Re: Reminder – JAMBOREE ON THE AIR - JOTA

Steve WB3LGC

I am part of a group that will be operating JOTA.
SSB, 2m FM, maybe CW, and I will give time to PSK31.

I am "the facilitator" (to use a corporate term) as Campmaster (our Crew, there are other Campmaster Crews) and most of our Campmaster Crew will be running shooting sports on Saturday.
I have two hams helping me (imports, not Campmasters) and a third ham is going to visit for a while.
We will operate under the Club Call KB3NCC "Radio Scouting Troop".

It looks like we will have 12 troops (and ONE Cub Pack) in camp.
Time will tell how many visit.
More often than not, the Cubs DO show.

We will be at Camp Rodney Scout Reservation, FM29am grid in MD.
We will have a 3 element 20-15-10 beam on a trailer.
We will have a 40m dipole and maybe 80m.
I am not sure what the guys have for rigs or modes planned.

I plan on setting up a end-fed random antenna at our Campmaster HQ for camper check-in.
I will show a intro video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x6x_6mDVlQ
I will give PSK31 a try Friday night starting at 0000z and hopefully I can make it work either with the PSK built into the Elecraft rig or with fldigi.
After dinner on Saturday, I hope to be on again.

I won't know what we are doing on the air until we determine rigs/antennas/modes Saturday morning.
I am not sure "we" will have internet at camp as lightning took out the feed and it was not "up" two weeks ago...
We will have fun and I hope we stir some interest in the YOUTH.

73, steve WB3LGC

On 10/11/21 5:48 PM, stan W9SMR wrote:

For your participation in the JAMBOREE ON THE AIR - JOTA

on October 15 - 17, 2021,

PODXS 070 Club offers JOTA Participation and Enabler Stickers.

Few people realize that JOTA is the largest Scouting event in the world. Each year more than 1.3 Million Scouts and Guides "get together" over the airwaves for the annual Jamboree-on-the-Air (JOTA).

For an overview of the 64th annual event, see: Jamboree On The Air- JOTA.

Always held on the third weekend in October, this year it will run from Friday October 15 thru Sunday October 17. There are no official hours of operation.

Keep in mind this is not a contest for the most contacts, but an opportunity to meet and encourage those millions of potential new PODXS 070 members!

There will be two different JOTA Stickers offered to 070 members.

1)  JOTA Participant for those who get on air and make a contact with a JOTA station.

2) JOTA Enabler for those who, working with a troop, set up a station, oversee operation, and "enable" PSK31 JOTA contacts for Scouts in any way.

A JOTA Enabler may also claim JOTA Participant if they make a PSK31 contact with another JOTA station.

For an excellent example of a JOTA enabler, just check out the QRZ.COM page for Mike, KE0GHU, 070 member #2415.

We will use the honor system - just like the Field Day Sticker - to determine eligibility for both endorsements as it greatly simplifies the process of awarding stickers.  If you say you participated, you participated! Please DO NOT send or attach your log.

So, answer or call “CQ JOTA” and settle back to meet a Boy Scout, perhaps a 070 member some day!

After the event and before October 31st, send your email to:  robinstan@...

On the Subject Line, state “JOTA Sticker”.
In the body state the following:
1) Your Call and Member number
2) The number of completed JOTA contacts
3) State your role if claiming to be a JOTA Enabler

I will compile the complete list of the Participants and Enablers and post that on the 070 Email Reflector. You will be added to the next Sticker mailing list.

73,
Stan
W9SMR - 070  #1611
PODXS 070 - PR Director