Date   

Re: WARC Fun

Les Alverson <kd4sfd2@...>
 

Back during this last solar max, 10M would be filled, especially if there was a contest going on.  Many casual operators would end up on 12M for ragchew.  If 10M is active, there may be a few on 12M.

Les k4lea 1746

On 12/29/2015 19:18, Kevin Lemon k0mci@... [070] wrote:
 

I'm growing fond of 30 and 17. They look dead, but usually once I start calling, others magically appear. I wish 12 would open when I'm available to operate, but I'm sure it will.

I'm sitting in Indianapolis and if I weren't still considering mobile logging options I'd fire up the laptop and see if I could get out to the west coast. 


 

OK, so now I know I can join in the WARC fun – some more endorsements to chase! I didn’t know I could use those bands until I tried my tuner on them just to see – as I said in another post, it tuned all three bands at a 1.5:1 SWR.

 

Paula, K7PAX

 



Re: WARC Bands

Steve W3HF
 

Yeah, that page probably should be updated a bit, at least for 40m.

Back in the early days of PSK (like 2000-2003 or so), the 40m "PSK31 watering hole" was around 7070, at least for the US. But in Europe, the 40m only extended up to 7100, and voice modes were predominate in the upper part of the band, so European PSKers tended down around 7040 or so. By 2007 or 2008 (when the first version of the 070 web page was written), most of the US hams had migrated down to 7040 to work the DX, and 7070 wasn't used much.

At WRC 2003, it was agreed that shortwave broadcasters would move out of 7100-7200 in 2009, and that portion of the band would become a worldwide amateur allocation. With voice modes now taking over the higher part of the band, Europeans started moving up to 7070, and the 7040 "slot" was used less and less. So now almost all 40m operation is around 7070, though I haven't checked on Japan recently. (I was told about twelve years ago that Japanese hams had to stay below 7030 on data modes--that's why I made the 7028 recommendation on the web page.)

I think the rest of the frequencies are still accurate.

Steve
W3HF
 
 

On 12/29/15, Kevin Lemon k0mci@... [070]<070@...> wrote:
 


I've gone by this.. http://www.podxs070.com/frequently-asked-questions/psk31-frequencies

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 6:50 PM, 'Hamette' hamette@... [070]
<070@...> wrote:
 

Are the typical PSK frequencies used on the WARC bands those that are
suggested in DM780 - i.e. 10.140, 18.100, and 24.920? I just tested my
vertical and my LDG IT-100 tunes it at 1.5:1 SWR on all three bands.

Wish I could get it to do that on 160 meters!

Paula, K7PAX #1739




Re: Windows 10 - My Opinion

Larry
 


I upgraded from Window's 7 to  10, and so far it seems to be working great.
I had some minor changes but I'm taking care of those.

One question: I dragged the URL to the desktop and created an Icon fot the
. PODXS/Clublog site, but when I drag it to my new W10 start menu, it will
not allow mw to do it.
Can I turn a URL into a tile, and if so how?

Thanks in advance!
Larry WA7HDZ #404







On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:35 PM, "Dan Morris dbmorris315@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:




Our church computer which we purchased back in August was Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  the presentation software just upgraded and they recommended Windows 10 and would not guarantee the program would run correctly on window 7.  So, we took the plunge and I upgraded to windows 10 and it went pretty flawless.  I switched to Mac about 5 years ago or so and I was rather impressed with the upgrade that MS had this time.  I will give them credit for this one.  So far, things seem to be running pretty good.  The GUI looks the same just a few minor things changing as far as I can tell right now.  I just haven’t gotten into the system very much and doubt I will unless absolutely necessary.  The less I fool with it the better off I’ll be !!!

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065



On Dec 29, 2015, at 1:13 PM, Adam Mercier adam@... [070] <070@...> wrote:


     I'm usually an "early adopter", but I was so horrified by the "look and feel" changes in Windows 8 (primarily the frenetic, ADHD-inducing tile format), that I refused to upgrade from 7.  I'm worried that if I don't take advantage of the "free upgrade" that I'm constantly reminded of by pop up, Win 7 will get orphaned like XP, and then I'll have to pay an arm, a leg, and a couple locks of Milt's hair to get Windows 10.
     Now, I'm on the young end of "Old fuddy duddy ", so I still have some reserves in my adaptation reservoir left, and I've looked at some screen shots from Win 10, and read some reviews, but with no experience with the OS, I rely on others impressions.  I have 2 Win 7 machines, a laptop and a desktop, so I'm almost willing to try Win 10 on one of them to check it out...but I'm stuck on the reality of the user interface--is it more like Win 7 than 8? I hate the tiles! Did I mention that already?? 

     I'm ready for some real-life input from  the 070 well of experience....

Adam, KM7N

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 29, 2015, at 9:53 AM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

 

Thanks Milt,

I had a very similar experience, although the upgrade messed up some of my settings with HRD/DM780, which took 2-3 evenings to completely straighten​ around.

73 de Joe KJ8O 1244



On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:23 AM, n6mg@... [070] <070@...> wrote:
 

Fellow 070'rs,
I have several computers of various ages, whether they be towers or laptops, with varied operating systems.
They range from a very old decrepied  Compaq that has DOS as it operating system to my Dell "Man Cave Main Frame".
The Compaq is used to program my Motorola HT's, and I have a few with XP Pro for field day, logging, EZNec antenna design, etc.
My point? Through the courtesy and help of my IT Department, defined as 1 each, Mike, K6MKF, 070-412, just up the road from me a few hundred clicks, I've very painlessly upgraded to Windows 10, from Win 8.1. The upgrade was simple, and was done because I get tired of the pop-ups asking me to do it and felt it was the correct thing to do. All com ports stayed the same, all CAT functions in my RigExpert stayed the same. It all worked as advertised. 
As a stock holder of Microsoft since 1995, I'm proud to say that Microsoft finally got something right!
In no way can I advise anyone to do the upgrade, as computers vary greatly from ham shack to ham shack, but it worked flawlessly for me.
As John says,
"Just sayin'",
Milt.
N6MG 070-650
LONP #76







-- 
Joe Miller, KJ8O
Affiliated Club Coordinator
ARRL Michigan Section








Re: WARC Fun

Kevin Lemon
 

I'm growing fond of 30 and 17. They look dead, but usually once I start calling, others magically appear. I wish 12 would open when I'm available to operate, but I'm sure it will.
I'm sitting in Indianapolis and if I weren't still considering mobile logging options I'd fire up the laptop and see if I could get out to the west coast. 

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 7:02 PM, 'Hamette' hamette@... [070]
<070@...> wrote:
 

OK, so now I know I can join in the WARC fun – some more endorsements to chase! I didn’t know I could use those bands until I tried my tuner on them just to see – as I said in another post, it tuned all three bands at a 1.5:1 SWR.

 

Paula, K7PAX

 


Re: Test #2

Jerry N9AVY
 

Correction below 




From: "Jerry n9avy@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: [070] Test #2

 
Paula:

The first 2 posts you sent would   NOT load on my browser... there was a little circle that kept spinning around and wouldn't load email.

I've had this problem for last few weeks and it's only here on this reflector and only with a couple people.

Your last couple emails loaded fine , looks like "rich text " is the way to go.


Jerry  n9avy




From: "'Hamette' hamette@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:57 PM
Subject: [070] Test #2 [1 Attachment]

 
Another email formatted in rich text. Test #2

Paula, K7PAX






Re: Test #2

Paula K7PAX #1739
 

I had a complaint that someone couldn’t open emails with the “attachment” so I was trying to avoid that. Rich Text seems to create the “attachment.”

 

Paula K7PAX

 

From: 070@... [mailto:070@...]
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 16:05
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] Test #2

 

 

Paula:

 

The first 2 posts you sent would load on my browser... there was a little circle that kept spinning around and wouldn't load email.

 

I've had this problem for last few weeks and it's only here on this reflector and only with a couple people.

 

Your last couple emails loaded fine , looks like "rich text " is the way to go.

 

 

Jerry  n9avy

 

 


From: "'Hamette' hamette@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:57 PM
Subject: [070] Test #2 [1 Attachment]

 

 

Another email formatted in rich text. Test #2

Paula, K7PAX

 


Re: Test #2 [1 Attachment]

Jerry N9AVY
 

Paula:

The first 2 posts you sent would load on my browser... there was a little circle that kept spinning around and wouldn't load email.

I've had this problem for last few weeks and it's only here on this reflector and only with a couple people.

Your last couple emails loaded fine , looks like "rich text " is the way to go.


Jerry  n9avy




From: "'Hamette' hamette@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:57 PM
Subject: [070] Test #2 [1 Attachment]

 
Another email formatted in rich text. Test #2

Paula, K7PAX




WARC Fun

Paula K7PAX #1739
 

OK, so now I know I can join in the WARC fun – some more endorsements to chase! I didn’t know I could use those bands until I tried my tuner on them just to see – as I said in another post, it tuned all three bands at a 1.5:1 SWR.

 

Paula, K7PAX

 


Test #3 - HTML format

Paula K7PAX #1739
 

OK, rich text format causes the “attachment.” Trying HTML formatted message this time.

 

Paula, K7PAX

 

 


Re: WARC Bands [1 Attachment]

Kevin Lemon
 

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 6:50 PM, 'Hamette' hamette@... [070]
<070@...> wrote:
 

Are the typical PSK frequencies used on the WARC bands those that are
suggested in DM780 - i.e. 10.140, 18.100, and 24.920? I just tested my
vertical and my LDG IT-100 tunes it at 1.5:1 SWR on all three bands.

Wish I could get it to do that on 160 meters!

Paula, K7PAX #1739


Test #2

Paula K7PAX #1739
 

Another email formatted in rich text. Test #2

Paula, K7PAX


Test Email

Paula K7PAX #1739
 

I am testing email to the reflector. I just send a message formatted in rich
text, and it came through with a tag stating "one attachment" but I didn't
attach anything. Testing plain text format to see if it comes through
without the "attachment."

Paula, K7PAX #1739


WARC Bands

Paula K7PAX #1739
 

Are the typical PSK frequencies used on the WARC bands those that are
suggested in DM780 - i.e. 10.140, 18.100, and 24.920? I just tested my
vertical and my LDG IT-100 tunes it at 1.5:1 SWR on all three bands.

Wish I could get it to do that on 160 meters!

Paula, K7PAX #1739


Re: Windows 10 - My Opinion

Dan Morris - KZ3T
 

Our church computer which we purchased back in August was Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  the presentation software just upgraded and they recommended Windows 10 and would not guarantee the program would run correctly on window 7.  So, we took the plunge and I upgraded to windows 10 and it went pretty flawless.  I switched to Mac about 5 years ago or so and I was rather impressed with the upgrade that MS had this time.  I will give them credit for this one.  So far, things seem to be running pretty good.  The GUI looks the same just a few minor things changing as far as I can tell right now.  I just haven’t gotten into the system very much and doubt I will unless absolutely necessary.  The less I fool with it the better off I’ll be !!!

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065



On Dec 29, 2015, at 1:13 PM, Adam Mercier adam@... [070] <070@...> wrote:


     I'm usually an "early adopter", but I was so horrified by the "look and feel" changes in Windows 8 (primarily the frenetic, ADHD-inducing tile format), that I refused to upgrade from 7.  I'm worried that if I don't take advantage of the "free upgrade" that I'm constantly reminded of by pop up, Win 7 will get orphaned like XP, and then I'll have to pay an arm, a leg, and a couple locks of Milt's hair to get Windows 10.
     Now, I'm on the young end of "Old fuddy duddy ", so I still have some reserves in my adaptation reservoir left, and I've looked at some screen shots from Win 10, and read some reviews, but with no experience with the OS, I rely on others impressions.  I have 2 Win 7 machines, a laptop and a desktop, so I'm almost willing to try Win 10 on one of them to check it out...but I'm stuck on the reality of the user interface--is it more like Win 7 than 8? I hate the tiles! Did I mention that already?? 

     I'm ready for some real-life input from  the 070 well of experience....

Adam, KM7N

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 29, 2015, at 9:53 AM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

 

Thanks Milt,

I had a very similar experience, although the upgrade messed up some of my settings with HRD/DM780, which took 2-3 evenings to completely straighten​ around.

73 de Joe KJ8O 1244



On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:23 AM, n6mg@... [070] <070@...> wrote:
 

Fellow 070'rs,

I have several computers of various ages, whether they be towers or laptops, with varied operating systems.

They range from a very old decrepied  Compaq that has DOS as it operating system to my Dell "Man Cave Main Frame".

The Compaq is used to program my Motorola HT's, and I have a few with XP Pro for field day, logging, EZNec antenna design, etc.

My point? Through the courtesy and help of my IT Department, defined as 1 each, Mike, K6MKF, 070-412, just up the road from me a few hundred clicks, I've very painlessly upgraded to Windows 10, from Win 8.1. The upgrade was simple, and was done because I get tired of the pop-ups asking me to do it and felt it was the correct thing to do. All com ports stayed the same, all CAT functions in my RigExpert stayed the same. It all worked as advertised. 

As a stock holder of Microsoft since 1995, I'm proud to say that Microsoft finally got something right!

In no way can I advise anyone to do the upgrade, as computers vary greatly from ham shack to ham shack, but it worked flawlessly for me.

As John says,

"Just sayin'",

Milt.

N6MG 070-650

LONP #76








-- 
Joe Miller, KJ8O
Affiliated Club Coordinator
ARRL Michigan Section




Re: Need some DM780 help

Len Hecker
 

...FWIW, I have found that looking thru the various tabs is a much faster solution than reading the manual for many/most problems.  73 len k3lrh


Re: Need some DM780 help

Brian (N2MLP)
 

Your welcome

Easy fix ( I done it a few times myself)

 

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

 

 

========================

 

 

From: 070@... [mailto:070@...]
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 4:27 PM
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] Need some DM780 help

 

 

Matt and Brian-

Thank you both!  That was the fix!

Rick - N7WE - #1602


Re: Windows 10 - My Opinion

Adam Mercier, KM7N #1310
 

Well, with the positive response so far, I might take some time over the long weekend to give Win 10 a shot on my desktop. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Adam, KM7N #1310

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 29, 2015, at 11:25 AM, Mike Flowers mike.flowers@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

 

Hi Adam,

 

I’ve been working with Windows professionally since it first was released in December, 1987.

 

In my view, Windows 10 is the most stable and rational release they’ve ever had.

 

You can eliminate the tiles altogether – or learn to use them.

 

I’ve upgraded every Windows PC and laptop in the house to Windows 10.

 

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, President - NCDXC

 

From: 070@... [mailto:070@...]
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:13 AM
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] Windows 10 - My Opinion

 

 

     I'm usually an "early adopter", but I was so horrified by the "look and feel" changes in Windows 8 (primarily the frenetic, ADHD-inducing tile format), that I refused to upgrade from 7.  I'm worried that if I don't take advantage of the "free upgrade" that I'm constantly reminded of by pop up, Win 7 will get orphaned like XP, and then I'll have to pay an arm, a leg, and a couple locks of Milt's hair to get Windows 10.

     Now, I'm on the young end of "Old fuddy duddy ", so I still have some reserves in my adaptation reservoir left, and I've looked at some screen shots from Win 10, and read some reviews, but with no experience with the OS, I rely on others impressions.  I have 2 Win 7 machines, a laptop and a desktop, so I'm almost willing to try Win 10 on one of them to check it out...but I'm stuck on the reality of the user interface--is it more like Win 7 than 8? I hate the tiles! Did I mention that already?? 

 

     I'm ready for some real-life input from  the 070 well of experience....

 

Adam, KM7N

 

Sent from my iPhone


On Dec 29, 2015, at 9:53 AM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

 

Thanks Milt,

 

I had a very similar experience, although the upgrade messed up some of my settings with HRD/DM780, which took 2-3 evenings to completely straighten​ around.

 

73 de Joe KJ8O 1244

 

 

 

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:23 AM, n6mg@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

 

Fellow 070'rs,

I have several computers of various ages, whether they be towers or laptops, with varied operating systems.

They range from a very old decrepied  Compaq that has DOS as it operating system to my Dell "Man Cave Main Frame".

The Compaq is used to program my Motorola HT's, and I have a few with XP Pro for field day, logging, EZNec antenna design, etc.

My point? Through the courtesy and help of my IT Department, defined as 1 each, Mike, K6MKF, 070-412, just up the road from me a few hundred clicks, I've very painlessly upgraded to Windows 10, from Win 8.1. The upgrade was simple, and was done because I get tired of the pop-ups asking me to do it and felt it was the correct thing to do. All com ports stayed the same, all CAT functions in my RigExpert stayed the same. It all worked as advertised.

As a stock holder of Microsoft since 1995, I'm proud to say that Microsoft finally got something right!

In no way can I advise anyone to do the upgrade, as computers vary greatly from ham shack to ham shack, but it worked flawlessly for me.

As John says,

"Just sayin'",

Milt.

N6MG 070-650

LONP #76

 




--

Joe Miller, KJ8O
Affiliated Club Coordinator

ARRL Michigan Section


Re: Need some DM780 help

Rick - N7WE
 

Matt and Brian-

Thank you both!  That was the fix!

Rick - N7WE - #1602


Re: Need some DM780 help

Rick - N7WE
 

Thanks Matt.  I'm using 6.2.10.377.  You can email me direct at n7we1980 at gmail dot com.

Rick - N7WE - #1602


Re: CQing on 12m

Rick - N7WE
 

Great...glad you have some opening and are making some contacts.  I've not seen a single decode here in central Florida good enough to even guess at a call and I've been on and off since 16:00 UTC.  Maybe it is because of the cold front/storm front stretching from the Great Lakes down to the Florida panhandle.  But good going guys.  Hope a bunch of you complete the 12 on 12!

Rick - N7WE - #1602