Date   

Re: Anyone for 6m PSK31?

JEFF WALSH
 

I will be monitoring 6m ...50.290 .... and sending cq's 

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
#1673
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.


On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:19 PM, "John Netro-N9WVM n9wvm@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:


 
I'll be on 6 meter soon, I have the antenna all I have to get is the coax, and some clamps

N9WVM, John
#1073


On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:20 PM, "Paul nu4c@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:


 
U still here Rick. I am calling CQ on 50.290. Up about 1kc
Paul nu4c



Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

-------- Original message --------
From: "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...>
Date: 5/3/17 18:55 (GMT-05:00)
To: 070@...
Subject: [070] Anyone for 6m PSK31?

 
I've been watching the 6m action warm up.  MSK144 has been going for some time.  JT65 has also been increasing.  And this week there has been CW on Es openings!  Check out DXMaps and PSKReporter. PSK31 should be doable soon!

Anyone planning on playing on 50.290 this spring/summer?

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602





Re: Anyone for 6m PSK31?

John Netro
 

I'll be on 6 meter soon, I have the antenna all I have to get is the coax, and some clamps

N9WVM, John
#1073


On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:20 PM, "Paul nu4c@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:


 
U still here Rick. I am calling CQ on 50.290. Up about 1kc
Paul nu4c



Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

-------- Original message --------
From: "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...>
Date: 5/3/17 18:55 (GMT-05:00)
To: 070@...
Subject: [070] Anyone for 6m PSK31?

 
I've been watching the 6m action warm up.  MSK144 has been going for some time.  JT65 has also been increasing.  And this week there has been CW on Es openings!  Check out DXMaps and PSKReporter. PSK31 should be doable soon!

Anyone planning on playing on 50.290 this spring/summer?

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602



Re: Anyone for 6m PSK31?

Paul <nu4c@...>
 

U still here Rick. I am calling CQ on 50.290. Up about 1kc
Paul nu4c



Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

-------- Original message --------
From: "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...>
Date: 5/3/17 18:55 (GMT-05:00)
To: 070@...
Subject: [070] Anyone for 6m PSK31?

 

I've been watching the 6m action warm up.  MSK144 has been going for some time.  JT65 has also been increasing.  And this week there has been CW on Es openings!  Check out DXMaps and PSKReporter. PSK31 should be doable soon!


Anyone planning on playing on 50.290 this spring/summer?


Rick - N7WE

070 - #1602


Anyone for 6m PSK31?

Rick - N7WE
 

I've been watching the 6m action warm up.  MSK144 has been going for some time.  JT65 has also been increasing.  And this week there has been CW on Es openings!  Check out DXMaps and PSKReporter. PSK31 should be doable soon!


Anyone planning on playing on 50.290 this spring/summer?


Rick - N7WE

070 - #1602


Re: CE1ANF CQ'n on 20m at 20:36 zulu

ljl2002@att.net
 

Rik,

You nailed it!  That's exactly what I do.
Sometimes it's better just to make the XYL happy and mow the lawn. (That will work for very crappy prop too!)
What's that our British friends say?  Keep calm and carry on. 
The sun will come out tomorrow and your shack will be flooded with DX!

73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482


On Sunday, April 30, 2017 4:42 PM, "JEFF WALSH jeffwalsh1644@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:


 
Rick ....
   I agree with your assessment of different moods of the day.

If I am in a easy going mood that day then it is "The fun of Ham radio"
If I am not in a easy going mood that day then it I "The challenges of Ham radio"

Luckily for me I am having more fun than challenges but I do enjoy the challenges of the PODXS endorsements....hi hi .

73

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
#1673
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.


On Sunday, April 30, 2017 1:08 PM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:


 
Yes Joe, I hate it.  On days when I'm feeling forgiving and compassionate, I remind myself that propagation is not always reciprocal and tell myself "They probably couldn't see the other station calling on frequency."

On days when I'm not too understanding (most days) I tell myself "They probably saw a weak trace but couldn't decode the call.  They think if they call CQ right on the station's frequency that they will come back to them, or swing the beam, or up the power and they will bag a rare one."  Then my head goes through possible descriptors - newbie, OBB (operator behaving badly) and LID - being some of the nicer ones.

I usually hang on frequency for a while in hopes I will get another shot.  Most times I give up and spin the knob.  Then I tell myself the only person I can control is me and vow to never do what I just saw done. Deep breaths....and on to the next QSO.

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602





Welcome

Jim K5SP
 

Please join me in welcoming our new PODXS070 member(s). 

2518  Art  KA5DWI

Jim, K5SP #483
Membership Director


OT: PSK with FT-891

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>
 

Sorry for the OT post.  Been off the air for a couple years and am in the process of setting up again.

Is anyone running PSK with the FT-891 using a USB cable and the data jack on the back (direct cable – no interface). 

The manual seems a bit lacking and I’d rather not bang my head unnecessarily. 

I’d appreciate an email off-list @ mwbesemer (at) cox (dot) net.

73,

Mike

WM4B

#348


CE3SBQ CQ'n on 20M now at 21:29 Zulu

JEFF WALSH
 

 
JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
#1673
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.


Re: CE1ANF CQ'n on 20m at 20:36 zulu

JEFF WALSH
 

Rick ....
   I agree with your assessment of different moods of the day.

If I am in a easy going mood that day then it is "The fun of Ham radio"
If I am not in a easy going mood that day then it I "The challenges of Ham radio"

Luckily for me I am having more fun than challenges but I do enjoy the challenges of the PODXS endorsements....hi hi .

73

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
#1673
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.


On Sunday, April 30, 2017 1:08 PM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:


 
Yes Joe, I hate it.  On days when I'm feeling forgiving and compassionate, I remind myself that propagation is not always reciprocal and tell myself "They probably couldn't see the other station calling on frequency."

On days when I'm not too understanding (most days) I tell myself "They probably saw a weak trace but couldn't decode the call.  They think if they call CQ right on the station's frequency that they will come back to them, or swing the beam, or up the power and they will bag a rare one."  Then my head goes through possible descriptors - newbie, OBB (operator behaving badly) and LID - being some of the nicer ones.

I usually hang on frequency for a while in hopes I will get another shot.  Most times I give up and spin the knob.  Then I tell myself the only person I can control is me and vow to never do what I just saw done. Deep breaths....and on to the next QSO.

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602



Re: CE1ANF CQ'n on 20m at 20:36 zulu

Jerry N9AVY
 

Even with a beam I'll hear stations off the back and sides.  Granted that signals are weaker, but they are there.  Often I'll have beam aimed at Europe  calling CQ and get folks in Southern California answering my CQ. 

So a beam isn't always the answer. Most of your transmitted signal will hopefully go in direction you're aimed. Because beams are a horizontally polarized the noise levels will be somewhat lower than those with verticals; yes, vertical antennas are more susceptible to noise. Their are advantages to verticals such as angle of radiation and ease of installation.

When I'm on the air I get the same problems everyone else has to deal with...   2 or more signals so close together neither one can be decoded ...   when working a DX station people will suddenly start calling on top of the DX ... a station showing up with a wide signal that swamps out the waterfall ... and so on.   We all get the same problems and have to deal with them as best we can. 

Jerry n9avy #454




From: "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2017 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: [070] Re: CE1ANF CQ'n on 20m at 20:36 zulu

 
Yes Joe, I hate it.  On days when I'm feeling forgiving and compassionate, I remind myself that propagation is not always reciprocal and tell myself "They probably couldn't see the other station calling on frequency."

On days when I'm not too understanding (most days) I tell myself "They probably saw a weak trace but couldn't decode the call.  They think if they call CQ right on the station's frequency that they will come back to them, or swing the beam, or up the power and they will bag a rare one."  Then my head goes through possible descriptors - newbie, OBB (operator behaving badly) and LID - being some of the nicer ones.

I usually hang on frequency for a while in hopes I will get another shot.  Most times I give up and spin the knob.  Then I tell myself the only person I can control is me and vow to never do what I just saw done. Deep breaths....and on to the next QSO.

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602



Re: CE1ANF CQ'n on 20m at 20:36 zulu

Rick - N7WE
 

Yes Joe, I hate it.  On days when I'm feeling forgiving and compassionate, I remind myself that propagation is not always reciprocal and tell myself "They probably couldn't see the other station calling on frequency."

On days when I'm not too understanding (most days) I tell myself "They probably saw a weak trace but couldn't decode the call.  They think if they call CQ right on the station's frequency that they will come back to them, or swing the beam, or up the power and they will bag a rare one."  Then my head goes through possible descriptors - newbie, OBB (operator behaving badly) and LID - being some of the nicer ones.

I usually hang on frequency for a while in hopes I will get another shot.  Most times I give up and spin the knob.  Then I tell myself the only person I can control is me and vow to never do what I just saw done. Deep breaths....and on to the next QSO.

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Re: CE1ANF CQ'n on 20m at 20:36 zulu

ljl2002@att.net
 

Rick,
Don't ya just hate it when that happens?  I can't tell you how many times that I have been set to grab a station and they get completely wiped out or someone comes on immediately adjacent and you can't copy either one.  You would think that as narrow a signal as we have that it wouldn't happen as it does.  I think that it is proportional to the value of the DX.
I don't know why needed stations or DX stations seem to attract this attention so much.  RF magnets at work?
Condx have been really crappy here for the last few months.  The 20m band is only really open for a few hours a day but strong signals have been coming in from Europe so I guess there is hope.
73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482


On Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:56 PM, "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:


 
Thanks for the spot Jeff.  I just caught the trace and another Caribbean station started calling CQ right smack on top of him.  He's now working other stations and I only catch a bit of the CE's call sign in breaks in their QSO.  Frustrating.  But thanks for the spot.  Keep them coming.  Need all the help I can get or I'm not going to make the 20 by year end!

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602



Re: CE1ANF CQ'n on 20m at 20:36 zulu

Rick - N7WE
 

Thanks for the spot Jeff.  I just caught the trace and another Caribbean station started calling CQ right smack on top of him.  He's now working other stations and I only catch a bit of the CE's call sign in breaks in their QSO.  Frustrating.  But thanks for the spot.  Keep them coming.  Need all the help I can get or I'm not going to make the 20 by year end!

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


CE1ANF CQ'n on 20m at 20:36 zulu

JEFF WALSH
 

 
JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
#1673
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.


Re: YB8MAN

Mike Flowers
 

I think so too, Jerry.

 

On QRZ, YB8MAN has ‘Lookups: 1257’ – doesn’t sound as if the real YB8MAN is very active at all.

 

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

 

From: 070@... [mailto:070@...]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:47 PM
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] RE: YB8MAN

 

 

My initial response when I worked YB8MAN in February. Something just did not smell right and I guessed it was a "slim" (pirate). Propagation and beam headings were wrong

Someone to the South has strange sense of humor.

Jerry. N9AVY
#454

"'Mike Flowers' mike.flowers@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:
 

I saw a trace on 20M a 30 minutes ago signing YB8MAN.   His short path heading from me is 285 degrees, so I turned the SteppIR 3L yagi to that heading and his signal went way down.    I reversed the SteppIR using its ‘180 degree’ feature to a heading of 105 degrees, and his signal came up significantly.

 

With SF:81 A:12 K:2 and the time of day, I doubt it was long path or grey-line propagation.  Here on the West Coast, Indonesia is a short path chip shot.

 

I checked a couple of signals out of EU, but they were only readable short path.

 

Then I checked dxsummit.fi for YB8MAN spots history:

 

VE2PI-@

14070

YB8MAN

20:57 04 Apr 17

TKS my friend

Indonesia

N9AVY

14070

YB8MAN

21:54 09 Mar 17

EN52QF<>PI19

Indonesia

VE2PI-@

14069

YB8MAN

17:30 21 Feb 17

TKS PSK31

Indonesia

LZ1AEY-@

14081.2

YB8MAN

15:32 15 Jan 17

tnx qso Baryn 73

Indonesia

YO7SG

7154

YB8MAN

06:53 03 Jan 17

I dn ot work rtty

Indonesia

IK7XGH

7000

YB8MAN

16:29 02 Jan 17

sorry freq. correct rtty

Indonesia

YB8MAN

3747

YB8MAN

16:19 02 Jan 17

bpsk31

Indonesia

JA4DER

7030

YB8MAN

13:36 16 May 06

psk 31 1888hz

Indonesia

Very few spots and of these, most from the East or EU, with one self-spot.   Only one JA spot.   Usually, JAs will post a lot for Asian stations, so I conclude the JAs were not hearing the station signing YB8MAN.

 

Based on my observations, this signal seems to be coming from the general direction of the Caribbean or South America, and likely a pirate trying to get some play on PSK31.

 

Just my $.02 …

 

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

 

From: 070@... [mailto:070@...]
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:20 PM
To:
070@...
Subject: Re: [070] Indonesia

 

 

Paul:

 

Good catch !

 

Worked a couple months ago, sent QSL via LOTW & Eqsl, but no return.  Hope you have better luck.   Funny his signal seemed to be coming from Europe...hope it wasn't a pirate

 

Jerry n9avy

 


From: "Paul Milward nu4c@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "
070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:41 PM
Subject: [070] Indonesia

 

 

 

I just worked YB8MAN Badrin in Indonesia from Florida. 2035utc

I was so surprised I almost forgot to respond.

Its a big deal for me.

14.070 up about 1.3

Go get him

73

Paul NU4C #824

 

 

 


Re: YB8MAN

Jerry N9AVY
 

My initial response when I worked YB8MAN in February. Something just did not smell right and I guessed it was a "slim" (pirate). Propagation and beam headings were wrong

Someone to the South has strange sense of humor.

Jerry. N9AVY
#454

"'Mike Flowers' mike.flowers@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:
 

I saw a trace on 20M a 30 minutes ago signing YB8MAN.   His short path heading from me is 285 degrees, so I turned the SteppIR 3L yagi to that heading and his signal went way down.    I reversed the SteppIR using its ‘180 degree’ feature to a heading of 105 degrees, and his signal came up significantly.

 

With SF:81 A:12 K:2 and the time of day, I doubt it was long path or grey-line propagation.  Here on the West Coast, Indonesia is a short path chip shot.

 

I checked a couple of signals out of EU, but they were only readable short path.

 

Then I checked dxsummit.fi for YB8MAN spots history:

 

VE2PI-@

14070

YB8MAN

20:57 04 Apr 17

TKS my friend

Indonesia

N9AVY

14070

YB8MAN

21:54 09 Mar 17

EN52QF<>PI19

Indonesia

VE2PI-@

14069

YB8MAN

17:30 21 Feb 17

TKS PSK31

Indonesia

LZ1AEY-@

14081.2

YB8MAN

15:32 15 Jan 17

tnx qso Baryn 73

Indonesia

YO7SG

7154

YB8MAN

06:53 03 Jan 17

I dn ot work rtty

Indonesia

IK7XGH

7000

YB8MAN

16:29 02 Jan 17

sorry freq. correct rtty

Indonesia

YB8MAN

3747

YB8MAN

16:19 02 Jan 17

bpsk31

Indonesia

JA4DER

7030

YB8MAN

13:36 16 May 06

psk 31 1888hz

Indonesia

Very few spots and of these, most from the East or EU, with one self-spot.   Only one JA spot.   Usually, JAs will post a lot for Asian stations, so I conclude the JAs were not hearing the station signing YB8MAN.

 

Based on my observations, this signal seems to be coming from the general direction of the Caribbean or South America, and likely a pirate trying to get some play on PSK31.

 

Just my $.02 …

 

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

 

From: 070@... [mailto:070@...]
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:20 PM
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] Indonesia

 

 

Paul:

 

Good catch !

 

Worked a couple months ago, sent QSL via LOTW & Eqsl, but no return.  Hope you have better luck.   Funny his signal seemed to be coming from Europe...hope it wasn't a pirate

 

Jerry n9avy

 


From: "Paul Milward nu4c@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:41 PM
Subject: [070] Indonesia

 

 

 

I just worked YB8MAN Badrin in Indonesia from Florida. 2035utc

I was so surprised I almost forgot to respond.

Its a big deal for me.

14.070 up about 1.3

Go get him

73

Paul NU4C #824

 

 

 


Re: YB8MAN

Mike Flowers
 

I saw a trace on 20M a 30 minutes ago signing YB8MAN.   His short path heading from me is 285 degrees, so I turned the SteppIR 3L yagi to that heading and his signal went way down.    I reversed the SteppIR using its ‘180 degree’ feature to a heading of 105 degrees, and his signal came up significantly.

 

With SF:81 A:12 K:2 and the time of day, I doubt it was long path or grey-line propagation.  Here on the West Coast, Indonesia is a short path chip shot.

 

I checked a couple of signals out of EU, but they were only readable short path.

 

Then I checked dxsummit.fi for YB8MAN spots history:

 

VE2PI-@

14070

YB8MAN

20:57 04 Apr 17

TKS my friend

Indonesia

N9AVY

14070

YB8MAN

21:54 09 Mar 17

EN52QF<>PI19

Indonesia

VE2PI-@

14069

YB8MAN

17:30 21 Feb 17

TKS PSK31

Indonesia

LZ1AEY-@

14081.2

YB8MAN

15:32 15 Jan 17

tnx qso Baryn 73

Indonesia

YO7SG

7154

YB8MAN

06:53 03 Jan 17

I dn ot work rtty

Indonesia

IK7XGH

7000

YB8MAN

16:29 02 Jan 17

sorry freq. correct rtty

Indonesia

YB8MAN

3747

YB8MAN

16:19 02 Jan 17

bpsk31

Indonesia

JA4DER

7030

YB8MAN

13:36 16 May 06

psk 31 1888hz

Indonesia

Very few spots and of these, most from the East or EU, with one self-spot.   Only one JA spot.   Usually, JAs will post a lot for Asian stations, so I conclude the JAs were not hearing the station signing YB8MAN.

 

Based on my observations, this signal seems to be coming from the general direction of the Caribbean or South America, and likely a pirate trying to get some play on PSK31.

 

Just my $.02 …

 

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

 

From: 070@... [mailto:070@...]
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:20 PM
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] Indonesia

 

 

Paul:

 

Good catch !

 

Worked a couple months ago, sent QSL via LOTW & Eqsl, but no return.  Hope you have better luck.   Funny his signal seemed to be coming from Europe...hope it wasn't a pirate

 

Jerry n9avy

 


From: "Paul Milward nu4c@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:41 PM
Subject: [070] Indonesia

 

 

 

I just worked YB8MAN Badrin in Indonesia from Florida. 2035utc

I was so surprised I almost forgot to respond.

Its a big deal for me.

14.070 up about 1.3

Go get him

73

Paul NU4C #824

 

 

 


Re: Indonesia

Rick - N7WE
 

Well Paul, that 43' vertical beats my Hustler 6BTV over 40 radials of various length.  Back yard is about 15' by 75' with the antenna pretty much in the middle.  My HOA has a specific ham antenna limit of one vertical not more than 25' high.  At least they allow that.  Many in HOA communities aren't so fortunate.  Thanks for the info.

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


Re: Indonesia

Jerry N9AVY
 

Paul:

Good catch !

Worked a couple months ago, sent QSL via LOTW & Eqsl, but no return.  Hope you have better luck.   Funny his signal seemed to be coming from Europe...hope it wasn't a pirate

Jerry n9avy



From: "Paul Milward nu4c@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:41 PM
Subject: [070] Indonesia

 

I just worked YB8MAN Badrin in Indonesia from Florida. 2035utc
I was so surprised I almost forgot to respond.
Its a big deal for me.
14.070 up about 1.3
Go get him
73
Paul NU4C #824






Re: Indonesia

Paul Milward <nu4c@...>
 

Rick
just a 43 foot vertical with about 40 radials various lengths 16 to 63 ft
nu4c



From: "n7we1980@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:03 PM
Subject: RE: [070] Indonesia

 
Yes Paul.  Congrats!  I looked but can't see him on my waterfall.  Memo to self:  "Get one of what Paul has for an antenna!"

Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602


16801 - 16820 of 67684