Re: Hmmm ?

Jerry N9AVY

Ray:

Had an old time CW OP who used to live near me.  He was a WWII radioman who could send at around 50 wpm !  Unfortunately, he had a stroke which slowed him down and he had to use a keyboard. That was the beginning of the end for old Charlie.  He wife sold the house and they moved to an apartment which killed his hobby.  Charlie didn't last long and within a few months he was an SK.  Sad.

When I run across a PSK31 station running "contest style" I have a separate macro just for that which sends "599 IL".  When I operate "W1AW/9" a few years ago, I ran into ops who did what you mentioned and had the same macro for everything. I was operating "contest style" and somehow managed about 800 contacts, but there were a few who drove me up the wall with their long macros. I really didn't need to know their dog's name or their hat size ! I chalked this up to them being newbies and not knowing enough about operating practices/procedures. We all have to start somewhere ...

As I age I get more patient with most folks and myself, hi, hi !

Using MixW I found that there is an expansion where I can generate multiple macros which I use for difference contests. Saves a lot of time as they are customizable.

This weekend I discovered that using both LoTW and Eqsl has a benefit I didn't know about.  As RTTY contest was winding down, lost USB mouse which shut me down and lost at least 2 multipliers.  My Daughter was out shopping and phoned her to ask if she would pick up a USB mouse for me. She came home with a wireless mouse (no USB mice at store !). Quickly got everything up & running, but lost a couple hours.  When I resumed, didn't notice that computer clock was messed up and last half dozen QSOs had wrong times.  This morning I checked both LoTW & Eqsl to verify the facts and thanks to Eqsl those last 6 q's were corrected...yay !!!

Always learning something new !

Jerry  n9avy

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 07:47:29 AM CDT, Ray Clements <r.clements@...> wrote:

There is a CW Ops group that promotes CW. They sponsor a 1 hour CW contest every Wednesday morning. There are participants who are experienced and others who are relativelaly new. I have a friend who participates each week. He normally runs about 35 wpm and has gotten as high as 200 contacts an hour, but 150 contacts is closer to normal. There are some who can easily get over 200 contacts per hour. I am not proficient at CW, so I am not part of that group.

PSK puts all participants potentially on a level playing field. However, to achieve good rates, it is necessary to hold a specific frequency and call CQ. Typically, I work search and pounce as I like to spot stations rather than working everyone who comes along. That reduces my run rates. Also, many PSK operators use the same set of macros in a contest that they use normally. I have even seen some who send a lengthy station macro during a contest exchange. That absolutely kills run rates. In a contest, participants should send the bare minimum exchange of information required to log the contact. The exception to that would be if both parties chose to leave contesting mode temporarily to have a casual conversation using PSK. Thus, a new set of macros needs to be generated for each contest specifying the information needed for that contest....no more, no less.

N9RWC