Re: PSK31 split operation

Eric KG6MZS

What's funny about that George is that the new versions of WJST-X can decode 3 or more signals from the same trace.  I guess the software initially decodes the strongest trace and then subtracts it from the pile and decodes other signals from whats left over.

Very different from PSK in that several signals usually renders all undecodable.  I've noticed that If I want to work a station on PSK that is getting a pileup of responses, just moving over a few hundred hertz will sometimes get me acknowledged from skilled stations.

This underlines another feature of split - the running stations needs to announce they are listening split -- unlike FT8.

73

Eric KG6MZS

On 1/14/22 11:09 AM, George Weller wrote:
That's helpful gents. Thank you.  A pile-up is one thing and I can see the reasoning on that.  On wsjt-x, the rationale is that the Tx signal is narrow band; minor distortion (near the edge of the Tx passband filter) reduces likelihood of a decode, so wsjt-x sets the split and adjusts the audio offset so that the Tx is at the exact same frequency as Rx, but is now in the center of the Tx passband. It seems like the same logic would apply to any narrowband signal. Of course, as was pointed out, the PSK band is usually not crowded and you can pick a frequency in the middle.

73, George KD9PCN

On 1/14/2022 12:56 PM, Eric KG6MZS wrote:
On 1/14/22 9:07 AM, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io wrote:

The only times I've ever operated PSK split were when I was (semi-)rare DX and I had lots of stations calling.
I'll echo Stephen's sentiments.  I've seldom needed to use split for PSK because the PSK waterfall just isn't that crowded.

In Digital Master 780 it's pretty easy to set up split.  Just set up on a clear frequency and lock it, then move the receive cursor over to the station you want to work.  I usually center my TX frequency in the waterfall.

73

Eric KG6MZS

www.kg6mzs.com