only and she would be lucky to get many QSOs toward her 50 required.

I vote to open it up.

73,
Stan
W9SMR
#1611

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of chris g7ogx <claninwood@...>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 6:14 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] St Patrick's Day contest
 
Matt, Over here it can be very lonely trying to take part in a closed test.  I have experience of that test and I have had people trying to join in and, “give me some points”.  To then say thanks but it is only for members is in my opinion too elitist and could be construed as unfriendly.  I cannot see the benefit of a closed test. Thanks for your work.  Chris G7OGX #827

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 6:47:42 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] St Patrick's Day contest
 
2 points for members and 1 point for non-members has always worked for other groups.  (Maybe 3 pts fer YLs !)

Open it up as soon as possible for the word to get out. Don't wait a year.

Jerry  n9avy



From: bowerjohn41 <poppajohnbower@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io 
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] St Patrick's Day contest

Personally I would be happy for it to be open or closed>
Open it would be a good marketing tool for the club.
Anything we can do to encourage the use of PSK31 is only for the good.
I think that at this late stage of the game this year it would be best to leave it as it is and make the change in 2019.
If we are going to open it up, and require member numbers we will have to standardize the entry for non members_maybe 0000.
Best
John KE4JB

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:14 PM, Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
Hey, y'all - I was just chatting with Bruce Horn of WA7BNM Contest Calendar/contestcalendar.com fame about the ST Patrick's Day contest being a closed, member's only contest.

Why is it closed? Just because it always has been?  Would anybody have any objection to opening up the contest to the masses, unwashed or or not?

I'm in favor of the idea, but I'd like to hear any detractor's points of view as well. 

I didn't just want to "make it so" without some discussion and input from the members on the matter.  Please, let's discuss the pros and cons of making it a public contest.  

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director







Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: FT-8 signals

Jerry N9AVY
 

And that is why I jumped ship this year after serving 16 years as a QSL bureau card handler and a few years as an Official Observer.  All I ever got was my once a year Birthday card for a stinking 10% discount on their books.

n9avy



From: "Charles Odom, KI4VMK" <ki4vmk@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 7:13 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] FT-8 signals

ARRL let this get out of hand. I am really disappointed with their priorities

Charles, KI4VMK
# 2542



Re: FT-8 signals

Charles Odom, KI4VMK # 2542
 

ARRL let this get out of hand. I am really disappointed with their priorities

Charles, KI4VMK
# 2542


Re: FT-8 signals

Jerry N9AVY
 

The ARRL is part of the problem.



From: "Charles Odom, KI4VMK" <ki4vmk@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] FT-8 signals

I have voiced by concerns to the ARRL on this subject but no reply.

Charles, KI4VMK
# 2542



Re: FT-8 signals

Charles Odom, KI4VMK # 2542
 

I have voiced by concerns to the ARRL on this subject but no reply.

Charles, KI4VMK
# 2542

11981 - 12000 of 68028