Re: Sprint reply correction

Mike W4BZM

I had a similar encounter with Igor.  I dared to ask him why he was using “PODXC de W0IZ”  to call CQ — certainly a non-standard call that we were supposed to figure out meant “CQ 070 Sprint” as called for in the contest instructions.  Got a stern rebuke that questions should be handled over the Internet, not over the air.  Of course, when you look up his call on QRZ.com, you don’t find any e-mail address — only a diatribe on the “right way” (his way) to participate in a contest if you’re not part of the “predominantly experienced older crowd” using RTTY.

I hope Igor’s attitude hasn’t driven off other PSK-31 operators.  I, for one, enjoy the more laid-back, “have fun” attitude of our PODXS members during contests.  And a couple times, I broke out of contest mode to chew the rag with folks who were new to the mode or had never heard of PODXS 070.  There are more important things in life than racking up contest points.  Let’s all remember the parts of the Amateur Radio Code of Conduct which states the amateur is CONSIDERATE  and FRIENDLY.

Mike W4BZM