Re: Hmmm ?

Jerry N9AVY

Lee:

A few years ago I was involved with the W9CA contest group. They mostly did Field Day and lots of CW (2 pts per contact as opposed to only one for SSB).   We had some great CW ops who could buzz along at 35-40 wpm - that pretty fast.  The group had a received station feeding QSOs heard on all bands (160-10m) and every CQ that was sent by other was fed to the FD site.  One op was very comfortable at 40 wpm and was taking spots almost faster than they came in.

If you check past scores for 3A  (W9CA)you'll find that W9CA was #1 for about 3 years running.   I wouldn't say that CW is slow...

Just my 2 cents worth ...

Jerry  n9avy

On Sunday, September 26, 2021, 08:18:23 PM CDT, Leland Sly <lee.n5sly@...> wrote:

There are many things to do on HF radio.  Contesting and other groups like Parks On The Air, POTA, are very popular.  The goal is to make as many contacts as possible in the time allotted.  In the case of POTA there is no time limit.  As far as I know 3rd party logging groups....LOTW, eQSLcc, QRZ, etc. only require 6 things to be documented in your log...your call sign, the call sign of the station you contacted, date, time, band, mode.  The only time the signal report may be important is during a contest.

Society today is mostly interested in getting things done quickly...so people gravitate to things that work fast.  In HF radio SSB contacts can be the fastest...closely followed by the digital modes of FT8 and FT4.  Both of those modes are fast and amazingly accurate.  CW on the other hand is rather slow and requires a lot of skill that many people don't have and don't want to invest the time and effort to learn.  Other digital modes are not as fast and not nearly as accurate as FT8 and FT4 therefore folks use them rarely.

I personally like digital modes and work as many as I can.  I really enjoy the POTA program and participate every day either as a Hunter or sometimes an Activator.  As a Hunter I'll look for other stations operating in a park and use whatever mode they are using....except CW...this old man never got good enough to use CW.  As an Activator I'll use SSB because I can start calling CQ and be insured of a pileup that lasts 45 minutes to over an hour.  In that time I can make 50 or more contacts.  I'll then switch to FT8 and make another 40 or so contacts in the next hour.

Last month I did use PSK while Activating a park and it took 90 minutes to make 20 contacts.  I had a lot of fun doing that...but it was slow compared to SSB and FT8.

I really enjoy the PODXS 070 contests because most of them only last for a short time...many 6 hours.  That's perfect for me.  I'll do PSK for 6 hours and really enjoy it.

But if my goal is to make as many contacts as I possibly can as fast as possible I'll use SSB or FT8 or FT4.

Enjoy what you like to do in this hobby.  Having fun is the most important part.

73

Lee N5SLY

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 7:42 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Back to FT modes ???

On Sunday, September 26, 2021, 05:28:56 PM CDT, John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Good observation about ops filling the waterfall during a contest.  The waterfall fills up during our sprints, but it's mostly our group that fills it.  Where do they go after the sprint?

John
KC3FL