From: Jeremy Allen via groups.io <jcaoy@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Sep 28, 2021 2:22 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Hmmm ?

I have tried to run PSK31 from fairly rare locations and it is very frustrating.  Even running a kind of split operation never works too well.  Two stations on top of each other means zero print.  At least with BAUDOT RTTY, I see something that looks like a call sign.  It is also 45 wpm instead of 30.  I tried running PSK31 from both ZD8 and VQ9 but it only lasted a few minutes at a clip before the pileup caused the decoder to shut down.  I switched to RTTY after that and made quite a few contacts.

I actually find that FT8 Q-rates are pretty low.  Each TX/RX iteration is 15 seconds, which seems to be an eternity, and it takes at least 3 cycles for a QSO.  I am not sure about FT4.  Faster CW and RTTY are much quicker, and SSB can be insanely fast given the right circumstances.  PSK31 exchanges can be quick as well if the correct sequence is followed and no one loads a long macro on you.  The inability to deal with QRM is the biggest issue with PSK31 for DX and contesting.  On the plus side, PSK31 is a very comfortable typing speed and great for rag chews at low power.

That's my $0.02 at least.  73 Jeremy N1ZZZ